I am getting my first electric soon, and I've been looking at Ibanez and ESP guitars b/c I've heard they make good, inexpensive guitars. I've also been told they're mostly for metal. I'll be playing mainly punk, hard rock, and blues; would I be better off with another brand?
Quote by cgs1994
whats your price range?

+1. I assume you're looking at lower end guitars though. Ibanewz and ESP suck quality wise lower end. I would advise a used Jackson DK2 w/ black hardware and duncans if you're looking at the $300 range.
My Ibanez has two humbuckers with coil split. It's really versatile.

A lot of people say Ibanez guitars aren't versatile because they're used mostly for metal, but they work really well for other genres too.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
well if you have a big price range like 800-2,000 you should purchase an Epiphone or Gibson SG or Les Paul.

The Cheaper one would be epiphone.
If you get a cheap Ibanez, make sure it's a cheap RG series, not the GIO or whatever. My $300 Ibanez RG is just like the more expensive ones without a tremolo.
I'd like to spend around $300 but I'm willing to throw in more for something nice (found a almost-new Ibanez SZ520 for under $400 and I'm considering that).

Quote by CJRocker
+1. I assume you're looking at lower end guitars though. Ibanewz and ESP suck quality wise lower end. I would advise a used Jackson DK2 w/ black hardware and duncans if you're looking at the $300 range.

Why do the lower end Ibanez/ESP suck? I'll take a look at the Jackson you mentioned.
Quote by Definite

Why do the lower end Ibanez/ESP suck? I'll take a look at the Jackson you mentioned.

Build quality and hardware quality isn't too high. I had a horrible experience with a 5EX1, and once had a KH202 that didn't lock correctly.
Look at an epiphone I say, specifically the LP copies. Decent SG's at a low price are hard to come by in my opinion.

Or if you're interested, try some Ibanez Artcore models. You might like the hollowbody sound.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by CJRocker
Build quality and hardware quality isn't too high. I had a horrible experience with a 5EX1, and once had a KH202 that didn't lock correctly.

I'll be sure to avoid those models. I was looking at the RG321, the SZ520, and there's also a guy on craigslist offering a used PRS SE EG S/S/S for $225. Which of these guitars would you guys recommend for blues/punk/hard-rock?