I got a B-52 AT-212 about 6 months ago and i love the amp to death. the only problem i find with it is the gain channel with some good amount of gain seems to get real muddy and undefined. I really want a tight over driven sound that that will help define my chords with Gain.

What do i need to achieve this? pedals, tubes, pickups?

thanks for the help
Cheers
go for either a pair of celestion vintage 30's or greenbacks. though don't make your final decision on what you're going to do to fix your problem just yet; wait till someone with higher knowledge comes in here. changing the speakers is usually a good idea if you wanna tighten up a loose end, but personally, i have never been able to here what good speakers vs. bad speakers sound like.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12M25-Greenback-12-Speaker?sku=660250
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-Vintage-30-Speaker?sku=660230
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Get an EQ. Get the 10 Band MXR if you can. If you cant go for the 6 band MXR
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
New speaker, the B-52 stock ones are lame. I'd go with an Eminence Govenor because it is less harsh than the V30 and it should smooth out the gain pretty well without adding treble spikes and adding alot of clarity and bass response.
12 fret fury
Other than a new speaker and/or pickups in your guitar...theres nothing that can really help you with that. Thats just how the amp sounds. Its like buying a Mesa Recto and wanting it to be less fizzy...you cant really change it...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Other than a new speaker and/or pickups in your guitar...theres nothing that can really help you with that. Thats just how the amp sounds. Its like buying a Mesa Recto and wanting it to be less fizzy...you cant really change it...

actually.

You could change the output transformer to one thats more "pre-500". Or opt for the Dual Channel.

that'll kick the fizz in the pants.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join

Ruin my analogy why dontcha...

Ok ok...other than changing a bunch of crap on the amp*

lol
you could try an OD as a boost/tightener. Works wonders to tighten up a gain channel, just keep the OD very low on the pedal, and set the output high. Pickups, speakers, tubes, they all contribute though, every little bit helps. A good OD used as a boost can make a big difference right off the bat though.

Quote by Striketalonx
actually.

You could change the output transformer to one thats more "pre-500". Or opt for the Dual Channel.

that'll kick the fizz in the pants.

people highly underestimate how much of a difference an OT can make, it's a big part of an amps overall voicing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Usually, increasing the treble/mids and lowering the bass a bit will make it more defined.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I always replace tubes & speakers on friends amps. Clears up a slew of problems. The OT makes a massive difference, but you might not want that. Some clearer pickups and a noise reducer can help too.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
From my experience with muddy amps and eqing them to rectify this is that its usually the mid bass thats responsible for the percieved muddiness. Dual rectos suffer this alot due to a their tonality being quite mid bass light unless really cranked and im guessing that the B52 will be rather similar as its voicing is rather close to the dual recto.

My advice is to use a eq pedal and instead of boosting the mid bass frequencies like you would think, instead cut all the rest leaving the mid bass at 0. The reasoning behind this is when you boost frequencies the gain increases and you get an audible volume boost but if you cut you dont get a major loss in volume which is hardly audible. Its going to take some time to get results, so good luck mate.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Feb 17, 2008,