So after getting my body blank for my guitar build all cut out I had some left over wood. I had no clue with what to build. And I wasn't going to just throw it away, cuz that would be a waste of the mahogony. That's when I came across this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=jedF70lnzqc.
I thought it was pretty awesome. And I was really interested in the thing that claypool was playing. I did some research and discovered that it was a whamola. I looked for some plans but couldn't find any.
So my question is, does anybody have any plans for one or know where I can get some?
And what are the things that I'm gonna need to build it?
Thanks
Quote by ManicBluesist
its a stick... with another stick attached by string with some masking tape at either end... how do you make it.... figure it out

Way to be an ignorant dumbass. I applaud your efforts. There's more to it than what you said.
-bridge
-pickup
-pully system
-and since I don't have a 6 foot long piece of wood laying around I have to connect smaller pieces. But making joints on the end grain doesn't work very well so what kind of joint should I use?
I'm looking for a more detailed plan and to know if I missed anything.
to make a joint, do it like you would to make a neck, cut the ends at an angle, and then glue them opposite, so it makes just one long piece of wood.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Hello, I'am building one for my son. Just waiting for the pickup to arrive .It's all aluminum. There is a couple of pieces of maple.
I'am getting really sick and tired of all the negative replies towards people with question they have posted. If someone has a question answer it with some intelligents.If you have no clue for a answer keep your fingers of the keyboard.
Quote by PTModIT
I'am getting really sick and tired of all the negative replies towards people with question they have posted. If someone has a question answer it with some intelligents.If you have no clue for a answer keep your fingers of the keyboard.

True that man.
Quote by PTModIT

All you can do is report, then help the threadstarter by giving a good answer. The mods do a good job in here culling the idiots.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Damn. I want one. I have 4+ feet of maple left over from guitar necks too (not that I wouldnt buy some sweet black walnut to make this thing look awesome)

But that means I need to figure out how to build one.

Howstuffworks and wikipedia? I'll check
EDIT: http://www.welshcrew.com/kevin/whamola.html

Guy built one and made a blog. good starting point

Alright, from what I gather-

The overall cost will be about $100(For me, I have some of this left over. Maybe $200 otherwise, if you go super hardcore with the quality of stuff you get?), so not too bad.

What you'll need
something to act as a fretboard (Maple in my case)
A "Body" (Black walnut for me)
A bass tuner
A Bass pickup
A bridge/raised part thing for string height.
A Pully
A stand of some sort.
A Jack
A volume knob
Tone control ( I think I'll use a rotary tone)
And potentiometers. (what are bass pots supposed to be?)

Some kind of string. If you use a 35'' Scale then you can probably get away with using electric/acoustic bass strings, if you go up to like, 42'' scale you need to get some upright bass strings. These are more expensive, but I cant find any to tell you how much.

EDIT: Holy @$#$, upright bass strings are like, $40 a peice 0_o
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Feb 18, 2008,
I am nearly finished with mine, so I will give you a rundown of what i used

Body was a piece of the rail that is used for sliding doors on shed, like a boxed aluminum with an open edge. I used a large eyelet bolt with washers for attatching one end of the string. No bridge for me, i like how it worked without one. I am using one of two split pickups, turned 90 degrees from its conventional use (wiki whamola, and then look at how claypools pup is mounted). For the handle and pulley, i cut a 2x4 down to a 2x2 and did some moulding with a rasp and file, then wrapped it with hockey tape for comfort. The end that the strong goes over is filed to a curve with a groove in it to seat the string in. After the string goes all the way over the curve and groove, i have a hole drilled through the handle which the string feeds through and then is attatched by going through a bolt that has a hole in it and tightening a nut on the bolt to make the string catch on the handle. I used a spray on bedliner to finish the body. I am going to make a fretboard out of a ripped 2x4, rasp file and sand accordingly. Hope this helps someone who is trying to build their own, my total cost broke down as such:
8 foot rail (cut down to size) 25$
Cost of a 2x4 (Part for handle, part for fingerboard)
Cost of washers and eyelet bolt
Cost of your electronics
Cost of string

Fortunately for myself, the only thing i didnt have lying around was the rail for the body. I recently replaced the pups in my bass, and had the old originals lying around and they seem to work just fine on test runs. Any questions, send me a message and i will help as much as possible.