Any suggestions? I'm thinking of something like a Boss DS-2 or a EHX Big Muff.

BTW, the tones I'm after are Stadium Arcadium tones (Dani California, She's Only 18, Especially in Michigan...I could go on for a while...)
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
He uses a Big Muff, and i think he also has a Boss pedal of some sort. Alot of his tone i think comes from the fact that he has a great vintage Marshall JCM, as well as a whole bunch of other pedals.
Quote by qotsa1998
He uses a Big Muff, and i think he also has a Boss pedal of some sort. Alot of his tone i think comes from the fact that he has a great vintage Marshall JCM, as well as a whole bunch of other pedals.

Basically to get a Jimi style sound?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of something like a Boss DS-2 or a EHX Big Muff.

BTW, the tones I'm after are Stadium Arcadium tones (Dani California, She's Only 18, Especially in Michigan...I could go on for a while...)

You mean rythm or solos in those? Because He played on Boss DS-2 rythm parts and solos on Big Muff/English Muff'N
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Quote by qotsa1998

He used a jcm800 around mm and bssm time i think, although some of bssm was done straight into the board, now he uses 2 marshall silver jubilees and a 200w marshall major
POST FINDER
Quote by mattreid222
He used a jcm800 around mm and bssm time i think, although some of bssm was done straight into the board, now he uses 2 marshall silver jubilees and a 200w marshall major

Exactly right. he used a JTM45 during Cali, and had a H&K amp around there too. Though his primary tone comes from a Marshall. He uses a DS-2 for rhythm, and a Big Muff, now ditched for a Muff'n, for lead tones. He also has a Mosrite Fuzzrite. I've seen two Fuzz Factories on his board during Slane.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Karol1701
You mean rythm or solos in those? Because He played on Boss DS-2 rythm parts and solos on Big Muff/English Muff'N

Good Question, I should have specified. I meant Rhythm for the most part. I know that the Especially and Michigan leads are done using the Muff'n but I also know that that's out of my price range.

Quote by rhcp_freak

Exactly right. he used a JTM45 during Cali, and had a H&K amp around there too. Though his primary tone comes from a Marshall. He uses a DS-2 for rhythm, and a Big Muff, now ditched for a Muff'n, for lead tones. He also has a Mosrite Fuzzrite. I've seen two Fuzz Factories on his board during Slane.

What do you mean by primary tone? Clean tone? I'm quite satisfied with my clean tone. I'm just looking for a different sort of distortion compared to what I have right now.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
^+1
Atleast the distorted sound you can hear at the chorus on Dani California. I'm listening to the bass & guitar version of stadium arcadium right now, and you can clearly haer that he uses a lot of fuzz.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
In my experience, I found the little big muf to be a bit closer to that kind of smooth tone; the big muf always seemed a bit harsher. Also, it kills mids which are a lot more apparent in SA than in previous albums.
Quote by Hultan
^+1
Atleast the distorted sound you can hear at the chorus on Dani California. I'm listening to the bass & guitar version of stadium arcadium right now, and you can clearly haer that he uses a lot of fuzz.

That's incorrect, he uses the DS-2 for the chorus. He's even said it himself. The Muff and Muff'n were for solos.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Hultan
^+1

theres a recording of sa with just guitar and bass? that sounds sweeet, could you give me a link to it please?
POST FINDER
Quote by mattreid222
theres a recording of sa with just guitar and bass? that sounds sweeet, could you give me a link to it please?

Ooooh, missed out on that bit. Can I have it please?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
That's incorrect, he uses the DS-2 for the chorus. He's even said it himself. The Muff and Muff'n were for solos.

Have you heard it? It sounds very much like a fuzz pedal to me, the solos too yeah, but also the chorus I think.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Big Muff or modded Ds-1
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Hultan
Have you heard it? It sounds very much like a fuzz pedal to me, the solos too yeah, but also the chorus I think.

have you seen the dani cali lesson vids on youtube? i think its on that he says about using ds2 on chorus, i'm not sure though
POST FINDER
Yeah, Hultan, he says it in a video.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Yes he uses a DS-2, but did he say that he did NOT use a Big Muff?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
He says that the Muff's for the solo.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak

This is the first I have ever heard of Fru using an H&K
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
tis a fact. it was awhile ago tho.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by rhcp_freak

This answers the thread. Why does this thread keep barrelling along lol?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Hultan
Yes he uses a DS-2, but did he say that he did NOT use a Big Muff?

He never said he didn't used a Big Muff, but Dani California is a DS-2 and a lot of Stadium Arcadium, the tones I am after, uses the English Muff'n.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post. I don't care what gear Frusciante actually plays, I just want to know what a good pedal would be to get his sound. Obviously having an identical rig would help, but I'm not about to go buy a Marshall Silver Jubilee just to sound like Frusciante. I'm looking for a pedal in the $75-150 CDN range that will get a good Frusciante tone, preferably something smaller like a Boss DS-2. Is there anything else I should check out?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
He never said he didn't used a Big Muff, but Dani California is a DS-2 and a lot of Stadium Arcadium, the tones I am after, uses the English Muff'n.

If i remember correctly he didn't have the English Muff'N on his pedalboard until sometime into the SA tour, and the only place i can really hear a sound like the Englsih Muff'N on the whole album is during this one section on especially in michigan. Anyway if you want a cheap pedal to get Frusciante sound its gunna be DS2 and/or Big Muff.
POST FINDER
Quote by mike.h
This answers the thread. Why does this thread keep barrelling along lol?

Froosh fans love to talk about his rig
me included
Quote by mattreid222
If i remember correctly he didn't have the English Muff'N on his pedalboard until sometime into the SA tour, and the only place i can really hear a sound like the Englsih Muff'N on the whole album is during this one section on especially in michigan. Anyway if you want a cheap pedal to get Frusciante sound its gunna be DS2 and/or Big Muff.

Sounds good, I think the Muff'n is a British voiced pedal judging by the name. My Plexitube already covers this territory, so I'm probably looking into the DS-2 then, I've tried Muffs before and I've never really liked them.

Quote by guitaristd
Froosh fans love to talk about his rig
me included

100% true
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube