Poll: Is being a gentleman cool?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is being a gentleman cool?
Very much so
334 89%
Gentlemen suck
40 11%
Voters: 374.
Page 1 of 5
Is being a gentleman cool?

Personally, I guess being "gentlemanly" is in my nature. I open doors, am polite, offer my coat to cold people, etc. Most girls seem to like it, but most guys resent it.

Have been conducting an informal survey among classmates and friends, and results are mixed.

I get called a gentleman alot myself... Of course I would say it is a good thing. Whether it is cool or not is for others to judge. Of course I don't do it to be cool. That would be quite sad.

Well, opinionate away

Cheers all,

TLEG
Last edited by Kumanji at Feb 17, 2008,
If you're doing it to be cool, you're doing it wrong.
Being nice and treating people right seems to be frowned upon in society today.

If it's any consolation, though, I think it's cool.
yes. if you're not a gentleman the only girls you'll get are dirty hoes.
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Whilst wearing a bowler hat, yes

Whilst not wearing a bowler hat, no

I want a bowler hat
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Yes, but only if you're genuinely nice.

I know a few guys who are complete assholes who start acting "gentlemanly" to get chicks.
i am. but people still treat me like ****. and i dont do it to be cool. cause im not.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by XcadeyX

there's a certain level of assholishness required to get with some girls. but you gotta be careful not to step over that threshold and become a dick. some girls like assholes, but no one enjoys the company of a dick. you can be a prick and still be a gentleman, of sorts. you just have to know how to milk out that part of your personality.
“You know that I don't fucking care if I live or die.”
It's sad that I'm the only guy in my school that treats women with respect.
"It smells like semen and Vicks in here!"

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Join
Fight Club
"this is bob, bob has bitch tits"
Quote by XcadeyX

Yes, but then you'll have more hoes to superman.

And yes, it is good to be a gentlemen.
girls love gentlemen, so yes. its always good.

except hoes, they only like millionaires.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
What is a gentleman in this day and age? They don't exist.

I open doors for people; please and thank you. etc etc
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Hey, no matter how nice you appear to be in the beginning-- you always have a relapse into 'neanderthal' state.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I have a bowler hat...i win?
Am i on fire? OHHH NOOOO!!! I'M ON FIREEEEEE

Quote by meh!

Indeed. I've never gotten a bad reaction from doing it either!
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by matosh.lee
i am. but people still treat me like ****. and i dont do it to be cool. cause im not.

You poor dude... I've not had as bad experiences... you tend to get respect if you treat people with respect.

Quote by meh!

Perhaps you're right. Well, there's one left in England. And yes I do own a bowler hat.
I open doors for the ladies. Unfortunately, they think I'm coming on to them.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
The other day I was going out of my halls where I live at uni and this girl was about 10 seconds from the door so I waited and held the door open and she didn't even say thank you. Biatch!
If you can be bothered to read through this, and you should be, you shall know that its pointless being a gentleman.

"What Happened to All the Nice Guys?"
Date: 2007-11-19, 3:52AM PST

I see this question posted with some regularity in the personals section, so I thought I'd take a minute to explain things to the ladies out there that haven't figured it out.

What happened to all the nice guys?

The answer is simple: you did.

See, if you think back, really hard, you might vaguely remember a Platonic guy pal who always seemed to want to spend time with you. He'd tag along with you when you went shopping, stop by your place for a movie when you were lonely but didn't feel like going out, or even sit there and hold you while you sobbed and told him about how horribly the (other) guy that you were ****ing treated you.

At the time, you probably joked with your girlfriends about how he was a little puppy dog, always following you around, trying to do things to get you to pay attention to him. They probably teased you because they thought he had a crush on you. Given that his behavior was, admittedly, a little pathetic, you vehemently denied having any romantic feelings for him, and buttressed your position by claiming that you were "just friends." Besides, he totally wasn't your type. I mean, he was a little too short, or too bald, or too fat, or too poor, or didn't know how to dress himself, or basically be or do any of the things that your tall, good-looking, fit, rich, stylish boyfriend at the time pulled off with such ease.

Eventually, your Platonic buddy drifted away, as your relationship with the boyfriend got more serious and spending time with this other guy was, admittedly, a little weird, if you werent dating him. More time passed, and the boyfriend eventually cheated on you, or became boring, or you realized that the things that attracted you to him weren't the kinds of things that make for a good, long-term relationship. So, now, you're single again, and after having tried the bar scene for several months having only encountered players and douche bags, you wonder, "What happened to all the nice guys?"

Well, once again, you did.

You ignored the nice guy. You used him for emotional intimacy without reciprocating, in kind, with physical intimacy. You laughed at his consideration and resented his devotion. You valued the aloof boyfriend more than the attentive "just-a-" friend. Eventually, he took the hint and moved on with his life. He probably came to realize, one day, that women aren't really attracted to guys who hold doors open; or make dinners just because; or buy you a Christmas gift that you mentioned, in passing, that you really wanted five months ago; or listen when you're upset; or hold you when you cry. He came to realize that, if he wanted a woman like you, he'd have to act more like the boyfriend that you had. He probably cleaned up his look, started making some money, and generally acted like more of an asshole than he ever wanted to be.

Fact is, now, he's probably getting laid, and in a way, your ultimate rejection of him is to thank for that. And I'm sorry that it took the complete absence of "nice guys" in your life for you to realize that you missed them and wanted them. Most women will only have a handful of nice guys stumble into their lives, if that.

So, if you're looking for a nice guy, here's what you do:

1.) Build a time machine.
2.) Go back a few years and pull your head out of your ass.
3.) Take a look at what's right in front of you and grab ahold of it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you STILL don't really want a nice guy, but you feel the social pressure to at least appear to have matured beyond your infantile taste in men. In which case, you might be in luck, because the nice guy you claim to want has, in reality, shed his nice guy mantle and is out there looking to unleash his cynicism and resentment onto someone just like you.

If you were five years younger.

So, please: either stop misrepresenting what you want, or own up to the fact that you've ****ed yourself over. You're getting older, after all. It's time to excise the bull**** and deal with reality. You didn't want a nice guy then, and he certainly doesn't ****ing want you, now.

Sincerely,

A Recovering Nice Guy
From Craigslist

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/lax/483318927.html
Quote by dudeman_andy
girls love gentlemen, so yes. its always good.

What?!

This is news to me!

EDIT:
Quote by Satch_Boogie
If you can be bothered to read through this, and you should be, you shall know that its pointless being a gentleman.

From Craigslist

That is genius right there
Last edited by synpet713192 at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by Kartman

that's not a bowler hat. real gentlemen know the difference between bowler hats and top hats.

and i'm rocking a very gentlemanly fedora, these days.
some girls get a kick out of it when i tip my hat to them, but that's about it.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
Quote by wannabe_punk
that's not a bowler hat. real gentlemen know the difference between bowler hats and top hats.

and i'm rocking a very gentlemanly fedora, these days.
some girls get a kick out of it when i tip my hat to them, but that's about it.

That's awesome, I wish fedoras looked good on me.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Satch_Boogie

From Craigslist

umm thats no excuse to turn into a complete asshole (seeing as your saying all guys turned into assholes because of this sort of thing) but nice story. Also just like not all guys are dicks, not all girls ignore the nice guy and go for the asshole. I can say the same thing, guys need to stop going for the dumb bitch that will ignore you and pick the "other guy"
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I'm a gentleman and I think it is indeed cool. I open doors for people, use my please and thank you's, if someone is cold I'll lend them my jacket/sweater and just generally be a nice considerate guy. Unfortunately most women see this as a method of coming on to them and are like "z0mgz!! *taser*" Women are so paranoid of nice guys now-a-days. They've been brainwashed by the media into thinking the nice, shy guys with low self confidence are all serial killers or rapists, thus they revert to the assholes.

Say, maybe if I get one of those snazzy bowler hats I won't always be "just friends" with the girls I like...
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
Quote by ManWithoutAHat
I'm a gentleman and I think it is indeed cool. I open doors for people, use my please and thank you's, if someone is cold I'll lend them my jacket/sweater and just generally be a nice considerate guy. Unfortunately most women see this as a method of coming on to them and are like "z0mgz!! *taser*" Women are so paranoid of nice guys now-a-days. They've been brainwashed by the media into thinking the nice, shy guys with low self confidence are all serial killers or rapists, thus they revert to the assholes.

Say, maybe if I get one of those snazzy bowler hats I won't always be "just friends" with the girls I like...

Here speaketh a wise man.

My hat is off to you, sir.
I just be nice to people even if there dicks. I make a lot of friends that way. Plus girls like it.
forget what the guys thinks. girls will love you for it.
Moments into minutes.
Minutes into hours.
Hours into days.
Days into years.
Years into possibility.

This will linger.
xxx
im a gentlemenn, and romanticly it gets you no where. but im not willing to prostitute myself just to get laid. most people seem to find it hard to believe that nice ppl exist (in truth i do now and then).

the truth: they do. they are uselly alone.join us.join usssssss.join ussssssssssssss.......
Quote by XcadeyX

after reading that i bet everyones just gonna become a gentleman now.
i open doors for people and stuff but i dont really consider myself much of a gentleman
Being respectful and considerate is more important, IMO, than trying to be a "gentleman."

Being a "gentleman" is the excuse of ugly, bitter guys.
My God, it's full of stars!
Page 1 of 5