I made an earlier thread but it was just wrong i talked to a guy at guitar center and told me what i needed to start but i need some help on what to choose.
So i want to use my electric guitar and acoustic guitar also adding autotune and electronic beats into it.

So i need an audio interface, he recommended Lexicon Lambda USB Audio Interface and i looked into it and seems perfect. Then he told me i need a condenser mic im not to sure what the difference is between a condenser mic and just a plain old mic are so that's where i need help. I have a $250 spending limit, my dad said he would take me to guitar center to get what i need.

I think i found a good condenser mic to record my vocals and acoustic guitar.
MXL 990 Condenser Microphone Is this a good mic Then i guess i have to get a stand too, and while im there i should just get a pop filter? Is there anything im missing?

Ok
Last edited by Rokkstar64 at Feb 17, 2008,
You certainly don't need a condenser, at least not necessarily. It will most likely give a better result with acoustic, though, and I have heard good things about the MXL one you mentioned. Never, tried it myself though.

You should only get a pop filter if you plan to record vocals.

What do you mean by autotune ?
There is poetry in despair.
if you plan on recording mostly acoustic guitar, go with the condenser. If you plan on recording mostly heavily distorted electric guitar, go with a shure sm58. and you don't need a pop filter. on a budget that limited, I wouldn't even bother. spend the money on cables and stuff.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
A Shure sm57 can record all you need w/o a pop filter.
You don't need a condenser for acoustic but the MXL 990/991 used at the same time does sound good on acoustics...

I suggest the 990/991 set which is only a little more than the 990 alone and comes with a nice preamp you can use if you don't really like the ones in the interface you have there.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-MXL-990-991-Recording-Mic-Duo-and-M-Audio-AudioBuddy-Package-703626-i1173655.gc

The interface you are looking at is good but you will only be able to record two mics at one time using Reaper as its a USB interface.
The 990 alone is fair but the 990/991 would work better on acoustic guitar, the 990 is good for vocals, and the 991 is good for amp cabs.

The SM57 is $100, same as the MXL set so I would say just go with the MXL...

Pop filters are nice to have and I would say its best to use one with the 990 mic.
I use this metal Nady product which works well but most pop filters will do the trick so if GC has one for a lower price, go for that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-Metal-Pop-Filter?sku=426600

See if they can toss in a mic stand for free for you as well, GC is known for working out deals if you talk to them long enough.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 17, 2008,
I made my own pop filter with a pair of pantyhose and a crochet hoop. Works a treat. Total cost = about $6.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.