I'm pretty new to tube/valve amps.

I was just wondering how you know if a tube has blown or if it is a crap one, like what are you listening for or does it still make a sound? etc

cheers
Dancing In Your Dust
Your sound will become pretty crap, and it will probably have a black spot on it and it may not be glowing orange as usual (although I hear blue is okay too).
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i'm wondering if my second preamp tube is dodgy coz when i turn the gain up half way it gets very fuzzy
Dancing In Your Dust
I have been wondering the same with the tubes in my amp. I have a 6505+ so I know that generally it is pretty noisey, but I can hear kind of a high pitched hiss now, is this normal?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by cbehrendt
I have been wondering the same with the tubes in my amp. I have a 6505+ so I know that generally it is pretty noisey, but I can hear kind of a high pitched hiss now, is this normal?

I think that might mean that the vacuum has been broken in which case you'd need a new tube.
See how the tubes are glowing. If one looks different from all the others, its clearly not functioning properly.
WTLTL 2011
just replace all of them if its been a long time (over 2 years) since you bought the amp, or if you bought it used then definitely replace all of them.
Well Enough Alone