how do you play the rest of the strings without playing the top string? i know there are many songs that are played like this, and i can't seem to do it without playing the top string. any advice?
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

my thumb doesnt reach
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

....sigh.....if one of your fingers are holding a note on the A-string, mute it with that finger, I'm afraid you have no other choice.
Quote by deathpidgeon
mute it with your thumb

NO! that will just lead to sloppy playing. if ur not using all ur fingers use one to mute but never use ur thumb! like if ur doing a power chord on the a string use ur middle finger to mute the e...or just get really friggin acurate like me n u wont have to mute...not trying to say im a god or nething just that i have great accuracy w/ my picking hand...it also helps to have smaller pix like the dunlop jazz 3s...best pick in the world...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by deathpidgeon
....sigh.....if one of your fingers are holding a note on the A-string, mute it with that finger, I'm afraid you have no other choice.

u must not kno **** bout muting...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by albinokrikit
NO! that will just lead to sloppy playing. if ur not using all ur fingers use one to mute but never use ur thumb! like if ur doing a power chord on the a string use ur middle finger to mute the e...or just get really friggin acurate like me n u wont have to mute...not trying to say im a god or nething just that i have great accuracy w/ my picking hand...it also helps to have smaller pix like the dunlop jazz 3s...best pick in the world...

you can't mute a note on a string with just one finger, that will cause a harmonic, and, more often than not, will sound like sh*t. using your thumb is fine, i do it a lot onstage so that i can just (for lack of a better term) swing away with my picking hand. it can also create a precussive kind of sound which can sound cool.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by deathpidgeon
excellent....

what is that suppose to mean? i cant mute it with my thumb, but i can with another finger if im not using it...i just have to practice doing that.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

You shouldn't really be muting with your thumb.

Muting with one finger will usually be ok (unless you're using shedloads of gain), but you don't want to try and mute a string on a strong harmonic node.

Really, you should be training your picking hand to avoid playing it. The best way is to play really slowly until you get used to avoiding it, and working it up from there. But it's still best to mute it with another finger anyway, just to stop it vibrating/feeding back.