so let's say soon i buy the MXR 6 band EQ for extra tone shaping, when i use it which will be more beneficial?

setting the EQ on my amp's channel all to 12 o'clock and adjusting just the EQ pedal

OR

adjusting the EQ on my amp's channel to what is close to what i like and then do final bit w/ the pedal?

altho the latter seems like it would be the answer, i would rather hear from those w/ experience w/ using external EQ pedals. i think the former suggestion mite be better b/c all i'd have to do to really change my sound is adjust the gain knob on my channel, and just mess w/ the highs and mids and lows on the pedal frequencies, whereas if i EQ w/ BOTH the amp's EQ and the pedals', i'll have to mess w/ twice as many knobs everytime i change my sound.

i hope i was logical and made enuff sense for yall

thanx
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005

adjusting the EQ on my amp's channel to what is close to what i like and then do final bit w/ the pedal?

I always do that.

Get your set up going the best you can..and fix whatever is lacking (or visa-versa) with the pedal.
use the eq pedal to fine tune
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
sounds fine to me, but u understand why i think it'd be a lil more hassle that way...b/c i don't leave my amp's dirty channel at one sound all the time, i adjust the gain and highs and mids to switch from overdriven blues, 80s metal, thrashy, and of course metal.

if i were to go w/o buying the mxr 10 band and stuck w/ a 6 band, could i adjust it to give me more or less gain? or would that take away from the extra frequencies i could use to my advantage?

the only prob w/ the 10 band is that it takes a larger power supply and i think i'd like to use same voltage power supplies if possible. if not i could buy a daisy chain for my 3 other pedals and use a diff. one for the 10 band..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
To go from metal to blues all you gotta do is roll off the volume on your guitar bit...thats what I do anyway...
I have a question about an EQ.
Would i be able to use it to cut gain?
I have a valve amp and i only use the clean channel, i switch the clean channel to crunch and turn the volume of the clean up so i get a nice heavy OD. I still wanna have a clean channel but when i turn it's volume up it's too crunch but i don't wanna turn it down because i will loose the gain in the crunch.
Any ideas?