I've heard a lot about how if you don't take precautions, you can get electrocuted and die from working on an amp, even if it's unplugged. What are you supposed to do?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
get an insulated wire with an aligator clip on one side and a metal probe on the other. Clip the aligator clip to the chassis and then touch the metal probe to the 1st pin of the 1st preamp tube. Hold it there for about 30 seconds and then touch the probe to one of the wires that runs from an output tube to the output transformer and hold it there for about 5 seconds.

If, while discharging the amp, you touch the chassis, any pins of the tube, or any bare metal on the wire with the metal probe and aligator clip then you can kill yourself.
Not taking any online orders.
You have discharge the capacitors, and generally know what you're doing. I suggest reading as much as you can find before attempting anything.
Quote by CorduroyEW
get an insulated wire with an aligator clip on one side and a metal probe on the other. Clip the aligator clip to the chassis and then touch the metal probe to the 1st pin of the 1st preamp tube. Hold it there for about 30 seconds and then touch the probe to one of the wires that runs from an output tube to the output transformer and hold it there for about 5 seconds.

If, while discharging the amp, you touch the chassis, any pins of the tube, or any bare metal on the wire with the metal probe and aligator clip then you can kill yourself.

It's a small solid state amp so what do I do instead?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
That depends... Some solid state amps won't kill you when you open them, but there isn't much you can do with a solid state so what is the point? When you discharge the power caps on a solid state you do basically the same thing but you touch the positive side of the filter caps with your probe and you have to have a 100ohm resistor on the wire that you use.
Quote by CorduroyEW

Can't you just clip a resistor from the filter caps to the chassis?
Quote by kurtlives91

That's basically what he's describing, except that there will be some resistors in between.
Quote by kurtlives91

Pin one has a 100 ohm resistor already. My way just saves you from having to get another 100 ohm resistor and it means you don't have to take off the cap pan if your amp has one but there is nothing wrong with your way.