Ok, my best buddy bought me this guitar for Christmas (I'm very grateful). I love the guitar, but the hardware it came with was cheap (basically same as a Squire guitar). The guitar has no sustain and it doesn't handle distortion well.

I was planning on swapping out the pick-ups for more distortion and sustain. Also, the tuners on the headstock. It doesn't stay in tune very well. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as pick-ups go? I'm into the Foo Fighters and RHCP and the sort... if that helps.

Here are some crappy pics taken by my cell phone.

Headstock

Body
Click here

What kind of music u wanna play? as in genre, not just 2 bands...
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
I'm pretty bad with pickup decisions, but it looks like you should probably go for a whole rewiring for the electronics.

And probably some locking tuners with a new bone nut or something with it.

Also is it just me or does that guitar look like it's a cookie sheet with really high walls?
^ Whoa....
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
What kind of music u wanna play? as in genre, not just 2 bands...

Rock, Alternative, "Indie"... Um... I guess I want it to be clean when it needs to be clean and dirty when it needs to be dirty you know?
Click here

also tighten the springs on the wammy if u dont want it to go out of tune...which also means DONT USE THE WAMMY
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by albinokrikit
also tighten the springs on the wammy if u dont want it to go out of tune...which also means DONT USE THE WAMMY

I don't use it anyway so no prob there.
Click here

Hmm...i can only reccomend stuff for distortion/leads...just go on Seymour Duncan's website, find a pickups that matches your genres, then come here and ask how it is. What i'm gettin is SD Invader, SD Hot Rails, SD Full Shred...for leads and distorted...ness
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
is that acrylic? neway pup wise the only one i can suggest i cant remember the name of but its a seymore duncan n its a HB in SC form...i wanna say hotrails is the name but im not sure...but pop that in the bridge n it should be perfect...i put one on my crap-strat in the neck cuz its a fat strat n wouldnt sit rite w/ the pickguard...also put in a duncan invader in the bridge...id like to get a set o 3 "hotrails" or whatever their called n pop em in the crap-strat...
Edit: i knew it was hotrails...thanx guy above me
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
^ Yeah thats hot rails, im gettin one of those...awesome
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
o n btw check out this
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/zmanhelp/
if u need help w/ other stuff...
Quote by aig91

Quote by neptune1988
Quote by aaron00lee
Hmm...i can only reccomend stuff for distortion/leads...just go on Seymour Duncan's website, find a pickups that matches your genres, then come here and ask how it is. What i'm gettin is SD Invader, SD Hot Rails, SD Full Shred...for leads and distorted...ness

Ok, I was considering getting SD Hot Rails before I even started this thread, but wasn't sure. I guess I was on the right track in the first place.

Quote by albinokrikit
is that acrylic? neway pup wise the only one i can suggest i cant remember the name of but its a seymore duncan n its a HB in SC form...i wanna say hotrails is the name but im not sure...but pop that in the bridge n it should be perfect...i put one on my crap-strat in the neck cuz its a fat strat n wouldnt sit rite w/ the pickguard...also put in a duncan invader in the bridge...id like to get a set o 3 "hotrails" or whatever their called n pop em in the crap-strat...
Edit: i knew it was hotrails...thanx guy above me

Yes, it's acrylic.

Alright cool, well thanks for all your guys' help and advice.
Click here

Yeah you can't go wrong with Hot Rails
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Dimarzio's are the ****. I use a Fred and PAF pro in my JS and really like the tone. I also agree you should rewire everything and replace all those ****ty pots and the jack.

And FWIW the tuners probably aren't the biggest problem for tuning that thing. My guess is the nut is cut pretty badly and is making the strings bind. In my experience there are some Squire-esque guitars that are worth modding, and others that are just way too much trouble. Try to figure out what kind of guitar you've got there before pouring tons of cash into it.

EDIT: Oh, right, you don't have humbuckers... lol. Well, in the event that the guitar has bad natural tone, it'll help mask it if you put some high-powered pups in. Some sort of stacked pickups should do the trick. If the guitar resonates nicely when played acoustic I'd say go for some nice vintage-style strat pups that'll give a knopfler type sound. I had a strat a while ago with noiseless ones and I didn't like them nearly as much as just normal single coils.

EDIT II: Any good set of strat single coils should nail RHCP...
Last edited by bullets34 at Feb 17, 2008,
Awesome, a transparent guitar! Looks way cool.

I've no experience in changing pickups, but I'd think maybe try a single-coil sized humbucker. Seymour Duncan makes them, I think
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Quote by bullets34
Dimarzio's are the ****. I use a Fred and PAF pro in my JS and really like the tone. I also agree you should rewire everything and replace all those ****ty pots and the jack.

And FWIW the tuners probably aren't the biggest problem for tuning that thing. My guess is the nut is cut pretty badly and is making the strings bind. In my experience there are some Squire-esque guitars that are worth modding, and others that are just way too much trouble. Try to figure out what kind of guitar you've got there before pouring tons of cash into it.

EDIT: Oh, right, you don't have humbuckers... lol. Well, in the event that the guitar has bad natural tone, it'll help mask it if you put some high-powered pups in. Some sort of stacked pickups should do the trick. If the guitar resonates nicely when played acoustic I'd say go for some nice vintage-style strat pups that'll give a knopfler type sound. I had a strat a while ago with noiseless ones and I didn't like them nearly as much as just normal single coils.

EDIT II: Any good set of strat single coils should nail RHCP...

Yeah, the guitar itself is not total crap, but it needs to upgrade. I'm planning on getting it re-wired on the inside and replacing the bridge pick-up with a single coil sized humbucker and then the middle and neck pick-ups with regular single-coils (Like you said for RHCP)

Quote by matthewchj
Awesome, a transparent guitar! Looks way cool.

I've no experience in changing pickups, but I'd think maybe try a single-coil sized humbucker. Seymour Duncan makes them, I think

Thanks. I love how it's see-through. Totally awesome. And yes, Seymour Duncan does make them. I want to get a SD Hot Rail for the bridge.
Click here

you're not gonna go all "chili peppers wear only a sock" with that now are you?

>.o
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Mar 7, 2008,