Im going to start shopping for another amp soon and so far i've narrowed my search down to these two. Both are about £550 which is pretty much my budget. I don't need loads of headroom so i dont want anything over 15 watts. I've played through a AC15 and it was pretty nice. I dont want an AC30 as i prefer the AC15's brighter sound (though i was using a telecaster).

I cant play the lionheart as nowhere i know stocks it so has any one played it? i like the fact its only 5 watts which probably means i can turn it up a bit more.

I already have a laney VC30 which tonally is OK but its so unreliable. I just got it back friday after being repaired for 2 months, turned it on and it broke again

Im open to other suggestions too...
Im not nesecarily looking for a bright amp but i don't want an amp thats voiced too similar to my VC30.
Where the hell are you finding the AC15 as £550? That's AC30 territory, and I suggest you try the AC30 again with that tele, as most tend to find the AC30 has superior tone.

The Lionheart is hugely overpriced for what it is.... It's basically a boutique-aimed production line amp. The speaker is great, but everything on it is a premium, and then you remember it's only 5w, and even then not far off from the amazing Cornfords.

I'd go play an AC30 if I were you.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ celestion blue speaker

Dont get me wrong i do like the AC30 i just want a slightly different tone. And is the celestion blue worth the extra £150??? or could i just replace the stock with a greenback or something???
Last edited by bobeatsbob at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by bobeatsbob
^ celestion blue speaker

Dont get me wrong i do like the AC30 i just want a slightly different tone. And is the celestion blue worth the extra £150??? or could i just replace the stock with a greenback or something???

The Celestion Blue is a great speaker. It gave the AC30 much of its tone.

However, the AC30 is great with greenbacks too. If you want something cheaper, try toe Eminence Private Jack (Greenback clone rated at 50w instead of 25), Red Fang (Celestion Blue-clone) or the The Wizard (G12H-clone).
Quote by johlin
The Celestion Blue is a great speaker. It gave the AC30 much of its overdrive tone.

However, the AC30 is great with greenbacks too. If you want something cheaper, try toe Eminence Private Jack (Greenback clone rated at 50w instead of 25), Red Fang (Celestion Blue-clone) or the The Wizard (G12H-clone).
Kinda fixed.

The Blue has it's own voice, sure, but it's not significantly 'better' than any of those listed above until you get the AC15/30 cranked, wheen the Blues break up as well and really add a lot to the tone.

When not cranked, they add something, but it's not what you'd expect for the money.
Quote by johlin
The Celestion Blue is a great speaker. It gave the AC30 much of its tone.

Sorry i meant is it worth it for the AC15?
Quote by bobeatsbob
Sorry i meant is it worth it for the AC15?

Try it out. It might not be worth the extra £150. As MrCarrot said, it's great at higher volumes. The AlNiCo-magnet can't handle as much and compresses nicely when it breaks up. However, it's not £150-better than the other speaker. You might be just as happy with a Greenback.

I'd say buy the cheaper version. If you dislike the speaker, get an Eminence The Wizard/Private Jack/Red Fang.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
What types of music will you be playing, and also, will you be gigging?

Will probably get gigged and maybe used in rehearsals if its up to it. I mainly play alternative stuff and dare i say indie (not too generic) so I want a decent crunchy sound something similar to Kings of Leons older sound maybe a bit brighter. Defintately wont be used for anyhting heavier than that. when with my band i play lead but no cheesy solos so i wont need lots of sustain/gain. At home i play some hendrix and the odd bit of blues but not that much...
Its crap because it keeps breaking... I think i move it around too much but i need too. Its also ****ing heavy cus its 212...
Quote by bobeatsbob
Its crap because it keeps breaking... I think i move it around too much but i need too. Its also ****ing heavy cus its 212...

Lesson learnt for not getting a 112.

I don't really think the Lionhearts worth it, it's only really got a notably nicer drive channel.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by dsubstanceuk
212 > 112. :p
Yeah, no.

How's it break exactly?
Quote by dsubstanceuk
If only there was a VC30-410. GAS.

Get the 2x10 plus the GS210VE cabinet. Problem solved, and also a great looking rig.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
You don't move it around when it's on do you? Well, get it fixed properly, and replace the speakers and valves. Is that fact that it's unreliable your problem, or do you not like the tone? If you're into indie/alternative stuff, then a Hot Rod Deluxe sounds right up your street.

No i dont move it when its on. I havent had the amp working for last 3 months and it has broken before that. I was going to replace the speakers but i heard somewhere that it will void my warranty which has become so usefull more recently. i use my amps drive channel and I rarely use pedals really unless i need a pitch shifter or crazy reverb from my tonelab. And i've heard the HRD's od channel is naf.

And yeah i thought i would be better of with a 212 unfortunately that was my ego playing with me and now my back has been punished.
Quote by bobeatsbob
Will probably get gigged and maybe used in rehearsals if its up to it. I mainly play alternative stuff and dare i say indie (not too generic) so I want a decent crunchy sound something similar to Kings of Leons older sound maybe a bit brighter. Defintately wont be used for anyhting heavier than that. when with my band i play lead but no cheesy solos so i wont need lots of sustain/gain. At home i play some hendrix and the odd bit of blues but not that much...

A 5W amp is too small for gigs, and if you're playing a lot of cleans 15W is probably too small, too.

The AC30 is a superior amp to the AC15. Better tone, tube rectified, more features. At GAK.uk, you can get the AC30CC1 for less money than the AC15CC1x that you're looking at. Celestion Blue or not, you'll be much better off with the AC30. The stock Neodog is a quality speaker, but if you don't like it, you can always swap it out for the Eminence Red Fang (or other speakers mentioned above).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm not particularly well versed in the ways of AC15/30's, but I believe they are quite notorious for blowing up/catching fire etc etc, so if you are looking for reliability you might want to look elsewhere. Possibly. Perhaps.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by dsubstanceuk
:O

What is the GS112VE like with the VC30-212?

Would probably work pretty well, but do you really need 3x12?
Quote by dsubstanceuk

If I bought two of those cabinets, could I have one on the left, and one on the right? Or can you only plug one cabinet in at a time. Either way, if I wanted a 4x12, should I just buy a 2x12 cabinet?

You could probably use two of those cabinets at a time if you change the wiring a little. You need to get the impedance right though, but you can look that up.

You could buy a 2x12 cabinet if you'd rather want that. Laney don't make any VC-styled 2x12-cabinets so you would have to look elsewhere though.
Quote by dsubstanceuk

If I bought two of those cabinets, could I have one on the left, and one on the right? Or can you only plug one cabinet in at a time. Either way, if I wanted a 4x12, should I just buy a 2x12 cabinet?

Ive seen bluesbreaker style 2x12 cabs that look quite a bit like the vc30.

I cant understand why you'd want to have more than 2x12 any way ???

maybe im just too weak???
I've got the Lionheart L20H and a AC30.
Well, have to say, it's not expensive, but build stronger then a Vox.
It's also very reliable. Never blew a tube, also not on the Vox...
Only thing is, if you have the head, you'll have to match it with a good cabinet.
Laney 210 sounds a bit compressed..