So after contemplating my future for a while I realized I can't imagine myself doing anything with my life besides medicine. My plan is to get my bachelor of Science or Pre-Med or whatever I need at McGill because a) it's in my hometown which saves living expenses since i'd be living at home and b) tuition is ridiculously cheap for such a reputable school (~3000$ CAD a year I believe) and then go to a graduate medical school in the U.S. So I know I have a good 5 years to get the money (2 years of CEGEP health sciences and 3 years undergrad), I plan to save as much as I can and next year i'm going to get a part-time job as I can't right now because i'm juggling too much in high school and work summers, also I have a few thousand saved already and my father has agreed to match whatever I manage to save by the time I have to pay for grad school (i.e. I save $40,000 he gives me another 40,000 towards tuition and living expenses) so my question UG is how much should I expect to pay for Med school in the states? I'm not aiming for Harvard or anything but a good reputable middle priced school I figured maybe like around 35,000 a year with tuition and boarding expenses but I have a feeling it might be a lot more.
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Private schools cost anywhere between 30k - 40k a year. Public schools are much cheaper and you can get the same education for less than 10k a year.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
private schools are around 30-40 like darkstar2466 said, but i don't think you can get into a state school for less than 15,000 a year if you dont live in the state. I'd expect around 20,000-25,000/ year if you're living at a state school.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
From what I know, a lot of times for grad school here, you can get scholarships and stuff in exchange for being a teacher's aide or something like that.

For example, my friend is going to grad school next year for some field of engineering I believe, and the school is giving him full tuition paid for, health insurance, and a job at the university which pays him like $19,000 a year. That's probably a rather exceptional deal though.
Quote by SoccerRM1
private schools are around 30-40 like darkstar2466 said, but i don't think you can get into a state school for less than 15,000 a year if you dont live in the state. I'd expect around 20,000-25,000/ year if you're living at a state school.

Correct.

I go to a private college and it's $50,000 a year

But I only (By me I mean my parents) pay half that due to scholarships.
Just out of curiosity how good do your marks have to be to qualify for scholarships and does the same apply if you're an applicant from Canada?
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Quote by lemon
Just out of curiosity how good do your marks have to be to qualify for scholarships and does the same apply if you're an applicant from Canada?

Scholarships vary greatly from private to public schools. For instance, I got a $15,500/year scholarship to a private school, but only $1,000 a year to a public school. Just to set some perspective, I had a 3.5 GPA and a 1330 on my SAT (math + reading) .. My GPA isn't really that good, so if you're upwards of 3.7, you can probably expect some money.

Edit: I would assume that they would treat you the same in regards to a scholarship.. being Canadian shouldn't matter.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by SoccerRM1 at Feb 17, 2008,
Private schools generally cost more, thus have richer alumni, thus get more donations, thus have more money, so they usually are able to give more in scholarship money, however, they are also much more expensive than public schools.

It really depends on the school's current situation how much money you will get.
Quote by SoccerRM1
Scholarships vary greatly from private to public schools. For instance, I got a $15,500/year scholarship to a private school, but only $1,000 a year to a public school. Just to set some perspective, I had a 3.5 GPA and a 1330 on my SAT (math + reading) .. My GPA isn't really that good, so if you're upwards of 3.7, you can probably expect some money.

Edit: I would assume that they would treat you the same in regards to a scholarship.. being Canadian shouldn't matter.

How exactly do you calculate a GPA here our marks our just percentages?

edit: I guess you can't really since it's a different marking system but I have an A average (87%) so far this year but I guess it doesn't matter because they probably only look at the marks from CEGEP and Uni
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Last edited by lemon at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by lemon
How exactly do you calculate a GPA here our marks our just percentages?

A= 4.0
B= 3.0
C= 2.0

We also have "weighted" classes which are Honors and AP courses where it gets a little tricky (A's being worth 4.4 and 4.8)

I'm not sure on + and -s grades like A-, B+... they're just kindof in between
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I think the most common measure of GPA is on the 4 point scale.

A (90-100%) is 4
B (80-89%) is 3
C (70-79%) is 2
D (60-69%) is 1
E (0-59%) is 0

Sometimes, people will take AP or IB classes in high school that add an extra point to the GPA for the class (A is 5, B is 4, etc.). You can also break it down into A+/A/A-, B+/B/B- etc. And there will be slightly different values for the GPA as such.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I think the most common measure of GPA is on the 4 point scale.

A (90-100%) is 4
B (80-89%) is 3
C (70-79%) is 2
D (60-69%) is 1
E (0-59%) is 0

Sometimes, people will take AP or IB classes in high school that add an extra point to the GPA for the class (A is 5, B is 4, etc.). You can also break it down into A+/A/A-, B+/B/B- etc. And there will be slightly different values for the GPA as such.

F? lol
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Also, if its too big of a hassle trying to calculate your GPA, a measure of your success/failure in high school is your class rank. Colleges look at it as: Top half of graduating class, Top 25% of graduating class, top 10%......
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
F? lol

My school had Es, not Fs.

Class rank can be a deceptive measure of success. At my high school, we had a lot of kids take AP/IB classes (so you could have a GPA higher than 4.0), and anybody with a GPA of 4.0 or higher was a valedictorian. So, I was ranked 1st in my high school class, when in reality, I was closer to 30th. (1st guy had like a 4.7 or something)
Quote by gibsonpenguin
My school had Es, not Fs.

Class rank can be a deceptive measure of success. At my high school, we had a lot of kids take AP/IB classes (so you could have a GPA higher than 4.0), and anybody with a GPA of 4.0 or higher was a valedictorian. So, I was ranked 1st in my high school class, when in reality, I was closer to 30th. (1st guy had like a 4.7 or something)

That seems stupid IMO, we have the same thing with people having higher than 4.0, but the person with the highest GPA is the valedictorian, not 1/8th of the class.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Hurrah for being in a country with free education.
/has not read thread.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If you join the army, and get into their doctor programs or whatever, they'll pay it all for you and guarantee employment for a few years afterwards.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Jeez, that's messed up, in Scotland, the government pays for all our education, up to and including university.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Hurrah for being in a country with free education.
/has not read thread.

hoorah!

me too!

the only thing I have to pay for is the dorms and food
Quote by seljer
hoorah!

me too!

the only thing I have to pay for is the dorms and food

Secondary school, about €50 a year for sports equipment. Now in college and it's €825, and that's our free fees. Although my course is €15000 for non EU students so they're dramatically reduced, in Ireland this is.
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30