I just upgraded to a hot rod deluxe in order to be loud enough in a band. It sounds amazing but I'm finding that it isn't quite loud enough(despite all the raving about how loud this thing gets). I can't afford to step up to a deville 2x12 or 4x10 and don't want to get another amp in this price range. So I was thinking about getting an extension cab for my deluxe. Does anyone have any experience with using an extension cab with this amp? And if so, does it make it significantly louder? Also, what cab do you recommend(for a 40 watt tube amp)?

Thanks.
WHAT ?! are you deaf ?

i think your problem is that you don't EQ it right, try turning your mids up.
40 watts should be plenty.
yea it should be PLENTY loud. make sure the presence is up so it cuts good. maybe tilt the amp against a wall so the speaker projects into the room? an amp will sound really quiet if its on the ground and you're above the speaker projection path.
Well Enough Alone
40W tube is practically overkill (even clean), make sure everything id right inside.
Getting the amp off the ground, and keeping your mids up are two good pieces of advice.

A cab won't help much with volume, especially the one you linked; it's just a big 1x12. If the above doesn't help, maybe you should sell your amp and use those proceeds along with your cab money to get yourself something bigger. Maybe a Twin Reverb or something.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by The red Strat.
i believe a cab would add about 3 dB.

is your speaker cable plugged into the right jack ? cause that can cause a fair bit of volume loss.

Yep. Just checked and the speaker is plugged into the main internal speaker jack.
Quote by BruceBogtrotter
Yep. Just checked and the speaker is plugged into the main internal speaker jack.

then it's highly likely you're simply deaf

seriously though, like slats said, if keeping the mids up and lifting it off the ground doesn't help, then you should look into a bigger amp. (twin reverb maybe, like slats said)
40 tube watts is almost enough to kill people. The problem is probably that the amp is on the ground. Try raising it off the ground so that it's leveled with your ears.
Quote by johlin
40 tube watts is almost enough to kill people. The problem is probably that the amp is on the ground. Try raising it off the ground so that it's leveled with your ears.

almost, but not quite.

let's say it's enough to kill old people
I can't get my 50 watt past 10 o'clock at band practice. You must be deaf.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by The red Strat.
almost, but not quite.

let's say it's enough to kill old people

Well, not even 100 watts of tube power might be enough. You could need a good psycho rig too.
Check your settings!!!! I just purchases a HRD and man this cranks even at 2, when jamming with friends, 2.5 works well, since we are his basement! I'll have enough when ready to jam with full band and area to use to full potential.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Honeyburst
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (Red Wine Version)
Tube Screamer T9
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-2
Metal Muff
Small Clone
Fender G-Dec 15w

It honestly has to be broken if it's not loud enough. I had one of these and it's deafening, even with a drummer and bassist.

EDIT: Jesus christ people. Anyone who's had this amp should realize it's LOUD. The idea that 100W will be "x" amount louder is just dumb: you'll notice it, but only in the "ill go deaf in 5 rather than 10 minutes" sense.

So seriously, if it doesn't seem loud enough (and you're working the master volume and gain controls right) it's probably broken. Go fix it.
Last edited by bullets34 at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by bullets34
It honestly has to be broken if it's not loud enough. I had one of these and it's deafening, even with a drummer and bassist.

EDIT: Jesus christ people. Anyone who's had this amp should realize it's LOUD. The idea that 100W will be "x" amount louder is just dumb: you'll notice it, but only in the "ill go deaf in 5 rather than 10 minutes" sense.

So seriously, if it doesn't seem loud enough (and you're working the master volume and gain controls right) it's probably broken. Go fix it.

As for it being broken, I do get a hissing sound on the clean channel that gets louder as I turn it up(and turn up presence/treble and turn on bright boost). Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it is for at high volumes it is a bit annoying(not noticable while playing) I have the guitar volume all the way down and does it whether something is plugged in or not. When I switch to the drive channel it is completely quite, no hissing. Is this a problem or is it normal?
Point it at your head, and keep the mids above 5. Turn down the bass. If it's still isn't loud enough, I think a hearing aid is a better way to spend your money than on a cab.
Quote by mr_hankey
Point it at your head, and keep the mids above 5. Turn down the bass. If it's still isn't loud enough, I think a hearing aid is a better way to spend your money than on a cab.

Don't get me wrong, the amp is plenty loud when playing solo. But with my band I get drowned out a bit.
Stand in front of your amp. Unless you mistakingly bought a blues junior there is NOTHING stopping you from getting through the mix with that thing.

I used to have one and **** started falling off the walls when I set it past 3. I've seen bands play arena sized gigs with that thing and still managed to get my ears ringing.
Quote by Revhain
Stand in front of your amp. Unless you mistakingly bought a blues junior there is NOTHING stopping you from getting through the mix with that thing.

I used to have one and **** started falling off the walls when I set it past 3. I've seen bands play arena sized gigs with that thing and still managed to get my ears ringing.

Haha. It's definitely not a blues junior. The problem was probably the fact that I had it on the ground and the room my band was playing in dampens the sound significantly.

Next band practice we will be playing in a room that resonates much better and I will have an amp stand. So we'll see. I'm not convinced that this amp isn't loud enough
I have this amp and I've never taken it above 4. Although I've never played live before, it seems that it could definitely provide the punch if needed. Good luck with getting enough volume.
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe