I just swapped my original chrome grovers on my epi LP to newer gold grovers. After someone told me about the nature of sustain, I've been paying more attention to the vibrations on my guitar, and when pick the an open string i can feel the vibrations of the strings from the tuners and headstock more than on the body of the guitar. Since I haven't really payed attention to that before, I was wondering if that was normal. I'm fairly new at this and I came here to learn from more experienced players, luthiers, and experts in general. I hope this doesn't earn me a flaming.
Oh my god he asked a SERIOUS NON SEXUAL QUESTION!

FLAME HIM!!!

seriously, no ones gonna flame you for a question like this. In my experience, almost everything effects sustain. Tuners too, but not as much. Everything comes into play, kind of neck, bridge (especialy), nut, strings, pickups, amp and effects (especialy noisegates).
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Haha thanks for the reassurance.

So I'm guessing that it's perfectly normal if I can feel the vibration from the strings ---> headstock + tuners ---> neck --> my left hand or guitar body?? Aside from being normal, is it a good indicator of sustain?? Or is it bad for sustain since my hand could be absorbing the momentum of the vibration? I find this stuff really interesting.
You feel more vibration in the neck/headstock area because its lighter in that area, less mass means easier transfer of vibration. You also can't help but have your hand on the neck to some degree but a light grip certainly sucks less vibs than a gorilla fisted squeeze.
yeah I understand that, but I always wonder if the vibrations that are kept strictly at the body could mean more sustain.
^Umm..what? I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Perceived sustain is dependent on several things. Tube amps help a bunch, so does a healthy amount of gain. And nothing substitutes for good technique. Then the type of bridge can affect it a great deal, too. Same with the material of the nut. The nut material affects it in that something like plastic isn't as effective at transfering vibrations as Tusq or bone. Likewise, a floating trem like a Floyd Rose isn't as effective at transferring vibrations as a hardtail bridge, like a Tune-o-matic.
So couldn't the perceived sustain from a guitar last longer because of the sound waves coming from the amp is adding more momentum to the strings of the guitar? And just for clarification, is sustain the duration that the strings can vibrate enough for the pickup to "pick it up" (in terms of electric guitars)?
Quote by novafx
So couldn't the perceived sustain from a guitar last longer because of the sound waves coming from the amp is adding more momentum to the strings of the guitar?

Yes. That's what is going when you see rockstars run to their amp/cab or a certain spot on stage. You use feedback to your advantage. To create almost infinite sustain.
Awesome fun.
EDIT: Here's a video of Angus Young doing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2qQ-yuq6c

Quote by novafx
And just for clarification, is sustain the duration that the strings can vibrate enough for the pickup to "pick it up" (in terms of electric guitars)?

Pretty much.
Haha awesome. Thanks for the added knowledge. I love this forum