Page 1 of 2
As a really passionate musician, i keep on thinking, that the world is ruined beyond repair...
Whatever happened to producing good stuff? How come all this vintage music grea is always better? How come brands like Gibson and Marshall no longer make anything that was nearly as good as stuff they made 40 years ago?
How come they harldy make any good music nowadays? How come there are so many idiots out there today? How come the world has become so perverse that at least i think that i was born into a really wrong era of time?
Even modern music recording stuff sucks....whoever doesn't agree that music recorded on large tapes in the 60s/70s/80s sounds better than modern digital recording can suck my ass.

Oh, and why the hell do we download music? We should BUY music. That's the difference between the modern day music scene and the past...people in the past would either buy the CDs/tapes or go to small clubs to listen to a band (thus supporting it financially and morally). Plus you could spread the word and thus giving it a larger fanbase . i remember, when i was smaller i used to record tapes off the radio, and damn did that kick ass. It was bad quality, but damn was it pleasing.

Now we're in a situation, where only mainstream bands (chosen by really retarded money-crazed people in the record companies) that reign, no matter how bad they are, and there are no more bands (very little that is) that have actually gotten successful thanks to 'the people's choice'. 90% of the society will just eat whatever you feed to them.

And **** everyone who thinks trance is more advanced than rock n roll. Yeah...more fkin advanced in electronics, but lacks soul. How can you possibly say that *insert any zeppelin song here* is less soulful, or has a lesser message than a fkin electronic drum beat with really cheesy lyrics and really primitive melodies? DrumnbBass soulful - Fk you!

And why do i hate this ****? It's cause trance (and mainstream rap to some extent) have made the world into a hellhole. Damnit, I cant even go to the city alone anymore cause all these fags go into 'Gangsta mode' thanks to something they've seen in a 50 cent movie or something, and start running after me and showing me knives, just cause i look like i rock, and just cause i have long hair...Damn, all i did was just mind my own business, listen to music and keep a low profile. I dont need to say anything, and those fags just come and start their psychological warfare.

Meh....I just had to get all that off my chest.
Capitalism is your friend.

Anyway, who cares what is popular? Not me, I listen to Enya.
you aint the only one man

if some of the bands from back then knew that crap like Nickelback or dare i say it... nu-metal was coming, they probably woulda kicked all the record exec's asses

everything's made cheap and just made to make whoever made it money, its not to put out a quality product anymore

the world truly sucks
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Mediocrity triumphs.

Read more Shakespeare. He helps.

Oil ruins us. All this "climate change" effort may be all well and good, but the motives for it are rotten as week-old fish. Governments are trying to twist the current crisis in the environment into a stick with which to beat the Saudis and other oil-producing countries.

Why do you think we went into Iraq? Personally, I think Afghanistan was genuinely a failed state and did need some form of assistance, be there "terrorists" or otherwise. But Iraq was blatent and disgusting capitalism.

We wonder why we (the US/UK) don't go into Sudan. Oil. The people don't have what the oil barons want. And we are as guilty as the rest, in our BMWs and our disposable lifestyle.

It sickens me.
Quote by TheShubes
you aint the only one man

if some of the bands from back then knew that crap like Nickelback or dare i say it... nu-metal was coming, they probably woulda kicked all the record exec's asses

everything's made cheap and just made to make whoever made it money, its not to put out a quality product anymore

the world truly sucks

I disagree, whilst there is a lot of **** music being made, there are still just as many fantastic artists about, you just have to sift through all the bull**** to find them
Technology has taken the passion and dedication out of music, allowing every hack and his mama to record music. I mean, guitar players like us on UG spend countless hours playing music, learning theory, and developing skills. These factors, whether by design or accident allow people who invest time in learning music to be able to craft nice songs, with others reaching Gilmour, Blackmore, Page levels of writing brilliant stuuff.All this is pushed aside by technology that allows for samples of other peoples songs, elaborate mixing, and doctored vocals to make useless Ashlee Simpson types stars. Its a shame. You have to work and pay you dues if you expect to be talented or good at something. That is why songwriting is gone to spit lately.
what the F/U/C/K do you have against trance and electronic?

Quote by GLP_Arclite
I disagree, whilst there is a lot of **** music being made, there are still just as many fantastic artists about, you just have to sift through all the bull**** to find them

i agree 100%
sitting through bull/s/h/i/t music makes finding music that is really good even better to listen to. there are some bands and artists out there that are on par with the biggest names in music such as zepplin you just have to find them. just because a band is popular that doesn't mean they sucked. if that logic was correct then a band that wasnt very widely known would suck and that is not the case. hopefully someday a really great band/artist will shine and music can get back on track. and most rap still sucks.
A BEER STEIN FULL OF GUMMY BEARS
Last edited by tkajr7 at Feb 17, 2008,
That's my opinion. And if you don't like it you can suck my ass.
**** computers, a Tube amp is all i need to make music
I think mostly everyone around here agrees with you. I know I do. Whatever happened to people not listening to music that makes you want to kill someone (or yourself)? Since when did degrading women become popular? Sadly, society hates pretty much all intelligence. That is probably because intelligent people can see what's wrong and they point it out. Society hates being told it's wrong. Thus, society hates intelligence (unless the intelligence stays quiet and makes the iPhone).
Quote by mrwaffles
I think mostly everyone around here agrees with you. I know I do. Whatever happened to people not listening to music that makes you want to kill someone (or yourself)? Since when did degrading women become popular? Sadly, society hates pretty much all intelligence. That is probably because intelligent people can see what's wrong and they point it out. Society hates being told it's wrong. Thus, society hates intelligence (unless the intelligence stays quiet and makes the iPhone).

im not sure why that made me lol, but it did.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

im not sure why that made me lol, but it did.

*sigh* Nobody takes me seriously anymore.... /wrist
Quote by mrwaffles

speaking of intelligence: if you want to look into the future of the world watch the movie IDIOCRACY.
A BEER STEIN FULL OF GUMMY BEARS
I agree with everything you said.

But you do have to consider the fact that there were people in the 70's and 80's who thought exactly the same thing about society in their time. It's only natural.

It's a shame that it's getting so hard to find new music. Even with the interwebz and stuff, I just don't know where to look. I've browsed myspace, purevolume and last.fm for hours, and found nothing I could enjoy.
Nice rant. I don't agree with most of it but nice rant anyways.
Hate to break it to ya but the 60s/70s/80s had some pretty fucked up shit floating around as well. I could fill up two pages of pop claptrap from then that I thought was pure unadulterated garbage but hey that's just my opinion. Viet Nam for all you citing Iraq. The Cold War and wondering if today was going to be the day we decided to blow ourselve to hell. How many of you practiced "Drop and Cover" in grade school? How many of you remember "Civil Defense" drills?
OPEC oil embargo in the '70s that caused gas rationing in the US and Europe.
I'm sure most of you don't remember that and it's not taught in schools that I'm aware of. So how do you prevent another "oil embargo" you own the oil. Not condoning it just putting it into perspective.
Whatever happened to the world? Nothing. Same shit different day.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I download music because I can't afford the cd's.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I'll be putting out a CD with my band this/next summer (next more likely)...and we're pricing that at 7usd per copy...
Oh...and you probably could afford CDs if you really wanted to...you just spend more money on worthless stuff that you don't notice going by like pop and food (i probably spend hundreds of dolalrs a month on that, and its compltetely unnecessary) :S
Quote by zwound

And **** everyone who thinks trance is more advanced than rock n roll. Yeah...more fkin advanced in electronics, but lacks soul. How can you possibly say that *insert any zeppelin song here* is less soulful, or has a lesser message than a fkin electronic drum beat with really cheesy lyrics and really primitive melodies? DrumnbBass soulful - Fk you!

Zeppelin stole alot from other artists, sorry to break it to you.

And alot of music these days is WAY over produced, I love the grittyness of some older recordings.
Quote by tkajr7
speaking of intelligence: if you want to look into the future of the world watch the movie IDIOCRACY.

I have seen that movie...*shudder* I hope we don't go down that road.
Quote by Kemp
Zeppelin stole alot from other artists, sorry to break it to you.

And alot of music these days is WAY over produced, I love the grittyness of some older recordings.

The point isnt about zeppelin...insert any good band back then....

cmon people, stop taking everything literally and go deeper into the meaning.

Oh, and i reread what i wrote, and it's kinda really badly structured, but alas, it came directly from the heart and emotion.
Quote by zwound
I'll be putting out a CD with my band this/next summer (next more likely)...and we're pricing that at 7usd per copy...
Oh...and you probably could afford CDs if you really wanted to...you just spend more money on worthless stuff that you don't notice going by like pop and food (i probably spend hundreds of dolalrs a month on that, and its compltetely unnecessary) :S

Yep food is pretty much a luxury. We could probably do away with clothing and shelter as well. Man my CD collection would really grow if I didn't eat.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Yep food is pretty much a luxury. We could probably do away with clothing and shelter as well. Man my CD collection would really grow if I didn't eat.

Yeah, but i still live with my parents...if i drank less coke, i could prbably afford 2 albums per month...If i'd eat less mcdonalds...that would be 2 more albums

I should start eating rice...
What ever happened to predictability? The Milkman? The paperboy? Evening T.V.?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
You realise you have that view that all good music was old because you hear the stuff that lasted. You don't think they had their share of one hit wonder pop artists jumping on the latest craze.

As said before, there is plenty of good music nowerdays. You simply have to search to find it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^ Opinionated threads are quite funny at times. Especially when "opinion" is presented as fact.
Was not directed at you T/S. You have yet to claim your opinion is truth. HOwever you are comming close and I am looking forward to it.

Quote by gm jack
You realise you have that view that all good music was old because you hear the stuff that lasted. You don't think they had their share of one hit wonder pop artists jumping on the latest craze.

As said before, there is plenty of good music nowerdays. You simply have to search to find it.

Thank you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
The world sucks. Grow a pair. For every good band there has been 20 crappy bands who get more coverage. It's the way the world works.
Quote by zwound
As a really passionate musician, i keep on thinking, that the world is ruined beyond repair...
Whatever happened to producing good stuff? How come all this vintage music grea is always better? How come brands like Gibson and Marshall no longer make anything that was nearly as good as stuff they made 40 years ago?
How come they harldy make any good music nowadays? How come there are so many idiots out there today? How come the world has become so perverse that at least i think that i was born into a really wrong era of time?
Even modern music recording stuff sucks....whoever doesn't agree that music recorded on large tapes in the 60s/70s/80s sounds better than modern digital recording can suck my ass.

I agree with you. Bar the last line. I like the era of digital recording, and Im not gonna suck your ass because I do. If you dont like it get a four track tape recorder and eat your heart out.

Quote by zwound

Oh, and why the hell do we download music? We should BUY music. That's the difference between the modern day music scene and the past...people in the past would either buy the CDs/tapes or go to small clubs to listen to a band (thus supporting it financially and morally). Plus you could spread the word and thus giving it a larger fanbase . i remember, when i was smaller i used to record tapes off the radio, and damn did that kick ass. It was bad quality, but damn was it pleasing.

Once again I agree with you there. Bands will struggle to make it if they go by old standards (Well not old exactly, but you know)
You just have to move on to the more modern way. The internet is your best friend now. You have to use it to your advantage.

Quote by zwound
Now we're in a situation, where only mainstream bands (chosen by really retarded money-crazed people in the record companies) that reign, no matter how bad they are, and there are no more bands (very little that is) that have actually gotten successful thanks to 'the people's choice'. 90% of the society will just eat whatever you feed to them.

Wrong. Alot of bands were never mainstream until they were signed. The label has MASSIVE influence on what goes out. You have to realise in the bands postion and labels position, money is the influence these days. SUcks but its true.

Quote by zwound

I dont think anyone says it has more soul. Its all subjective. You dont like that music so you think its crap and has no soul but to someone who doesnt like rock its the same in their eyes. Its all opinion so you shouldnt take any notice of it.

Quote by zwound
And why do i hate this ****? It's cause trance (and mainstream rap to some extent) have made the world into a hellhole. Damnit, I cant even go to the city alone anymore cause all these fags go into 'Gangsta mode' thanks to something they've seen in a 50 cent movie or something, and start running after me and showing me knives, just cause i look like i rock, and just cause i have long hair...Damn, all i did was just mind my own business, listen to music and keep a low profile. I dont need to say anything, and those fags just come and start their psychological warfare.

I agree with you there. But if it wasnt rap etc. it would be some other influence. Their always has been a clash of genres, look at it today, basicly in the same ball park, emo kids and metal heads. They hate eachother for no reason. Metal heads are as bad as rappers. Locally emo kids stay quiet and you get faggot metal heads going at them for what? So that way its getting hypocritical.

Theirs been a huge change in some parts (The first 2 maybe 3 paragraphs) but in other parts nothing has changed. (Aimed at the last 2 paragraps)
^ Self, I'm sorry if i offended you. It wasn't really directed towards just techno, but mainstream techno like tiesto and **** like that. The people who weorship useless people like him...echhhhh.
EDIT: im actually on your purevolume...That stuff isnt bad!
There was ****ty music in the 60's.
The Beegees, The carpenters, Record companies tried to pass something they did off as a TUBA ROCK SUPERGROUP...

And Gibson and marshall stuff now, is no worse than what it was then, its just different. For gods sake, A good new guitar, will be better intonated, hold tune far longer, have more level frets, a stronger neck, and a lighter body. Technology allows all sorts of things to improve, that includes guitars.

Have you ever played a guitar from the fifties/sixties TS? I played a 69 strat, I despised it, it wouldnt hold a tune for more then a half hour, the pickups were fuzzy, the neck felt uneven, the frets were worn to god knows where, and it rattled.

I hate vintage gear.

Tape recordings are complicated to do, more expensive, and less clean for the money.
I absolutely support analog gear, I play a tube amp and use as much tube and tape FX as I can afford to, but I wouldn't ever consider using tape recording software.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by zwound
^ Self, I'm sorry if i offended you. It wasn't really directed towards just techno, but mainstream techno like tiesto and **** like that. The people who weorship useless people like him...echhhhh.
EDIT: im actually on your purevolume...That stuff isnt bad!

I wasn't really offended, I was just trying to get people to go to my PureVolume. Mission accomplished!
Quote by self-made_page
I wasn't really offended, I was just trying to get people to go to my PureVolume. Mission accomplished!

no damage done then
I'm sorry but what you say about modern music having no soul is just ludicrous. As far as I'm conserned if the musician (and don't say they arent musicians if they make music then they are musicians) enjoy making it, and people enjoy listening to it I don't see how you can argue it has a lack of soul.

This of course depends of your definition of 'soul'.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
You spend too much time thinking about the past. And each generation has its flaws, you honestly don't think that there were lots of ****ty music circulating when Zeppelin was active?

And electronic music CAN be really good, some of it even better than most rock music that we find today. The first that springs to mind would be Infected Mushroom, they even have a live guitarist so you should feel at home anyway
Quote by leeb rocks
I'm sorry but what you say about modern music having no soul is just ludicrous. As far as I'm conserned if the musician (and don't say they arent musicians if they make music then they are musicians) enjoy making it, and people enjoy listening to it I don't see how you can argue it has a lack of soul.

This of course depends of your definition of 'soul'.

As soul, i mean when you're feeling down, and writing a song beacuse you feel really strong about something...a releationship...family...you know. It should come naturally, raw and powerful. No point writing about something you don't feel about.

I fail to see soul in most 50 cent songs which are like 'you im gangsta, i has moneyz, and...i'm just gangsta, yo.'' Not all songs....but most. People dig this crap. I found Eminem really soulful though...that guy REALLY talked about his personal feelings and it was something most people could spiritually relate to in a moment or another. This dude has my respect...

I also jsut thought that, maybe, jsut MAYBE, music isn't the same for everybody...for me, it's my life....for other's it might be something much less significant.
Last edited by zwound at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by self-made_page

This is acctually really good, got any albums out? (sorry to derail the topic)

EDIT: Oh my god this Canon in D(ance) rocks!
Last edited by 20cdndollars at Feb 17, 2008,
Page 1 of 2