I began playing the guitar for about five months and have learned to pick very, very fast, but it is only a down stroke. how do i break this habit, it is bothering me alot and limiting my ability, i can almost play Master of Puppets by Metallica with only a downstroke but is is a few beats too slow and if i play that fast only picking downwords it gets a little tiring. how can i fix this b4 it gets out of hand?
I wouldnt fix it, Picking fast down-strokes is way harder than tremolo picking, keep playing the song with down strokes. but for other stuff tilt your pick so you're kind of
"cutting" the string.
Downpicking fast is a very important part of metal, so be proud that you have that down. Go check out some Paul Gilbert lessons on youtube for alternate picking exercises, or if you're trying to play powerchords with upstrokes and downstrokes, practice some old school punk like the misfits or something.
wow thanx, that "cutting" tip was amazing. I just tried it and it just got so much easier to alt-pick.
Quote by zbest
wow thanx, that "cutting" tip was amazing. I just tried it and it just got so much easier to alt-pick.

How?Angle the pick so that it's parallel to the strings?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
How?Angle the pick so that it's parallel to the strings?

no, so its at least 45 degrees perpendicular to the string.