Can anyone give me some pointers on putting chords into syncopated rhythms. Everytime I try to do it, it just sounds bad.
just practice with a metronome playin on the off beats, find a good chord progression aswell so u can build up the speed of ur chord changin on syncopated rhythms
Try not just playing whole chords. Either fingerpick them or play them in that hendrix-y type style where you are only playing fragments of it at a time.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
Try not just playing whole chords. Either fingerpick them or play them in that hendrix-y type style where you are only playing fragments of it at a time.

+1
having played various instruments so long, i've gotten comfortable with syncopated rhythms, but writing them is much harder than playing them. a good "cheat" is to play a pedal tone then complete the chord on the upbeat. so for example if you're playing an e chord pick the low e then strum on the upbeat. you might want to just strum the top four strings in that case, i don't know.
honestly, there's a million different ways to write syncopation. it's not so much where you put the notes as which notes/chords you accent. play a little harder on an upbeat or a normally weak beat. but if you want straight syncopation, a trick i use sometimes is to (4-4 time here) play a dotted quarter on 1, then bounce some eighth notes on the offbeats. for the "and" of four (final upbeat) i'll play two sixteenths and move to a different rhythm for the next measure. i use that to accent changes in the music sometimes. so it's 1(and, 2) and (3 rest) and (4 rest) and-a 1. Hope that makes sense.