I have searched for a similiar thread on here but couldn't find any,so here it goes.I have started listening to neoclassical fairly recently,and so far have Speed Metal Symphony and Go Off! by Cacophony,Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker,Dragon's Kiss by Marty Friedman and Rising Force by Yngwie Malmsteen.Probably will get Malmsteen's Trilogy album soon.If you have any advices or anything to talk about connected to neoclassical metal,feel free to do it here.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
anyone know what scale neoclassical is usually played in? or any of the scales?
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Thanks
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Most of minor scales I think.
Current situation:
Also try the Diminished Scales

The Steps are

T-S-T-S-T-S

Use any runs or arppegio's from that and you will have a very neoclassical sounding piece of music
So basically, neoclassical metal = win, one of my favorite metal genres, and definitely one of the most fun to play.
Symphony X is probably my favorite band with neoclassical influences.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Only neoclassical piece that I can (partially) play is Malmsteen's Blitzkrieg,till the first major sweeping arpegio.

BTW,which neoclassical metal guitarists you find the most unique?
I would go with Marty (although I am biased).
Yngwie was also unique for his time,too bad many neoclassical players after him copied him shamesly.
Current situation:
Quote by Dvnc
shouldn't this go in the shred forum?

Well,this is a metal genre,isn't it?
Current situation:
Quote by Megallica Dude
Well,this is a metal genre,isn't it?

IZ N0T TRVE METALLZZ!!!
TRVE METALZ IZ TEH BR00TALZ!!!!!

hahahahahahha but seriously, i'd say my favorites would be Rhoads, yngwie, friedman, and becker... oh and yes symphony x has some great neoclassical elements. i think neoclassical metal has somewhat died though due mostly to people like yngwie and michael angelo batio who although are great guitarists are also A-holes. other than that its a great genre that needs to be further exploited.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

I guess guitar virtuosos are not so popular today as they were in 80s.I mean,you have all that new technology with which you can make some crazy sounds and effects,so skill is not something as praised and sought as it was.
Current situation:
becker.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
No one mentioned Savatage yet, or TSO!

Yeah, I like neoclassical, but I don't know a huge amount of it, and most of that is power/prog with neoclassical influences.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Jason Becker does it for me. Can't get bored of Perpetual Burn and Perspective. His Raspberry/Blackberry jams are also awesome - there is some amazing and interesting guitarwork there... also cool to hear some of the songs being played by him before they were recorded all nicely and stuff
isn't neoclassical basically very similar to power metal though? if thats the case, i could recommend loads of bands for that :P
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
old children of bodom. oyu have to admit, alexi is a good lead guitarist. yngwie is good too, but i like to listen to heavier things.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Raizer Sabre
isn't neoclassical basically very similar to power metal though? if thats the case, i could recommend loads of bands for that :P

Only when the power metal band sounds neoclassical....

Like Symphony X, Adagio, Savatage etc.

There's big differences between symphonic and neoclassical even if you know what you're talking about.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I absolutely love Neo-Classical metal. Trilogy Suite Opus 5 is a Neo-Classical masterpeice.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
I like some neoclassical stuff.

Rhapsody and Stratovarius have SOME neoclassical influences.
Quote by Mental-lica
I absolutely love Neo-Classical metal. Trilogy Suite Opus 5 is a Neo-Classical masterpeice.

That's the next album I am getting.So far I have only Rising Force by Yngwie.Would you reccomend me some other Malmsteen album beside those?
Current situation:
I've just listened to Malmsteen's Trilogy,and I must say that I am not really impressed.While his skill remains unquestionable,the songs are not so diverse,and it sounds like some glam metal album with crazy soloing.It definately doesn't stand next to Rising Force.
Current situation: