I'm attempting my first build and I've been thinking about routing the back of the body for the pickups instead of the front so you can't see them. I'd probably have to make the neck pocket a bit deeper and lower the bridge somehow so that the pickups aren't too far from the strings. Has anyone heard of or done anything like this?

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
I believe a kid won Guitar of the Month on projectguitar.com with a pickup under the wood
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
you d be better off putting a peizo in the guitar if you want invisible pick ups
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Put the pickup under the bridge/saddle. Theres a Gibson thats like that
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
If u used Actives, i think it could work. The idea has passed my mind sometime i think to do a guitar with pickups covered by a glued-on top piece. But they would be pretty hard to get to if something came loose or u wanted to replace em. But if u routed out the back and put the wiring there, and had maybe some sort of plastic pop-out peice under the pickups, i think that would work.
Perhaps it would be better to put the pickups in normally but set them deep enough so that you could cover them with a very thin block of wood that you can paint over. But you would definitely have to lower the bridge a LOT.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Or place it under the pick guard?
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
The pickups ability to detect string vibration is based on how close it is to the strings. The wood will make no difference in that (although metal would) so your idea could work. The problem is that the neck would have to be very deep, and you would have to do a, funny looking, rout into the bridge so that the strings could be really close the the body of the guitar. The biggest issue with all of this is that having the strings closer to the body will hurt sustain, make setups more challenging and make picking rather difficult. So it can be done, and it can sound normal but the technical issues make it so I wouldn't suggest it.
Not taking any online orders.
would it work if the wood between the strings and pickup was really thin, i've often wondered if this would work .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
My telecaster was a 'stealth-esquire' (esquire with a neck pickup under the pickguard) for a while. It sounded pretty good, but the output was very weak. Whether your idea will work depends a lot on what kind of pickups you're using. For example, strat pickups sound best when very low, while many humbuckers should be put very close to the strings.
There was a modded Ibanez (I think) that had the pickups sealed in with putty or bondo filler or something and then sprayed with primer. He recessed the bridge and deepened the neck pocket and claimed it sounded fine.
Quote by jd44
Or place it under the pick guard?

+1
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
does anyone know of any pics or specific guitars that I could look up that are like that? The main reason I want to do this is for the looks.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Pickups create a magnetic inductance loop that picks up the vibration of the strings. The strength of the loop depends on how many wire wraps, the type of magnet used, and voltage going through the wire. Think of the way the sensors in the road at a traffic light work. Your car breaks the loop, which lets the system know that there's a car there.

That being said, use a piezo. Check out the Line6 Variax, I believe it's what youre looking for.