at 160 bpm.

I still haven't learned sweep picking and I can't recognize it. So I'm asking you, is that sweep picking? When I listen to this part in the song it really sounds like sweeping, but I'm not sure. I can move my left hand up to speed, but I just up-pick, no sweeping, and it doesn't sound right.

The song is one of the parts of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, About to Crash (Reprise), by Dream Theater.
If it sounds like sweeping, and doesn't sound right when you don't sweep, it's generally sweeping

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Nope. That is legato playing.

You only pick the string once with the right hand and pull-off with the left.

Sweeping is different.. Hold on I'll go find a tab with sweeping in it...

EDIT:

Alrighty. That is sweep picking. (From Everytime I Die - Children of Bodom)

EDIT 2: ****, sry it's huge I don't know how to make it smaller...
Last edited by Jonjy2 at Feb 17, 2008,
This is my sweep picking excersize.

[tab]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----15---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------14---------------------14-----------------------------------------------------
--------------16---------16------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------17-------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/tab]

Its pretty simple.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
It's sweep picking using legato... It's technically sweep picking, but the time between strokes makes it a little slower. But you're splitting hairs here, really.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
@ Thread Starter:

I wouldn't really call it sweep picking. IF you want a bit of sweep picking from Dream Theater look up In the Name of God or There's a small sweep in In the Presence of enemies pt 1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------13-12-------------------------------------------
---------------14------------------------------------------------
-------------14--------------------------------------------------
--------12h15----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

nothing really hard but good for a beginner like me
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Last edited by Xplozive at Feb 18, 2008,