Okay, I might buy a harmonica. (recommendations)

But I don't know anything about them. What type of harmonica should I buy? (diatonic, eg)

Plus is it really difficult to learn?
And I've seen there are sets of 7+ harmonicas in different keys, and I was rather confused... :S

So yeah, can you recommend me some good harmonicas (starter, obviously)?
I recently bought two 10-hole diatonic harmonicas (one in A, one in C). They're loads of fun.

Mine are hohner silverstars (AU$10 each) but I wouldn't recommend them.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Personally, I use Hohner Marine Band harmonicas. They are made in Germany, handmade, wood, and very playable. Mine is a 10 hole harp btw.

What about the key they are in? Does it really matter and make a difference?
Yes it does matter and it does make a difference. A harp in C will only play the notes C D E F G A B, a harp in A will only play the notes A B C# D E F# G#. You could use the A harp for a song in A, or the C harp for a song in C. If you used a Db harp with a song in C it would sound bad because they share no notes.

Playing "cross-harp" means to use the harmonica to play the mixolydian mode. So, if I'm playing a blues in G on my guitar, I want a harmonica that plays G mixolydian. G mixolydian has the same notes as C major so I would use my C harp to play it. If I was playing blues in E on my guitar I'd use my A harp. The easiest way to work out what harmonica to use to play cross harp is to count up a fourth from the key of the song.

It is also possible to bend notes on harmonica, which allows you to play notes in other keys.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Yes it does matter and it does make a difference. A harp in C will only play the notes C D E F G A B, a harp in A will only play the notes A B C# D E F# G#. You could use the A harp for a song in A, or the C harp for a song in C. If you used a Db harp with a song in C it would sound bad because they share no notes.

Playing "cross-harp" means to use the harmonica to play the mixolydian mode. So, if I'm playing a blues in G on my guitar, I want a harmonica that plays G mixolydian. G mixolydian has the same notes as C major so I would use my C harp to play it. If I was playing blues in E on my guitar I'd use my A harp. The easiest way to work out what harmonica to use to play cross harp is to count up a fourth from the key of the song.

It is also possible to bend notes on harmonica, which allows you to play notes in other keys.

To play a song in A as you were saying you would need a key of D harp!

To work it out, find out what key the song you want to play is in, then count back 4 tones. eg songs starts in G, 4 tones back would be C, so you would play along on a C harp.

This might help.

key of song/key of harp to use.
A --------- D
B --------- E
C --------- F
D --------- G
E --------- A
F --------- B
G ---------- C

A good beginners harp would be the Silver Star, by Hohner. only cost about $7-10, then as you get more experienced you can upgrade as you see fit.

Most people recomend that beginners start with a diatonic harmonica in the key of "C" major as most beginning harmonica instruction books are written in the key of "C". Diatonic harmonicas are relatively inexpensive and they allow you to develop your playing technique, breath control, and sound variations (vibrato, close/open hand, etc.) without worrying about hitting a button for sharps and flats
I didnt really like hohner marine band's, their a bit stiff to play. Nice sounding though.
I have a lee oskar harmonica in D major and its LUSH. I would deffinately reccomant one. Very smooth and easy to play, with a great tone. Brighter sounding than a marine band.

They cost about £20 in the uk, not sure what elsewhere.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park