alright so i am learning from this book by troy stetina and i have to play a lot on the upper frets and some of the exercises call for hammer-on's with out picking the string and when i have to hammeron with my pinky i cant get the string to ring out, also i cant reach the strings well, i think its partly because of the neck of my les paul, so if you guys have any suggestions on how to reach the upper frets batter and hammer on to non picked strings that would be really appreciated
Les Pauls have poor upper fret access, so that's probably part of the problem. However, for being able to sound the strings properly, you're just gonna have to train your pinky till it's strong enough to hammer-on powerful enough.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
yeah i was thinking that was part of the problem, but do strats have better fret access?
Schecters do
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
SG's probably have the best fret access for a massively produced guitar. Most strats are bolt-on so you probably wont get good fret access with a strat
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
you might also be hitting too close to the fret wires, am working from the same serious of books (volume one) and my tutor pointed out that to get a clean hammer on at the upper frets you should aim a lil further from the fret wire than normal (basically the middle of the fret) to get the same result because the frets are closer together
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
The SG 3/4 seems the guitar of choice for the smaller frame/smaller hand. No offence to those that are so inclined: Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics is one of the best axemen around - I mean he can do anything without even glancing down and while singing at the same time. Very underrated. Check them out live via Youtube.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Peter Hayes
The SG 3/4 seems the guitar of choice for the smaller frame/smaller hand. No offence to those that are so inclined: Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics is one of the best axemen around - I mean he can do anything without even glancing down and while singing at the same time. Very underrated. Check them out live via Youtube.

i actually have quite large hands, i just cant fit my fingers in the area where i have to play, but i will check out an sg, i have never played one before but hear good things about them
you need to play classical style ( with your thumb pressed against the back of the neck) thats how you get enough stretching ability to have more strength left for hammering on
yeah i have tried playing classically but since i havent done it in a while i am not used to it, also since the les paul is kind of large it is uncomfortable