ive noticed a little rust on my pickups, i just bought the bass yesterday at the pawn shop. It's in pretty good condition with one little nick on it. anyways, will this affect it any? Also, my dad sprayed **** on it because he "wanted it to shine". Anyways, will rust on the pick ups be a problem?
Last edited by smashinpumpkins at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by smashinpumpkins
ive noticed a little rust on my pickups, i just bought the bass yesterday at the pawn shop. It's in pretty good condition with one little nick on it. anyways, will this affect it any? Also, my dork dad sprayed **** on it because he is the holy god and knows everything about anything and he "wanted it to shine". Anyways, will rust on the pick ups be a problem?

If it's just on the pole pieces, it shouldn't affect anything. What did your dad spray on it? I'm hoping it was something without wax.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by smashinpumpkins
^yeah its just the pole peices. No idea what he sprayed on it, it was wood polish i think

Probably won't hurt anything, just DON'T do it again and you should be fine bro. What kind of bass is it, btw? Maybe post some pics if possible.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
It is most probably just a little superficial rust from sweat getting onto the pickups. It should probably be fine.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1

ibanez gsr200 except in blue

edit: I traded in an old guitar plus 45$ for it. It was in excellent condition, just a tiny little dent
gsr200 is a nice bass dude!!
but the one in the pic looks more like a gsr190

the rust should`t affect your sound at all
plus it gives some personality to your bass
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
small amounts of rust won't hurt, but it will only get worse. they have several products available to remove rust, with-out effecting the metal. one i can think of is called "naval jelly" (no pun intended). it's available at most hardware or DIY stores.
(DIY=do it yourself/home improvement stores)
Quote by litus
gsr200 is a nice bass dude!!
but the one in the pic looks more like a gsr190

the rust should`t affect your sound at all
plus it gives some personality to your bass

it says GSR 200 on the back of the headstock but it doesnt look like most gsr200s ive seen on the internet. after playing guitar for a while im lovin bass
Naval Jelly works really well and is easier to use than steel wool. After you finish cleaning the rust off, coat the posts with a clear nail polish to avoid future rust.
I think you could have just gotten a new one, tbh. If you payed 45 bucks, plus a guitar, you probably ended up paying more than half for a really used instrument. Just sayin'... i know sometimes money is short, I'm not really certain of the situation, but i hope it works out for you.

if it was rusty, i wouldn't have even bought it, even though it probably isn't anything that will severely affect the bass. But since it has rust on it, something was either spilled on it, or it was played often enough for sweat to cause rust. I hope everything ends up being fine though.
Quote by Zar938
I think you could have just gotten a new one, tbh. If you payed 45 bucks, plus a guitar, you probably ended up paying more than half for a really used instrument. Just sayin'... i know sometimes money is short, I'm not really certain of the situation, but i hope it works out for you.

if it was rusty, i wouldn't have even bought it, even though it probably isn't anything that will severely affect the bass. But since it has rust on it, something was either spilled on it, or it was played often enough for sweat to cause rust. I hope everything ends up being fine though.

really only payed about 145$. It was a really cheap guitar that i bought used and kinda beat(thanks to me) up for 100$ just to start on, so i thought i had a pretty good deal, and had a great deal of fret buzz. and there is really only rust on 3 pole pieces, and thats the only thing wrong with it besides one little dent. I'll try and get some pics up. Plus i live in a part of Canada where everything is so expensive.

And thanks to those guys for the naval jelly suggestion ill have to pick some up
my gsr200 pups have rust on them. they were nice and shiny when i bought it, it has been well taken care of (nothing spilled on it), and i dont think its been played enough to get sweat on them. I think they just plain oxidized. A tooth brush and rubbing alcohol took it off just fine.