Just recently got my V8 and 10 band Eq. My RG has designed by EMG Pups. I dont get very good chord work and G,B and E string always sound to twangy. Ive been looking at some Seymor Duncan's and BG's. Will new PUP's be worth the money? Will it make a difference in my sound with my current rig? If not what should I do with $300?
Pups will definitely help you especially if those fake emgs are passive, I can't imagine how fakes of the worst emgs pups would sound . It's hard to suggest pups without a style or anything, I'm not very experienced anyhow. Someone else could help you for sure.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play rock and metal...what would be some decent pickups for me?

I've got an rg with the same pups as well.
Quote by cedaguol
ill suggest the classic emg 81/85 or the 85/60

How good is the blues gonna sound with emgs?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by cedaguol
ill suggest the classic emg 81/85 or the 85/60

I was thinking Passive.
Quote by Titans36
From Blues Rock to Thrash Metal

You will never get good metal tone from your V8 but pickups can still help a lot. For your blues rock I'd go for a PAF (ish) pickup with PE wire, alnico V magnets and a cover. Something like a covered version of the semore duncan 59 would be a good start but something hand wound would be better. For the bridge I'd go with something higher output. I'd aim for around 14 K if you use an alnico magnet and around 15 to 16K if you get something with a ceramic magnet. An alnico bridge will give you better harmonics (alnico III is the best for this) but will have less output, cut and definition for your solo's. A ceramic magnet will have the cut, output, and definition but it'll lack the warmth, grit, and harmonics of alnico.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Titans36
Ive been looking at these.

http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html

I've never tried those. If he uses PE wire for his PAF replica then it could be good for you. If he doesn't then I wouldn't bother. The chrome covers he sells are not good either so if you did get pickups from him you should make sure you get nickel silver covers or you should buy your covers from someone else.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I've never tried those. If he uses PE wire for his PAF replica then it could be good for you. If he doesn't then I wouldn't bother. The chrome covers he sells are not good either so if you did get pickups from him you should make sure you get nickel silver covers or you should buy your covers from someone else.

i wish i could give you an award for giving great advice, recommmending a pickup to him from other companies, becuase you are helping him find the best pickup for what he wants to do. and not even mentioning anything like, "hey, buy my handwound pickups."
i wish more business men were like you.
^thanks

Quote by Titans36
I could use the covers I have now? or no!

The covers from your fake EMG's? Those are plastic and don't change tone. That could be fine for your high output bridge but for good blues rock from the neck you will want a nickel silver cover.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by chea_man
i wish i could give you an award for giving great advice, recommmending a pickup to him from other companies, becuase you are helping him find the best pickup for what he wants to do. and not even mentioning anything like, "hey, buy my handwound pickups."
i wish more business men were like you.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Corduroy or Dave, I have a Crate V16 Palomino, what pickups do you think would work for my RG321 for Modern Rock(Coheed, QOTSA, Foo Fighters) to Metal (CoB, LoG, KsE, Metallica, Megadeth)?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
^in the neck I'd go with a medium output pickup. Something around 8.4K to 10K with alnico 5 magnets is good. The PAF pro is very popular for this. That'll cover your moder rock neck tones. The bridge could be a bit tricky. Bands like LoG sound like they use high output alnico pickups (perhaps something in the range of the seymour duncan JB) which give them lots of thunder and a dark tone. Groups like Megadeth would be better suited with a 14K (ish) pickup with a ceramic magnet like the super distortion.
^really? They must filter the hell out of their treble then and then add a buttload of compression.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^in the neck I'd go with a medium output pickup. Something around 8.4K to 10K with alnico 5 magnets is good. The PAF pro is very popular for this. That'll cover your moder rock neck tones. The bridge could be a bit tricky. Bands like LoG sound like they use high output alnico pickups (perhaps something in the range of the seymour duncan JB) which give them lots of thunder and a dark tone. Groups like Megadeth would be better suited with a 14K (ish) pickup with a ceramic magnet like the super distortion.

Which Bridge pup would be less muddy?

I was looking at BKP's (I have the money) and emailed the guy there for his suggestions, and he said Cold Sweat in the neck and Miracle Man in the Bridge, would that be a good setup? Not trying to drop your suggestions, just throwing out ideas that I had.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Which Bridge pup would be less muddy?

I was looking at BKP's (I have the money) and emailed the guy there for his suggestions, and he said Cold Sweat in the neck and Miracle Man in the Bridge, would that be a good setup? Not trying to drop your suggestions, just throwing out ideas that I had.

The cold sweat is basically a handwound version of the super distortion so it's got your 14K with ceramic magnets. I'd suggest that in the bridge simply because you can add compression and filter off high end to get the squeal and boom of a high output pickup but it's hard to boost the high end for that megadeath tone without sounding fake.

In the neck I still think something with alnco would be better. 2 ceramic magnet pickups really restricst you in the relm of versitility. I'd suggest either a VH II or a black dog if you went with BKP's.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, that's what I read about their rig, multiple times, at least. They use a Mesa Mark IV, too. If you check out the Mark Morton signature guitar, it's loaded with SH-1's.

Just goes to show, you can do damn near anthing with a PAF.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The cold sweat is basically a handwound version of the super distortion so it's got your 14K with ceramic magnets. I'd suggest that in the bridge simply because you can add compression and filter off high end to get the squeal and boom of a high output pickup but it's hard to boost the high end for that megadeath tone without sounding fake.

In the neck I still think something with alnco would be better. 2 ceramic magnet pickups really restricst you in the relm of versitility. I'd suggest either a VH II or a black dog if you went with BKP's.

What about gettting the Miracle man in the bridge position then?

Would the VH II or Black Dog be able to get a lead tone like in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lswt6nCjAHc&feature=related

for leads, I'm looking at a tone like that, or that of In Flames lead work.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Too much twang? Why don't you roll down your volume knob down like...a smidge.

Or roll down your tone knob a bit.

They're powerful tools.

+1 Have you tried going to the neck pu yet? Most bridge pu's are gonna sound pretty bright with the V8. Thats why i use my neck pu for most things except for aggressive stuff.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
What about gettting the Miracle man in the bridge position then?

Would the VH II or Black Dog be able to get a lead tone like in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lswt6nCjAHc&feature=related

for leads, I'm looking at a tone like that, or that of In Flames lead work.

I think that in general the Miracle man is not as good as the cold sweat. The Miracle man doesn't have the adjustable poles so you can't fine tune it as well, it uses smaller magnet wire which filters off bass, and all those extra windings compress your tone. In addion, its got more of a 'wet' tone that doesn't have the definision that you would get from the cold sweat. The mirical man is a great pickup and it'll do your heavy stuff very well, but it's not going to be as good for your modern rock. In an amp like the V16 I think the cold sweat will handle the heavy stuff just as well as the mirical man and I think it'll handle the rock better than the mirical man. Both would work well though.

I think for tones like you are hearing in that vid the black dog would be better. It's a darker pickup than the VH II and has more compression. Of course with a good compression pedal and a good EQ you could still get tones (and harmonix) like that from an unpotted PAF.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 17, 2008,
Throw some real EMGs in it. Maybe a 81+85 if you're going to be playing on the dirty channel alot, or 60+81 if you value cleans more.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I think that in general the Miracle man is not as good as the cold sweat. The Miracle man doesn't have the adjustable poles so you can't fine tune it as well, it uses smaller magnet wire which filters off bass, and all those extra windings compress your tone. In addion, its got more of a 'wet' tone that doesn't have the definision that you would get from the cold sweat. The mirical man is a great pickup and it'll do your heavy stuff very well, but it's not going to be as good for your modern rock. In an amp like the V16 I think the cold sweat will handle the heavy stuff just as well as the mirical man and I think it'll handle the rock better than the mirical man. Both would work well though.

I think for tones like you are hearing in that vid the black dog would be better. It's a darker pickup than the VH II and has more compression. Of course with a good compression pedal and a good EQ you could still get tones (and harmonix) like that from an unpotted PAF.

Something else I should mention is that I'm looking at getting a used 5150 or a Peavey Windsor halfstack for my higher gain needs, so would that make an impact on what pickups I should get? Also, would it be better go with a higher out put pup like the Warpig, Nailbomb, D-Activator, Breed, Custom Custom etc or go with a Cold Sweat, PAF Pro, SH-1 option and have to boost it for the metal tones?
If anything, the peavey will take away your need for high output pickups. If you have the money for handwound pickups you will almost always be better off with them than with machine wound pickups. Hand wound pickups give more sinsetivity and a more flat responce so they drive your amp more and seem to have more output even if they really have less output. They also tend to sound more balanced. That means that if you have the money for something better, you should not go with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio's

In the bridge with a brighter amp like the Windsor you could use a high output alnico pickup like the Warpic or Nailbomb but on your V16 they will just sound like mud and on your peavy you won't need the extra output. A compression pedal and a PAF (ish) pickup would be better than a really high output bridge. Like forsaknazrial pointed out, LoG was only using PAF's where are vintage output. Typically high output pickups limit your versitility but make your metal tone come easier. That is why the only high output humbuckers I offer use Neodymium. It's because high output alnico sounds like mud but has great metal squeals and high output ceramics sound dull when clean. Neodymium is the only magnet that can do both well, but even neodymium restricst your tone simply because they scoop your midrange soo much.
i haven't tried the palomino, but i should add that the neck cold sweat is alnico V. Only the bridge version is ceramic.

MM/CS is a good combo. I haven't tried the bridge CS, though, but i suspect cordy is right about the compression thing/versatility. The MM is an awesome pickup, but it is, to be honest, kind of a one-trick pony. An awesome one trick pony, but still.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW
If anything, the peavey will take away your need for high output pickups. If you have the money for handwound pickups you will almost always be better off with them than with machine wound pickups. Hand wound pickups give more sinsetivity and a more flat responce so they drive your amp more and seem to have more output even if they really have less output. They also tend to sound more balanced.

In the bridge with a brighter amp like the Windsor you could use a high output alnico pickup like the Warpic or Nailbomb but on your V16 they will just sound like mud and on your peavy you won't need the extra output. A compression pedal and a PAF (ish) pickup would be better than a really high output bridge. Like forsaknazrial pointed out, LoG was only using PAF's where are vintage output. Typically high output pickups limit your versitility but make your metal tone come easier. That is why the only high output humbuckers I offer use Neodymium. It's because high output alnico sounds like mud but has great metal squeals and high output ceramics sound dull when clean. Neodymium is the only magnet that can do both well, but even neodymium restricst your tone simply because they scoop your midrange soo much.

TYVM, that has cleared up a lot for me. So medium output cermic bridge and medium output alnico neck

Dave, what is that one trick that the MM does?
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Feb 17, 2008,