Hey, I have a question about what pedal I should buy for my JCM900. It's the 2100 MkIII model, so it's one of the earliest models made. I love the tone of it, but It just doesnt have enough distortion. More like just a crunch. I bought it used, and the guy before me put Groove tubes in it, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, my question is, what pedal would you guys reccomend for me? I should prabobly go with an overdrive pedal instead of a distortion pedal, but I've bee thinking about an MXR Distortion+ . I've heard alot of good reveiws about it, and I know Rhoads used it, and that would prabobly be a good thing for me because I really like his tone and I boost my mids alot too. If anyone could give me some feedback on this pedal, or reccomend any other pedals, that be great. Also, if you give me a pedal name, tell me if it's better in the front or the loop.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
You want an OD pedal or boost...
How heavy do you need it? About Rhoad's level?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I would try getting new tubes before I get a pedal. Groove tubes don't really do high-gain well. Maybe some JJs?

If you do want a pedal, though, I use a Bad Monkey to boost my JTM60(JCM600) and they work really great together.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Prabobly an OD, but whatever works best. Yeah, I'm not trying to compare my sound exactly to his and sound like one of the fanboys, but yeah It'd have to at least be heavy and have enough gain for Rhoad's level, even a little more couldnt hurt.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Boss ME-20/30/50 all have multiple distortion types, and they have some really nice hi-gain tones
Right ok erm...
I WOULD suggest a OCD Fulltone, but having never played about with one I'm not so sure it will get you the heaviness you desire.
The Bad Monkey is a pretty decent pedal, but I'm not really sure if it'll get you that heavy. I don't really want to suggest distortion pedals such as the Metal Muff as it sounds like you have a pretty nice amp... Best bet is to take it to a shop and play around with some pedals
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by LastCaress88
Prabobly an OD, but whatever works best. Yeah, I'm not trying to compare my sound exactly to his and sound like one of the fanboys, but yeah It'd have to at least be heavy and have enough gain for Rhoad's level, even a little more couldnt hurt.

If you were one of the fanboys, you'd be GASing for the Randy Rhoads signature head like me!

Check out the Maxon OD9 or the 808, it'd be great for that purpose.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
Boss ME-20/30/50 all have multiple distortion types, and they have some really nice hi-gain tones

Eww multi effects for a JCM, I think not

I would say Ibanez Tubescreamer!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Check out the Maxon OD9 or the 808, it'd be great for that purpose.

Oh man, how did I even forget about the Tubescreamer.
Yeah Maxon Tubescreamer
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by C40.is.hot
I would try getting new tubes before I get a pedal. Groove tubes don't really do high-gain well. Maybe some JJs?

If you do want a pedal, though, I use a Bad Monkey to boost my JTM60(JCM600) and they work really great together.

Really? I was afraid that Groove tubes werent that good for what I wanted. I figured that since that amp was a high-gain model in itself that it wouldnt be a problem, but it just doesnt have that searing distortion sound, its all crunch. I'll start saving for a new set, but in the meantime do you think an OD could do the job? Like I said, I dont need really really heavy and gainy distortion, but maybe that compared to Rhoads, maybe even a little more gain.

I forgot to post this in the first post, at the moment I'm using active EMGs in my main guitar. That should help with gain because they drive the pre-amp harder, but I figured they might make a factor in the pedal decision.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Ok thanks for the recommendations, I think i'm gonna go with a tubescreamer. One question though, the Maxon is basically a copy of the Ibanez right? I've seen some of the Ibanez re-issues for pretty cheap, but I've never played one or played a Maxon, so I dont know which one is better. I know the Ibanez re-issue isnt as good as the original, so that might make the Maxon copy a better choice. Also, if anyone's still got feedback on the MXR Distortion+, i'm still looking forward to hearing that.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
I would suggest a set of selected High-Gain JJ ECC83S for the preamp for maximum gain, and a matched pair of JJ 6L6GC for the poweramp. The preamps will give you extra gain and the 6L6GCs sound more modern, and it's generally agreed that they suit the 900 more than the EL34s that are usually stock on them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by LastCaress88
One question though, the Maxon is basically a copy of the Ibanez right?

Hah, no

Ibanez & Maxon used to be one company- Maxon made the old Tubescreamers for Ibanez- if you look at the old ones they have "Maxon" on the circuit board.
Basically, the compaies split, but Maxon kept the original schematic- so their Tubescreamers are the same as the old Tubescreamers.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

^ How much would the ECC83's and 6L6GC's change the tone? One of the things I really admire about my amp is that its one of the first issues, so It's got that good vintage tone with it. I'm looking to keep that vintage-ness as much as possible. I'm sure that the JJ's wouldnt change the tone that much, but if you could give me some more specifics as to what I posted above I'd really appreciate it.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by Yngwi3
Hah, no

Ibanez & Maxon used to be one company- Maxon made the old Tubescreamers for Ibanez- if you look at the old ones they have "Maxon" on the circuit board.
Basically, the compaies split, but Maxon kept the original schematic- so their Tubescreamers are the same as the old Tubescreamers.

Never knew that, thanks. I always thought that Ibanez were the sole makers of the tubescreamers, and after people started using them that other companies just jumped on the wagon and started making their own.

I'll go to my local shop and see if they have any tubescreamers in stock, and try them out. Hopefully they'll be able to drive the amp to the point i'm hoping for.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Well stock they have ECC83s, it's just the European terminology for 12AX7. They have more gain, basically.... You'll find more warmth, more dirt, probably a richer tone too.

The 6L6GCs are a bit different to EL34s... They have a bit less in the way of mids, more bottom end, and a similar treble that's maybe a bit smoother.

Bob of Eurotubes says of them: "About 90% of the 900’s that I re-tube locally leave with the JJ 6L6GC’s in place of the stock EL34’s. This substitution gives the 900’s some low end punch and smoothes out the mids and highs. Watching the look on the owner’s face when they A/B the 6L6’s to their EL34’s is a lot of fun and well worth the effort. Most of them can’t believe how good the 6L6’s sound. "
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Maybe a Maxon OD-808 or a MXR 10-Band EQ.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.