I've seen this red Marshall stack in various video performances of Nirvana playing live. Apparently Kurt never had it plugged in or used it, but it looks cool and I'm looking for a stack one day, and this looks the right size.

Does anyone have info on it? What model is it, or what should I search for? How much can I expect it to cost? Any other useful info, and answers would be much appreciated. Thanks.
X360 Gamertag - ColonelKentucky
kurtsequpiment.com says:

8). Small, red vinyl Marshall "ministack/microstack" head and cabinets (seen 7). This was just for fun, it was never used or plugged in. Supposedly at the fall 1993 show in Chicago, Kurt asked the crowd if they wanted him to break anything; he picked up the MiniStack and threw it across the stage (10).

That's about as much info that you're going to get.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I know they bought out a limited edition red MG...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yeah, the only red Marshall stack at the moment is an MG100 which isn't exactly great. Stay away from it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I got one Sound good to be a solid state, one of the better solid states I've ever played.
It's the old Marshall Lead 12 amplifier. The Lead 12s are quite good, they're MOSFET powered I believe. You could get an MG like that but the MG is piss poor though, I'd stay away from them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 17, 2008,
if its an MG,which it looks like it in that picture.
Its crap.Guess even kurt knew **** amps when he hears one

This is an MG-100 according to Google Images. It's probably me, and I don't know much about these things, but it looks bigger in height and width, and also would you need to buy another amp to make the stack like pictured originally?

Also, what makes it crap? Does it not sound very good?
X360 Gamertag - ColonelKentucky
I've seen those before at a local shop, it's solid state but pre-MG, back when they were made in England. Still a crappy amp, you don't really want a stack.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
He never used it, it was for show. Once, he asked the crowd if they wanted him to break something, and he threw it across the stage.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
He never used it, it was for show. Once, he asked the crowd if they wanted him to break something, and he threw it across the stage.

That makes Kurt's death even more poignant...imagine how many MG's he'd have done away with by now if he was still alive
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dsubstanceuk
If it's a Micro-Stack then it has to be an MG.

No it doesn't. Back in the eighties, Marshall made the first generation of micro stacks. It was solid state and used a MOSFET power stage. They called it the Lead 12 and it could replicate those early Marshall tones quite well compared to the newer MG ones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by steven seagull
That makes Kurt's death even more poignant...imagine how many MG's he'd have done away with by now if he was still alive

The good ones go first.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Gabel
Kurt Cobain, the first man to destroy an MG!

We need to follow him!

We must!

*Orders 500, and burns them all*

'Twas worth the monies.

We should get people on UG to post videos of MG slaying, that'd be nice. Then we can send the videos to Marshall, and maybe get them to stop making them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Will It Blend - Marshall MG

Pure genius.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Honestly, those Lead series sucked imo. Tried out a Lead 100 once... good god, I would take an MG over that anyday. Looks cool though.
Quote by CJRocker
Honestly, those Lead series sucked imo. Tried out a Lead 100 once... good god, I would take an MG over that anyday. Looks cool though.

I tried the Lead 12 and I liked it. I assume that they share relatively the same components.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Will It Blend - Marshall MG

Man I'd love to have one fo those blenders.. I wouldn't really use it for food.. I'd just basically do what he does in the videos and blend random ****.

Friend: "you seen my iPhone?"
Me: "Urrrr... No?"
*reported*

and for the record, it's not an MG :P:
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's the old Marshall Lead 12 amplifier. The Lead 12s are quite good, they're MOSFET powered I believe. You could get an MG like that but the MG is piss poor though, I'd stay away from them.

this, they sound a hell of alot better then the MG's
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
yeah like said before, he broke it for kicks. Kurt actually hated marshall so much that he taped over (or tore off i cant remember) the marshall logo on his cabinet he actaully used. He said he hated marshall because they sound generic or commercial (or something like that).

Soooo if you are a DIE-HARD nirvana fan dont buy a marshall, unless you only plan on keeping on stage as a joke and then break it.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
It's a mini stack, not micro.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Everyone knows if it's red tolex, it will sound better...
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by Chuckleberry
Kurt actually hated marshall so much that he taped over (or tore off i cant remember) the marshall logo on his cabinet he actaully used. He said he hated marshall because they sound generic or commercial (or something like that).

So he used the cab of the company he thought was too big and popular and commercialized, but he removed the logo on it to maintain the non-conformist image... Something about that combined with the fact that Nirvana has become the definition of commercialization makes me scratch my head. I know the guy's dead, but c'mon. Something wasn't right there.
are you trying to figure out what stack that is, or are you trying to find a red 1x12 full stack that is usable?

chances are good it was a marshall ss, doesn't really matter which one(lead series or mg series), both are not overly desirable for complex/versatile tone.

if you want a good micro stack, then buy 2 avatars 1x12's and a small head, there is plenty of them out there. chances are you could even get all/most of it in read.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Seref
So he used the cab of the company he thought was too big and popular and commercialized, but he removed the logo on it to maintain the non-conformist image... Something about that combined with the fact that Nirvana has become the definition of commercialization makes me scratch my head. I know the guy's dead, but c'mon. Something wasn't right there.

He used them because there was a hundred billion of them so he could have them replaced easily. He didn't actually use Marshall heads, because he didn't like the sound and because of the whole commercial thing. Tons of people use Marshall cabs with other heads, and they definitely still sound like whatever head they are using. I'm sure he would have rather used something else, but the convenience of using Marshall cabs was pretty great.

Plus, he liked to tape over the logos instead of take them off in order to make more of a statement that he didn't like Marshall.
Quote by barden1069
It's pedal gnome semen.

Quote by DavidRayT
"She's my priiideee and *sweep pick*.

Nope, can't really imagine it.
necrobump.

its a lead 12 as said.

reported.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb