the other day i took apart my ibanez guitar for my usual 3 month or so cleaning/inspection and i noticed that the knife edges on my edge III bridge were really effed up. now while i do use my tremello alot its usually just for subtle vibrato on bent notes or notes im holding with my pinky, also last time i checked them a few months ago they were fine and ive kept them well lubricated. so i was wondering if its normal to wear them that fast (ive owned the guitar for just under a year and play it roughly 5 hours a week) or if theres something that could be causing it that im just not seeing. also once your knife edges are ruined do you have to replace the whole bridge piece or can you repair them somehow? ive put it back together and there are no problems at all with using it or with it staying in tune so also i wanna know if its ok to just keep playing it or if it would be smart to fix it?
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
how bad is it? pics?
knife edges aren't repairable (sp?) but at least this gives you an excuse to get a better trem.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
how bad is it? pics?
knife edges aren't repairable (sp?) but at least this gives you an excuse to get a better trem.

i cant get any picts of it at the moment but basically when i got it the knife edges were straight and flush with the neck side of the bridge and now they are ground away so that they curve inwards quite a bit, especially the bottom one (im guessing because more stress is caused there from that being the side that the actual bar pushes and pulls on)
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Some wammies use better metal than others. If its hardened properly will last a long time. But lower priced guitars wont have this step done to them. I have a squire that I never used the wammie had one of the knife edges screwed up from just being strung for a long time. Its why some wammies cost a whole lot more to buy than others.