So I don't really know much about computers, but I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop, came out in 2004 or 2005 I think, and I use the speakers that came with it. Well the speakers decided not to work except when I'm using a media player (iTunes etc). The green light is still on, and the speakers are plugged in, but whenever I double click on the volume shortcut thing on the bottom left of the screen, it says:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This program will now close."

I can't get any volume on the internet (YouTube and what have you) or with any other programs I have. This has happened before, but I don't know why, and it has always stopped after about a day. All help would be appreciated.
"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

That is what you need to do.
Did you accidentally delete your sound driver? If you did have fun looking for it on the internet.

Check windows volume.

Start/programs/accessories/entertainmen/volume control
Sounds like a bad driver update. This happened to me before. I got a corrupt update for my sound driver and I had no sound. Check if you have recently updated and system restore to a point before that. If that doesn't work try to update your sound card driver. If that doesn't work, you might have to reformat (which is what I had to to, but I got another corrupt update right after the sound card update as well, ****ing Vista auto update).

If it is from an update, I would recommend turning auto update off. I forgot to do this on my new laptop and after 2 days I had two corrupt drivers. Luckily my reformat was only on a 2 day old laptop.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...