Well, after much wrestling with my computer, I finally was able to upload something! =)

It's called Just Listen, I wrote it for my friend.
Silly love song... yeah...
Please tell me what you think! It's on my profile.
Last edited by GuitarGrrl16 at Feb 17, 2008,
I like your voice! Deeper for a female, serves you well on those vowel sounds. I felt like the lyrics were good, and that the whole barebones acoustic and vocals approach contributes to the feel. I think you could improve your timing at parts on the guitar, but I don't know since recently I've heard songs with voices cracking and guitars out-of-tune that are considered great by a lot of people (a friend played me elliot smith for the first time today). Not saying that's your genre, just to take the crit with a grain of salt if everyone else likes it!

Here's mine for a listen: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784645
Ok good parts first.

I liked the song lyricaly speaking. The music itself wasnt bad and will eventually hold its own. You have a nice voice....more on this later.

What I didnt like. Guitar parts were not in time. I realize that your probably new to the instrument and this will get better. Just spend a little more time on the changes...matter of fact this is something I tell students now and again is once you get started playing a song just quit looking at your fretting hand. Your brain still wants to tell your hand what to do because its getting a visual picture. If you stop looking your finger memory can take over and you will suprise yourself on the chord changes.

YOur vocals could use improvement on timing and maybe a bit more emotion but its a tough call until you get the guitar parts under control. You need to sing with more confidence. If you hold back even 10% it will show. Project your voice (which doesnt mean shout btw) and let it flow naturally.

Whats happened in this song is youve gone flat most of it...but I think its totally correctable. Theres a singers forum here in UG wander over there youll get some great pointers. IMO your voice has potential.

At the skill level your at I thought it was darn good.
If you check my profile song please leave a comment on any part.....THANKS!!!
Last edited by v8ko at Feb 17, 2008,
I always just love hearing a woman singer anymore - so I enjoyed it. I've only recently started trying to sing - and especially sing and play - and I'm finding it difficult - so I can respect your ability.

I can't say I found the guitar very enjoyable to listen to though. I believe recording acoustic guitar can be very challenging, but I'm not an expert at it by any stretch. I wish I knew more about it so I could give some advice, but the guitar sounded sort of thin and lifeless to me.
Quote by SSSteve

I can't say I found the guitar very enjoyable to listen to though. I believe recording acoustic guitar can be very challenging, but I'm not an expert at it by any stretch. I wish I knew more about it so I could give some advice, but the guitar sounded sort of thin and lifeless to me.

Glad you brought that up! I forget to mention that as well.

Grab yourself a thinner pick (.46 mm or thinner) this will allow the pick to sweep over the strings easier and will thicken the sound. Your also pushing the pick to far into the strings, let the pick glide over the strings (more or less) with nice even strums. Try this. In mid strum stop and look how far the pick is on the strings Im guessing that your practically hitting your fingernails on the strings.
If you check my profile song please leave a comment on any part.....THANKS!!!
I recorded it when my strings were pretty much dead, so... the fact that they sounded even remotely decent was kind of a surprise. o_o;
I think I'm gonna redo it, but I wanted to get feedback first.
Thanks for listening, I'll try to correct it. =)
Last edited by GuitarGrrl16 at Feb 17, 2008,
im along the same lines as every1 else here. lyrics are good for sure but just the same with every1 else i wasnt a fan of the guitar.
keep it up though i like your voice. it reminded me of norah jones sort of
"Through every dark night there is a bright day after that so no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it."