hey, I just had a thought, Could you glue a small square of wood into the bottom of a pickup cavaty so that the pickup actually makes contact with the body of the guitar? I just thought that this might improve the tone, since the body vibrates to make it's contrabution to the tone, So in with any ordinary pickup, to tonal effects of the body would be more substantial, No?
I also thought, you could replace the screws that hold the pickup on with something more substantial, like a bolt or something, for a similar effect.

Anyone tried this, or have anything to say on it?
Pickups are electric, they produce a signal when a magnetic feild is created/disturbed by the strings that pass over the magnets within the pickup.

Having them touch the wood will really change the tone in no way I would imagine (as the string movement would be unaffected by the addition of a block of wood or bigger bolts).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Pickups are electric, they produce a signal when a magnetic feild is created/disturbed by the strings that pass over the magnets within the pickup.

Having them touch the wood will really change the tone in no way I would imagine (as the string movement would be unaffected by the addition of a block of wood or bigger bolts).

Yes, but the pickup will move relative to the strings, and any change in the magnetic field produces a voltage.
i did something about pickups on my ex-guitar : i put aluminum foil under them (i used chocolate foil)this should eliminate most of the humming of the pickups but havent heard about things you said and i tend to agree with no 3 up here
Quote by GuitarHero0715
I would think it would produce more feedback, because instead of the strings vibrating above the pickups, the pickups would be vibrating under the strings?

yeah, the guitar's body might act like a giant microphone diaphram.
Quote by jimRH7
Yes, but the pickup will move relative to the strings, and any change in the magnetic field produces a voltage.

well i would imagine that would make it less loud if it moved the same way as the strings, kind of like phase cancellation only different.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
My Parker has them mounted directly to the wood. It sounds just fine. No issues.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
My Parker has them mounted directly to the wood. It sounds just fine. No issues.

are the bottom of the pickups actually in full contact with the body, or is there a gap of air/soft foam underneath them ?
I haven't had them out yet, so I'm not positive, but I think they are like the Fly, and have a thin piece of foam underneath. The mounting screws go straight into the wood, so there is quite a firm contact (the pickups are solid and don't wobble with finger pressure). I am planning to change them next time I have to do strings, so I will have a positive answer then.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
If there was a good reason to solid mount pickups some company would have done it by now. The big problem you would find is getting the pickup height right. With screws its a simple matter to raise or lower. With solid mount like you are wanting to do a shim would need to be put under it to raise, which would involve removing strings and pickup to do. As for any advantage in tone dont know.
Errr... This is a forum of guitarists, and this thread has been open for almost seven hours. And of all the users who have seen it, none have ever seen a guitar with no pickup rings? How about half of all Ibanez RGs? And Parker? EVH's Frankenstrat?

Well, what you should do first is be sure your pickup is at your preferred height right now. Then you measure how high above the guitar's top of your pickup is sitting. Then you remove the strings or slacken them completely and unscrew your pickups. Then you find something like cardboard that you can cut into the rough shape of the pickup cavity, and that's also suitably stiff, but not too thick so you can stack these shims to get small height increments. Cut out a whole bunch of these and start putting them into the cavity, dropping your pickup in there at regular intervals to see if you're getting close to the height it started out at. When you've got it dead on, remove all the shims and measure how tall the stack is. This is the thickness of the block of wood you'll be cutting out for your pickup to be mounted to.

I'll let you figure out how to fasten said block to the guitar, and the pickup to the block.

Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by jimRH7
hey, I just had a thought, Could you glue a small square of wood into the bottom of a pickup cavaty so that the pickup actually makes contact with the body of the guitar? I just thought that this might improve the tone, since the body vibrates to make it's contrabution to the tone, So in with any ordinary pickup, to tonal effects of the body would be more substantial, No?
I also thought, you could replace the screws that hold the pickup on with something more substantial, like a bolt or something, for a similar effect.

Anyone tried this, or have anything to say on it?

You are correct. It changes the tone, gives you more sustain, and more life but at the same time it causes some microphonics. In the right playing situations it can be the best thing you could ever do for your tone and in the wrong playing situations it could mean you don't get anything but feedback. Try it and see what you think of it for you.

Quote by Tackleberry
If there was a good reason to solid mount pickups some company would have done it by now. The big problem you would find is getting the pickup height right. With screws its a simple matter to raise or lower. With solid mount like you are wanting to do a shim would need to be put under it to raise, which would involve removing strings and pickup to do. As for any advantage in tone dont know.

Fender tele neck pickups used to be mounted like this so it has been done. The reason it doesn't happen often is the exact reason you listed. hight adjustment would need shims rather than just turning a screw and that is just too much work for most people.

Quote by Pikka Bird
Errr... This is a forum of guitarists, and this thread has been open for almost seven hours. And of all the users who have seen it, none have ever seen a guitar with no pickup rings? How about half of all Ibanez RGs? And Parker? EVH's Frankenstrat?

Those all have a sponge pad under the pickup which dampens things a bit. There is a bit difference between direct mount pickups and pickups that actually make physical contact with the wood of the guitar.

one final edit Just want to clarify things a little bit about why the pickup will sound differant when mounted this way. When the pickup is mounted directly to the guitar the wires inside the pickup vibrate. The vibrating wire act like a microphone (somebody else mentioned this before) rather than like a regular pickup. In fact, if you have a loosly wound pickup that has the magnet sidways, you can sing into the pickup and use it like a mic. This is also the reason unpotted PAFs make a clicking noise when you tap them. So by mounting firmly to the body of the guitar you get all of it's pickup action and you get it's microphone action so it's like 2 in one. Sometimes 2 is too much and other times is just right. That ed roman artical is one of the few that I agree with. Although he assumes that everybody will prefer the tone he likes better which is foolish, his reasons for direct coupling are valid. The question is, are the advantages (the change in tone) worth the disadvantages.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 18, 2008,
You said that it'll be more prone to feedback, Would making a good job of potting the pickup reduce this effect?
yo dawg i herd u liek bringing up old threads

so i reported them for close.
*reported*
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.