hi folks, im torn apart at buying a new amp between these two models:

1. Line 6 Spider 3 , 30 Watt

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_spider_iii_30.htm

Line6 Spider III 30 Electric Guitar Combo - 30 Watt, 1x 12" speaker, 4x amp models, 36 programmable presets (with FBV Shortboard), FX processor (6 different effects - 3 simultaneously), built-in tuner, headphone out with speaker simulation (can also be used as a DI out), CD/mp3 input (3.5mm jack).

199 euro

2. Randall RX-30D Electric Guitar Combo

http://www.musik-produktiv.de/(s(e4tn06636elsk1fdtl67c1yo))/shop/Artikeldetail.aspx?artikel_id=86269

Construction type: Solid state
Power: 30 watts
Channals: 2
Gain range: 2
Loudspeaker chassis: 1 x 12"
Loudspeaker type: Celestion
Tone control: Bass / mids / highs
Effects: DSP section

209 euro

i need a great sound for heavy metal and know randall is famous for metal sound but i also appreciate the line 6 model with its many functions etc.....
any help? maybe someone of you got these amps and is able to tell me about his / her experiences with it........
Quote by Blackening
why? metal sound? i wasnt a fan of roland amps so far....

the cube is going to do metal better than any other amp at that price, and it will sound better at everything else too, all around a better purchase, even the effects are better.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
NO LINE 6 Get a Vox Hybrid 10 watt
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
thank you very much so far you made my way to my decision much harder any other opinions in here?

btw what is a "power squeezer" and what effects does the roland has?
The Spider is crap.

The Randall is probably crap.

get the Cube 30x, much better amp for metal.

The Voxes are nice but they don't do metal very well.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Don't Get A Line 6
They Suck!!!!!!!
And Also Don't Even Think About Getting A
Marshall Mg!!!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Stay away from the two you asked about.
They're truly junk.
Go for a roland cube 30x. This particular roland is the best for metal in it's price range.
It's really not that hard of a decision.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
maybe important or not to mention, i play the kirk hammet kh203 ltd with emg hzs (planning to put in emg 81 and emg 85 in there), does this work good with the roland?
Quote by B. Heath
Don't Get A Line 6
They Suck!!!!!!!
And Also Don't Even Think About Getting A
Marshall Mg!!!

hehe played the marshall mg before and dont like it
definitely the cube 30... soooo good for the price, and versatile. it's heavy as ****, it can do distortion models from the 50's thru the 90's, but also has very commendable cleans, and very nice onboard effects
uh i just noticed the roland got a 10inch speaker instead of a 12 inch speaker like the others. but i suppose i will get loud enough with it?
Quote by Blackening
maybe important or not to mention, i play the kirk hammet kh203 ltd with emg hzs (planning to put in emg 81 and emg 85 in there), does this work good with the roland?

The Roland is by far the best choice for you with your budget. I wouldn't worry about pickups, they're not going to make an awful lot of difference at the moment, wait until you have a really good amp before considering upgrading them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks all i think i will buy the cube great first post on UG and so many fast answers. hell of a website

btw sorry for bad english not from original english speaking countries
Quote by Blackening

EMG's sound like crap unless you have a tube amp. Tube amps are generally 3 times the cost of a solid state amp if you want a nice one.

Also, speaker size has no effect on the volume level, whatso ever
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
EMG's sound like crap unless you have a tube amp. Tube amps are generally 3 times the cost of a solid state amp if you want a nice one.

well im fine with the emg sound its definitly ****ing metal if you know what i mean and i think even without tube amps it sounds better than the most seymour duncan crap :P but this is another topic
Quote by Blackening
well im fine with the emg sound its definitly ****ing metal if you know what i mean and i think even without tube amps it sounds better than the most seymour duncan crap :P but this is another topic

You seem to be mis-informed.

EMG's boost your signal.
That equals more distortion....in tube amps.
Boosting your signals does NOTHING on solid state, it just makes it maybe 1 dB louder, and overloads transistors, making them clip horribly, and in turn making it sound bad.
However on a tube amp, more signal boosts the tubes, which clip delightfully, and in turn gives you awesome tone.

And seymour ducan=crap?
No, Tone is subjective, but they are far from crap. Its all about taste when it comes to passive pickups, but they are definitely not crap. Their quality is equal to dimarzio, and excluding custom made, seymour and dimarzio are definitely the kings of passive pickups.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well, he isn't gonna get a very good metal valve amp in that price range.
The nearest one is maybe one of those those valve randall combos, which cost quite a bit more than the roland cube.
Plus, it has several (good) models for clean and vintage overdriven amps.
The roland 30x (or microcube, but that's too low of wattage) is probably one of the best first amps someone can buy. It has loads of good effects and amp models (not crummy ones like the spider), and I think it's rather cool looking for a practice amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Feb 17, 2008,
I own a spider III 30, and i love it, its not all watterd down sounding like the larger modles from line 6, as for the shortboard ive been thinking on getting one for myself, but my manual says its not compatable with the spider III 30, but wherever i go to buy it it has my amp listed under compatable products. Any one know for sure?
cube 30x is a good choice, and it should have more than enough distortion without switching your pickups just yet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Poolar
I have no clue wut month those numbers stand for.

well then here are a few clues...

There are 12 months in a year so 02-17-2008 = February 17th, 2008.

Spiders are crap as Mr. Carrot had pointed out.

It was bad enough that you bumped this old thread, but it wasn't even a Spider related thread.

Last clue (as it is obvious that you are new) use that Search Bar up in the top right (as you obviously know how to do) but not to jump into 4 month old threads BUT to research.

There are pletty of people on here that like there Spiders that might be able to help you but just make sure you go about it right.

Later
accually the man clearly states hes deciding between a line 6 spider III 30 and the FBV shortboard or a randall. did u read the post or are u just attacking me? And if ur on a tight budget i know from experiance that the spider III 3 is a good buy, dont know about the randall, never played it
Quote by Poolar
accually the man clearly states hes deciding between a line 6 spider III 30 and the FBV shortboard or a randall. did u read the post or are u just attacking me? And if ur on a tight budget i know from experiance that the spider III 3 is a good buy, dont know about the randall, never played it

No he's mainly attacking you because you bumped a thread that was 4 months old, and the threadstarter already made his decision (I hope).
Make a new thread if you want to rant or praise, wouldnt be my first choice though because you'll get flamed.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Blackening
thanks all i think i will buy the cube great first post on UG and so many fast answers. hell of a website

btw sorry for bad english not from original english speaking countries

This is why I considered this Thread to not be about the Spider III. He was pretty much talked out of it. The Spiders have there place for first amp/practice amp (although I still would not recommend personally).

Did YOU read the entire thread? Don't bump a 4 month old thread bro as it comes across as trolling. Some people (not saying you) do this on purpose to get a rise out of people.

There are legitimate Threads on the Spider Line so find one of those that has recent dialog and post there. PS - I wasn't attacking you personally.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 17, 2008,