Hi, I'm planning to teach myself.

I started about 2 months ago, and it really feels like I have learned nothing. I already know the chords E, A, D, G, B, C, Em, Am, Dm, D7... but I'm not very fast in switching between them, I know a very short song and a chord progression, and that's about it. I really do not know where to head next. I see my friend, who just started about 3 months ago( he's also self-taught), learning a new song almost every 3 days or so. And he knows lots of chords and knows how to switch easily between them, it really frustrates me.

My problem here, is that I really don't know what to start learning now, is it new chords, scales, songs. I'm really confused!

I want some of you guys to give me what to learn for the next month, or maybe two months, I'll be very thankful. I've been messing around for almost 2 weeks now, not knowing what to do.

Thanks a lot in advance.
just keep practicing and learning songs.so you have something to relate to
mate dont be sad. my first months were like ****.its normal u have a time when u mess thing up and u feel bed. just keep on playing.

try to learn the spider, on every string:

1-2-3-4---1-2-3-4---1-2-3-4-
use all of your four fingers

it will be hard but try it
hey, I'm also self-taught, and beter than most players that have been playing for like 3or4 years, I tried to teach myself how to play on the basis of inventing a new style, and many people have kind of notice that I don't play like anyone else. So I guess that to play good, just play, start playng notes together, and if the sond "right" than stick with it, and just try to play alot, practice makes perfect ya know.
You see guys, practicing is no problem, It's what to practice that's the problem. I don't know what to start practicing next.
There are some extremely good books on that subject, I suggest going to your local music store and asking about it. I find it really helpful to use a practice log, too. It lets you chart your progress and it keeps you on track because you'll know if you miss a goal. This is about what mine looks like:

Chops:
Minor Pentatonic Scale, 10 minutes: achieved bpm, goal bpm
Blues Scale, 10 minutes: ach. bpm, goal bpm
Speed exercise, 5 minutes bpm, bpm
1-string tapping, 5 minutes bpm, bpm

Theory:
Transfer G major scale to other key, 5 minutes
Work with inverted chords, 10 minutes

Chords:
Study all M7 chords. 10 minutes

Repetoire:
She's Only 18, 15 minutes
Killing in the name of, 15 minutes

Work on one technique until you've acheived your overall goal, then cycle it out with something else you need work on. It lets you pick what you want to do, and if you stick with it, you'll progress quickly.
hi,everone is the same at first unfotunately there is no quick way to learn other than by practicing and more importantly setting some time aside to practice properly.playing guitar is not a competition about who can be the best!it's about music plain and simple.take 3 of the chords you know and find a song that you enjoy with those chords in it and get those changes up to speed.I'm sure you will be able to find some scales on line such as major and minor get the patterns down and practice running up and down scales saying every note into your head,do it slowly as to be precise and over time your speed will gradually increase(scales exercise your fingers well).be patient and have fun learning
dude... you should learn some technique first. Buy a book or something. There is a thing called muscle memory you should know. But Im not gonna tell you what it is.. unless you ask me XD.
find songs you like that have those chords you know in it... so you can relate to it...
theres bound to be at least a million songs that use those chords.

try practicing transitioning from one chord to the next.. youll get it, if you practice
I've only been playing for a month, so maybe my advice won't be the best, but I'll say it anyway.

Try learning chords, etc. like you have, but learn simple songs as a side project.

For example, I've been using these lessons online http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm whilst learning californication by Chili peppers (A very simple song).

If you don't make learning interesting, you won't enjoy it, and won't continue... that's my take on it anyway.
I'm kind of in the same boat with the whole what to play next deal. What I've found is to hop from style to style and see what you like. You know, learn some scales, learn how to fingerpick, ect. Just try to learn new techniques, and then you'll be able to learn to play more songs.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
i have only been playing for a little wile longer than you and something that hleped me over the hump of just playing cords slowly was just finding a song that I liked, learning it, then practicing that one song until I got it down. Then i would move on to another song that was a little harder and involved more. I started with Bob Dylan songs because they are usually just 3-4 cords and not to hard to change over, then i moved on to some rock tunes like tuesday's gone by lynyrd skynyrd each time getting a little harder. But another thing I do is I always practice scales. It helps with your muscle memory and will carry over when you try to learn a new song. The best thing I did was stick to songs that i like and want to play. it gets easier because you stay more motivated when you are learning a song you like insead of some boaring scale.
The biggest thing to understand, and this is kinda unfair, but some people pickup the guitar faster than others. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it just means that you'll need to work harder and more efficiently/methodically.

For the most part, you'll need to set specific goals for yourself. After two months of playing the guitar, I wouldn't expect many people to be able to switch between the aforementioned chords quickly, it's almost unreasonable. When you practice switching through chords, just be sure that you're using the proper fingers, and (of course) using common sense!

For example, if you switching from a D major to a G major, there's really not much movement happening. You're keeping your ring finger stationary on the b string holding down the third fret, dropping your pinky down to the third fret of the high e string, moving your middle finger from the G string to the E and moving your first finger slightly to the A string. Sounds like a lot, but you can do all this without lifting up your hand at all. Knowing tricks to make things like that easier are incredibly important to learning how to play.

As to what you should be doing now, there really is no WRONG thing to practice, as long as you're practicing it properly (Right technique, rhythm). What you'll want to do for yourself however, is try to tackle new songs, songs that you didn't think you could actually do. You may go a couple songs before finding something that clicks, but once it does, you'll go back to the other songs and learn them just as easily. It's really about getting down to business and practicing and focusing. Learn songs, scales, chords, anything and everything you can.

I learned bits and peaces of songs when I was at your level, and leap-frogged from song to song until i eventually found something I could play the entire thing of. You may want to try that, key is: DONT GET DISCOURAGED! Everybody has a hard time picking up the guitar at first. Keep working on it!
Last edited by Triklino at Feb 18, 2008,