Hey, I'm looking to get my second guitar. I started off with a Squire strat a good, 6 years ago or so and I'm really wanting to upgrade. I've played my friends Les Paul Standard at his house and I think I want to upgrade to an Epiphone Les Paul.

Specifically I was looking at the Custom vs. Standard. What are the main big differences between the two. Is it really worth another $150?

Thanks.
I think it is. The custom looks awesome, especially the black on black. Ive heard that the custom has better wood, pickups, and is an overall better quality guitar. As far as the Plus-Top goes, i have heard that Epi doesnt use a maple cap, they use a very thin layer of Flamed Maple or a wood grain sticker on top of the wood. So ur paying for a Standard Plain-top with a sticker if u get the Plus top. Go for the Custom IMO.
well, the Custom is mainly different in cosmetics, and its not really worth the extra $150 IMO. so i think ur better off with the Standard.

but, if u do have the extra cash lying around, it'd be nice to get the custom, cuz i have a ebony Les Paul Custom, and i really really really love the way it looks. even though it plays similarly to a Standard Epiphone Les Paul.

EDIT: seems like qotsa1998 knows more than me, so i guess u better listen to him, i might be wrong
I know right?

Granted it hasn't been really consistently played for 6 years, that's how long I've had it.

I was actually looking to get the Alpine White custom. I'll probably take a trip to guitar center in the next few days to check them out. Also with my tax return it will bump me up to enough for either guitar.
With the Custom, the most obvious difference (and in fact the only difference many peopel think there is) is that you get different (arguably nicer) finishes, such as the very popular alpine white with gold hardware.

Other, less noticable differences, include:
- Pickups. Custom's pickups are wound in Korea, Standard's are wound in China.
- All the woods used in the Custom (body, top, neck and fretboard) are roughly one grade higher than the same woods used in the Standard.
- The hardware (bridge, tuners, etc) on the Customs is of a slightly higher quality cast than the hardware used in Standards. Note that although the actual metal is alittle harder and each piece is cast better, the 'gold' on this hardware still does rub off and dim pretty quickly anyway.
- The wiring, pots and so on, are, as you can probably guess, slightly better on the Customs.

Basically, you pay an extra hundred or so, and everything gets slightly upgraded all-round. Personally, I think it's worth it, but for people on a tight budget, I doubt these differences will be worth paying out extra for.

Quote by qotsa1998
i have heard that Epi doesnt use a maple cap, they use a very thin layer of Flamed Maple or a wood grain sticker on top of the wood. So ur paying for a Standard Plain-top with a sticker if u get the Plus top. Go for the Custom IMO.
This was true one some of the lower range guitars up until two years ago. Mid-range and higher guitars have always had a proper maple cap (flame or plain). Two years ago, Epiphone over-hauled their production significantly, upgrading and changing the materials used in all their mid-range and higher guitars, and the laminate ('sticker') flame tops were removed from all Epi guitars entirely.
Last edited by bokuho at Feb 17, 2008,
quite point to make i own a custom les paul epi version nd the quality comapred to a standard lp is better. it all depends on what u like. if i was you id wuld try the standard and custom guitars b4 u choose which one u like. And the extra 150 dollars is well worth it. if anyting get the guitar propally set up by a proffesional b4 playin it, nothing worse than a poorly set up guitar. to be honest the only difference is how they are made nd the humbuckers which vary from series to series