I keep on running into an issue when recording guitar. No matter what mic I use I constantly get a muffled sound from the recording of the guitar. I am using a Shure SM57 and sounds wonderful with my vocals, but no matter what combination of amps and pedals I use it always makes the muffed sound.

If anyone could help I would be very greatful. The mp3 is on my profile.
Like DeathDealer said, it could be partly or wholly to do with placement.
There is poetry in despair.
I've tried close-micing it and setting it back about a foot, which is the recording you hear on my page.

I'm running though a cheap $70 dollar interface into Sonar 6. Could it be the interface or should I try and use an EQ effect in Sonar?
Quote by ChevyChe 23
I've tried close-micing it and setting it back about a foot, which is the recording you hear on my page.

I'm running though a cheap $70 dollar interface into Sonar 6. Could it be the interface or should I try and use an EQ effect in Sonar?

how close did you mic?? most people put it right up against the grill or about an inch off
try different things, center, off center, off axis, on the edge of the cone, on axis with the cone

worry about EQ later. you have to have a good guitar sound in the first place to fix it up with EQ

here's an example of an on axis center & off axis edge diaphragm

Last edited by DeathDealer at Feb 18, 2008,