Hey guys and gals. I've been playing guitar for a grand total of 2 months now and I'm getting the hang on the basics. However, the cheap-ass amp that I have just doesn't hack it.

So I'm looking for a new practice amp. My ideal amp would be one that plays everything from classic rock to heavy metal (not too much to ask eh??). As I improve I will probably play mainly metal as yes, I am a metal head

I was close to buying Line6's spider 3. But after a bit of research I get the impression the spider series is simply well marketed and therefore a popular amp.. but in reality for it's fairly budget price; Vox and Laney amps offer more quality performance - correct?

Soo, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I've been a bit vague in describing the sort of amp I'd like, go right ahead and throw in some questions.

- many thanks!
i have a spider 3 im a metal head and i love it it gets good clean metal tone as well as uber distortion
I'm from the UK.. my budget for a new amp would be somewhere around £300.

I play mainly rock and metal - lots of metallica, some pantera, ac/dc, led zeppelin, Deep Purple, Judas Priest.. all the usual suspects I guess. Basically rock and metal.
Vox and Laney's are great, but not really for your needs, and you don't need an amazing valve amp yet.
I'd look at Roland Cubes, just not the 15 watter. It can do your rock/metal/mainly metal tones pretty well.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Randall RG50TC for -LAW-.

Looks good man.. sounds like its VERY metal - yet versatile enough to cover softer rock genres. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by Yngwi3
Vox and Laney's are great, but not really for your needs, and you don't need an amazing valve amp yet.
I'd look at Roland Cubes, just not the 15 watter. It can do your rock/metal/mainly metal tones pretty well.

The 30 watter sounds good.. it's just the fact it's a modeling amp. The dudes in my local music shop reckon I'd be better of getting a tube amp because they sound better and would be happy with it longer than I would with any modeling amps.. But I duno - I'm pretty new to this stuff..
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Do not go for a modelling amp when you can afford a tube amp.

They're simply better eh?
Quote by -LAW-
The 30 watter sounds good.. it's just the fact it's a modeling amp. The dudes in my local music shop reckon I'd be better of getting a tube amp because they sound better and would be happy with it longer than I would with any modeling amps.. But I duno - I'm pretty new to this stuff..

Yeah, valve amps are...you know, imo anyway the best amps out there.
BUT
If you want effects so you can learn what they do, keep you preoccupied whilst you're still learning and have a bit of fun with your sound, I'd go for a modeller.
And just a word of advice...the MAJORITY of the time, people in local music shops are trying to sell you something...like an expensive valve amp
I'm not by ANY means saying that moddeling amps are better than valve amps, but in a newbie's situation such as yours, I would go for something you can have a bit of fun with.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Do not go for a modelling amp when you can afford a tube amp.

That's the most stupid piece of advice ever...
What if he WANTS effects?
He's only been playing 2 months, he probably isn't going to be gigging, so therefore probably not going to turn it up loud...and the chances of cranking a 50 watt valve amp are pretty slim anyhow.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Yeah, valve amps are...you know, imo anyway the best amps out there.
BUT
If you want effects so you can learn what they do, keep you preoccupied whilst you're still learning and have a bit of fun with your sound, I'd go for a modeller.
And just a word of advice...the MAJORITY of the time, people in local music shops are trying to sell you something...like an expensive valve amp
I'm not by ANY means saying that moddeling amps are better than valve amps, but in a newbie's situation such as yours, I would go for something you can have a bit of fun with.

That's the most stupid piece of advice ever...
What if he WANTS effects?
He's only been playing 2 months, he probably isn't going to be gigging, so therefore probably not going to turn it up loud...and the chances of cranking a 50 watt valve amp are pretty slim anyhow.

yeeeh.. that's kinda the impression I got off the shop owner tbh. I think there was truth to his words, but at the same time was trying to sell some expensive stuff!!

Sooo, what you're saying is that at my current ability (very inexperienced!!) I'd be better off going for an amp that doesn't break the bank but has a lot of features for me to mess about with? To be honest, I'm pretty sure anything is better than this 10watt piece o naff I got right here!
Quote by -LAW-
To be honest, I'm pretty sure anything is better than this 10watt piece o naff I got right here!

But yeah, I really do.
Valve amps are great and all, but they are expensive, and if you change your mind about playing guitar, which you might...2 months aint that long, you won't be too bothered.
You pretty much understand why I'm recommending this so yeah.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Don't get a modeling amp. Having a bunch of effects will just distract you from actually learning to play. If you have the money and you are willing to spend it on a good tube amp now, then do so. It's a great choice to have a good amp from the beginning to learn EQing a nice tone and so on. Your needs don't need that flexibility from a modeling amp either. You should be able to get a good classic rock tone and also metal out of a regular tube amp. Go try a few Laneys (like the LC15/LC30), Peaveys (like the Valveking and Windsor Studio), Randalls (sorry, can't help you here) or similar. Go try out a few of them and see which one you like.
*Shrugs and leaves thread*
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3

But yeah, I really do.
Valve amps are great and all, but they are expensive, and if you change your mind about playing guitar, which you might...2 months aint that long, you won't be too bothered.
You pretty much understand why I'm recommending this so yeah.

Yeeh man, good advise. Cheers dude
Quote by Yngwi3
*Shrugs and leaves thread*

I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Or what do you mean?
No no, nothing like that haha
I still think a moddeller would be best
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
No no, nothing like that haha
I still think a moddeller would be best

Alright. Each to his own.
Quote by johlin
I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Or what do you mean?

I like the look of the Peavy Valve King 112.

So, what you're saying is I might be better off learning to make tones and stuff from scratch, instead of a modeling amp having do it for me.. in a half-arsed kinda way?
What do you people think of the Randall RX-75R?
Quote by -LAW-
I like the look of the Peavy Valve King 112.

So, what you're saying is I might be better off learning to make tones and stuff from scratch, instead of a modeling amp having do it for me.. in a half-arsed kinda way?

That's my opinion. You don't need a bunch of so-so effects in the beginning. Your scope of tones isn't that huge, so a good rock/metal-amp will do.
So I'd say get a good amp for whatever amount you're willing to pay. Just be sure that you'll continue playing so that you don't spend a fortune and then stop playing.

With a modeling amp, you get a bunch of so-so amps and you'll only use a few of them. It's in my opinion better to get a proper amp that does one thing and does it well (the unix philosophy).

Get a proper tube amp. That's what I would do, if I was 100% sure I was going to continue playing. However, if you think that you might change your style to something totally different (jazz, blues, country, whatever), then a modeling amp might be better since it will give you a larger scope of tones, though it won't do any of those great. Just okay.
Get a nice tube combo that can get classic rock overdrive then buy a nice overdrive pedal to get the metal sounds.Might be a bit more but it will sound alot better than any of the solid state stuff. The Valve king is a good idea. You could use the distortion channel for classic rock and then buy something like the Zakk Wylde overdrive for your high-gain sounds.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by johlin
That's my opinion. You don't need a bunch of so-so effects in the beginning. Your scope of tones isn't that huge, so a good rock/metal-amp will do.
So I'd say get a good amp for whatever amount you're willing to pay. Just be sure that you'll continue playing so that you don't spend a fortune and then stop playing.

With a modeling amp, you get a bunch of so-so amps and you'll only use a few of them. It's in my opinion better to get a proper amp that does one thing and does it well (the unix philosophy).

Get a proper tube amp. That's what I would do, if I was 100% sure I was going to continue playing. However, if you think that you might change your style to something totally different (jazz, blues, country, whatever), then a modeling amp might be better since it will give you a larger scope of tones, though it won't do any of those great. Just okay.

Makes sense. Thanks man - I will most like never change to jazz or anything. I'm a rocker at heart and always will be
Thanks for the advice dude, helped a lot.
Quote by -LAW-
Sooo, what you're saying is that at my current ability (very inexperienced!!) I'd be better off going for an amp that doesn't break the bank but has a lot of features for me to mess about with? To be honest, I'm pretty sure anything is better than this 10watt piece o naff I got right here!

As a total tube snob, I say:

Go with a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix. In fact, see if you can't find one used.

It's good you're so into it, but you've only been playing a short while. The Cube will give a wide variety of easy to use sounds. It'll help you develop your taste for tone, and be better equipped to buy a big ol' proper tube amp down the road. It'll give you an idea of what effects you like to use, and what stompboxes you'll want to buy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
See, there's the double side of it.

If you really, REALLY think you're gonna be playing for a long time, get a tube amp.

If you're not sure that you are, get a modeler. That way, if you quit playing, you won't have put so much into it.

EDIT: Slats pretty much just beat me to it....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by slatsmania
As a total tube snob, I say:

Go with a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix. In fact, see if you can't find one used.

It's good you're so into it, but you've only been playing a short while. The Cube will give a wide variety of easy to use sounds. It'll help you develop your taste for tone, and be better equipped to buy a big ol' proper tube amp down the road. It'll give you an idea of what effects you like to use, and what stompboxes you'll want to buy.

My thinking exactly
Slats
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Tubes:

Randall RG50TC: Good amp, solid distortion tones, lacklustre cleans.
Peavey VK112: Also good, not as good stock, but cheaper. Speaker/Valve swap makes it better than the Randall IMO.

SS:

Roland Cube: Brilliant for metal practice/early players. Lots of different sounds, built in effects. Not as good tonally as either of the two amps above.
damnit. I'm pretty much having the same problem as this dude. Some please answer my question ive been searching for like months. I need at least a 100 watt tube amp for about $600-$800usd. I play funk jazz and metal(killswitch kinda metal) please help!@!@!.

ps. are peavey VK's any good?(be descriptive)
I agree on the Vox Valvetronix, i have one just to mess around with sounds pretty damn good for $180 used.
Quote by mikeiscool
I need at least a 100 watt tube amp for about $600-$800usd.

Why do you feel you need at least 100W?

Quote by mikeiscool
I play funk jazz and metal(killswitch kinda metal) please help!@!@!.

ps. are peavey VK's any good?(be descriptive)

Peavey VK's are alright. They're budget amps and, IMHO, you get what you pay for. They're not very responsive. The cleans are okay, and the gain is modern voiced.

I'd suggest you cut down your wattage requirement, and maybe look into the Traynor YCV 50. Great cleans, good Marshall-like crunch. It'll do metal with a pedal, and cover all your funk and jazz on it's own very nicely.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Get a Vox valvetronix, it's really the best amp for your range. They have a line of valvetronix with higher gain as well if you play metal, can't remember what it is called.

Traynor YCV's are amazing budget amps as well that you can sometimes find used for cheap. Comes with celestions.
I used to have the VOX AD30VT and I liked it a lot. It has a lot of versatility, an interesting array of individual and combo digital effects.

It's pretty darned loud for 30W.

My favorite models in that amp are the Tweed 4x10, AC15, AC30, 70's UK, and Nu Metal. All nice sounding models.

Buy the footswitch along with it. It's worth it to have the added flexibility. Button 1 switches between your memory channels while button 2 either switches effects bypass or manual settings mode. You can literally switch between 3 different models and EQ settings, but the FX have to stay the same with all 3.

Fun for days.
Ok, with all of your opinions, advice and my research I've narrowed my choices down to:
Vox valvetronix either 30 or 50w
Roland Cube either 30 or 60w
or a Laney of some sort... not sure which just yet.

Which do you reckon is best for my situation. Personally atm, im drawn towards the Roland cube because of its outstanding reviews and how well it is suited to playing metal.

Again thanks for all the help people!!
if u go for the rg50tc, u'll need an od pedal for modern high gain.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
If you can get a tube amp get one, you will be better of in the long run. If you stick with guitar you will end up buying one anyway.

Tubes sound better, if I had a tube amp when I first started I would of practiced more and I would be a much better player.

Check out the little 5 watters, add a bad monkey, eq and a wah and you will be set for life.
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
i'm not sure if you're willing to go used but.... if you are, line 6 flextones go pretty cheap on ebay in the uk, they are modellers, have loads of different sounds and effects and sound damn good too. Imo they are better than the low end valve amps in your price range.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

u positive? cos its impossible for me to get the gain that high.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by -LAW-
Which do you reckon is best for my situation. Personally atm, im drawn towards the Roland cube because of its outstanding reviews and how well it is suited to playing metal.

Go with the Cube. It's the right choice for you. The 30 gives you enough power to jam, and given the price difference between the 30 and the 60, I'd stick with the 30.

That said, I suggest you look for used gear. If a Valvetronix hits the market cheap, it'll also suffice. It's also a good way to get a bigger amp for less money.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Just to let you peeps know, I am now the very satisfied owner of a brand spankin Roland Cube 30x!! Only 90quid un all!!

Thanks to you all! Especially Yngwi3, slats, dsubstanceuk.
Wise choice.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace