I ve been playing for a year and a half now i know chords ,bar chords, minor pentatonic all over the neck, tapping, some legato, minor and major 1 box, basic theory (chord construction, scale degrees, etc).

So do i need to know a bunch of stuff before i start sweeping or can i just learn it seperately without knowing really complex stuff before it.

Should i go ahead and learn or lear some other techniques first ( please specify which)

thanks guys
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
if you're up for a challenge, then yeah your ready. just go for it and learn it slowly, and i'd recomend some of the lessons here on ug, mainly some of the shred master class videos
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
cool than ks guys i was thinking of trying the 2 month sweeping challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFWBhmE_jw&NR=1 which sounds pretty intresting.

And ya ive been up for a chalenge for a while now im stoked
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
go for it, start with major and minor arpeggios, it will probably take a few months to get it good at it.

I found an exercise the Michael Angelo teaches REALLY helps with this.
------------------------------1h2--3p2-------------------------------------------
-------------------------1h2------------3p2------------------------------------
-------------------1h2-----------------------3p2-------------------------------
-------------1h2-----------------------------------3p2------------------------- etc..
-------1h2-----------------------------------------------3p2------------3h4--
-1h2----------------------------------------------------------3p2--3h4-------

Continue this pattern up to the 12th fret, using every combination of 2 fingers (index, middle/index, ring/index, pinky/ middle ring/middle pinky/ring,pinky)
Sweep this, slowly at first, make sure you are sweeping it, not picking. Will help synchronize VERY quickly, after a day or two, you will probably notice it comes easier, at least i did.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I'd say learn the minor scale all over the neck. It'll make learning the arpeggios a lot easier. If you already know minor pentatonic it'll be really easy, plus it'll give you everything you need to know for all the modes.

You should also be really good at legato to do the cooler sweeps, I.E. the Malmsteen/Gilbert/Vai type stuff. When you say you know "some legato" that makes it seem like you should probably practice that more, since legato is not really helpful for sweeping unless you can change positions and fingerings at will.

As for technique... you can always start small (2 strings) and gradually get bigger and better.
ok cool so i could do some basic sweeps now but if i wanna do some real complex ones i gotta perfect the other techniques

and to the the other guy thanks for the exercise
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
I really think you should learn your modes in all positions 3 notes per string, economy picking before delving into sweeping... Thats what I teach my students, and seems to help.... To be able to sweep proficently you have to be 110% confident with your picking technique....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
so the modes of the major/minor scale would be a good thing to learn
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
If you have some type of p2p software(limeware, ares, ect..) download some Paul Gillbert instructional videos(cant remember the names) but thats what helped me when learning to sweep. Try to find basic 3 string sweeps to get you started, they sound good and are easy once you get them going...Like others have said, learning the modes, ect..can be helpful, but I knew hardly any theory at all when I started sweeping, so I don't think it's essential at all, just learn the basic patterns first.
Quote by teamramrod
If you have some type of p2p software(limeware, ares, ect..) download some Paul Gillbert instructional videos(cant remember the names) but thats what helped me when learning to sweep. Try to find basic 3 string sweeps to get you started, they sound good and are easy once you get them going...Like others have said, learning the modes, ect..can be helpful, but I knew hardly any theory at all when I started sweeping, so I don't think it's essential at all, just learn the basic patterns first.

is it like the intense rock techniques or something and he has sweet hair
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
cool ill check it out
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
The first song i tried to sweep was serrana. I would try that. As you are learning sweeping try the different arpeggios in it slowly. Its a great song since it has a broad variety of arpeggios. It will help you learn to change between arpeggios, and will speed you up as you get better.
Quote by nyandres
The first song i tried to sweep was serrana. I would try that. As you are learning sweeping try the different arpeggios in it slowly. Its a great song since it has a broad variety of arpeggios. It will help you learn to change between arpeggios, and will speed you up as you get better.

Serrana would be a pretty good example for learning a lot of the common sweep patterns, and its a great song. But imo by no means is it good for someone just starting to sweep, that is if they actually plan to play it up to speed.