Hey all, I just scored a killer deal on a brand new mexican "Lonestar" strat. The one that comes with Duncans in a S-S-H set up. Sense I got it so dirt cheap (the truss rod is busted and for some reason the guy decided to just sell the thing instead of deal with it) I've got plenty of room to customize it to my liking. First of all I want to replace the Single Coil in the neck postion with another Pearly Gate Humbucker. It looks like Ill have to chisel out more space in the body for the humbucker, but I was just wondering if anyone here had done this and had any advice for me?

Thanks a bunch,

Justin
This exact question was asked yesterday, use the search bar my friend!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Use a router instead of a chisel if you have one, and make sure there's room for it first. Put some masking tape down and pencil in the lines. The edges don't have to be perfectly smooth, because the mounting ring should cover the rough edges.
Good choice on the pearly Gates as well. In my opinion it's the best pickup in the world.
Thanks, Oz. Ya I have heard good thigns about them. I only chose that pickup though, because that's what came on the guitar in the bridge position. Also wouldn't routing out the spot make the room for the pickup??
Quote by sixstrngsprman
Thanks, Oz. Ya I have heard good thigns about them. I only chose that pickup though, because that's what came on the guitar in the bridge position. Also wouldn't routing out the spot make the room for the pickup??

I meant make sure there's space between the middle pickup and the neck of the guitar. I just realised you're doing this to a strat, so presumably there's a pickguard? If so you'll need to be careful when you're cutting it. Alternatively, you could just buy a pre-made pickguard, but it's not really too difficult to do yourself.
Quote by sixstrngsprman
Hey all, I just scored a killer deal on a brand new mexican "Lonestar" strat. The one that comes with Duncans in a S-S-H set up. Sense I got it so dirt cheap (the truss rod is busted and for some reason the guy decided to just sell the thing instead of deal with it) I've got plenty of room to customize it to my liking. First of all I want to replace the Single Coil in the neck postion with another Pearly Gate Humbucker. It looks like Ill have to chisel out more space in the body for the humbucker, but I was just wondering if anyone here had done this and had any advice for me?

Thanks a bunch,

Justin

I thought the majority of strat bodies were routed H-S-H as standard? There was a big guffaw over them changing from S-S-S routing, IIRC.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
I thought the majority of strat bodies were routed H-S-H as standard? There was a big guffaw over them changing from S-S-S routing, IIRC.

They are HSH from what I know of right now.
Been that way on all Strat style guitars I've seen recently.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Thats what I thought to about the stock HSH routing, but this one isnt. The space for the Neck pick up is a little little bit bigger than the middle space but definitly not big enough for a humbucker.