So I wanted to get some SNES roms, but i just wanted to make sure it's legal. I know I'm not paying for it, but at the same time the only place you can get them are thrift stores and ebay, so nintendo isn't losing money, right?
I don't think it's copyrighted anymore, so it shouldn't be illegal.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Yes, illegal. Enjoy your jail time.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
Yes, illegal. Enjoy your jail time.

Battle Toads and Double Dragons are worth it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Battle Toads VS Double Dragon sure is.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
this will probly be closed by the time i press submit but

im sure no game companies care if you download roms. thats like 5 dollers out of there pocket but it would cost them hundreds to track down and sue you.
Illegal, but nobody gets caught/arrested for doing it. It's true that the company isn't losing money, I can't think of any moral reasons not to download them.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
They are, but I don't think anyone gives a **** anymore.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
The internet doesn't have rules.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
its illegal unfortunately.

the second the they are downloaded, the feds bust your door down and shoot down anyone in their way to get you.

then you're deported to a Venezuelan prison where you become "los gringo puta"
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
The internet doesn't have rules.

tell that to chris hanson
It says on most rom sites that its only legal if you already own the actual cartridge...how they trust people I will never know.
Some don't have copyrights on them anymore and are legal to download. coolrom, or whatever only has legal roms
If you download a few no worries. If you download like 50gigs worth of roms and emulators just to put on your xbox, you might want to watch out.

<watches out>
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
If you download a few no worries. If you download like 50gigs worth of roms and emulators just to put on your xbox, you might want to watch out.

<watches out>

haha nah, i jsut want earthbound.
Quote by soulflyV
Don't forget CHRONO TRIGGER.

Man I love that game.

Okay, any games with toads/frogs are worth it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Well technicly yeah but its getting hard as hell to find some that arent protected and are actually downloadable

if someone can actually PM me with a site where i can get SNES,NES GB,GBA,N64 roms with no trouble that would be most appreciated.
Quote by Spamwise
haha nah, i jsut want earthbound.

Make damn sure you get Secret of Mana and Zombies Ate My Neighbors as well, it'll keep you entertained for too damn long. Oh, nostalgia!

But I did once read, out of curiosity, on Nintendo's website (someone else can find it, try Google Search: emulator snes legal. I would look, but I'm too damn lazy) that they are adamantly opposed to it (possibly out of jealousy?), and they cite that it is purely illegal. They say that rule of owning the original cartridge, downloading for only 24 hours, etc. are just myths and the fact is that it's illegal so you shouldn't do it.

On terms of copyright, the first video game had a copyright to last for 50, so theoretically, the earliest video game you could download is one from 1958, before video games existed.

That being said, definitely go for ZSNES, it's the best snes emulator.

In fact, my rule of thumb is nothing N64 or later, and nobody should care.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Only illegal if you don't own the game, if you don't own it you can keep it for 24 hours then have to delete it.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Oh my god I thought I was the only person that owned that game.

So. Much. Win.