Just got a Fender Strat off eBay and the bridge is leaning forward as if the whammy bar is being used (see the pics below). And when I put the whammy in the guitar it's just way to close to the body to use it normally. The guitar seems to play just fine, but should I really do something about this? And how much would it cost to fix it or get a new setup for it? I paid $300 for the guitar, by the way.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6213/1056591ae8.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3049/1056592sb7.jpg

And I just started playing guitar around 8 months ago so I don't know that much about parts and stuff.

Thanks.
Just use a lighter gauge string or get another spring in the back of your guitar, it's fine
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Mine does this as well, it's a floating bridge. I like it - though, mine doesn't do it as much as that. Just a little bit.
take off the back panel of your guitar screw the screws holding the bridge in place inwards it will couter ct the strings do it and keep retuning untill it is paralell with the body
Btw you don't have to change it at all, unless you dislike it.

Double edit - take it to a shop, don't **** with it yourself if you want to change the bridge.
Some people like it, I think Stevie Ray Vaughn has his bridge set like that.
You do lose tuning stability as the bridge is technically floating.
If it's bothering you, open up the back of your guitar and tighen the spring claw in the back cavity, you may also have to loosen the screws holding it in place (BUT ONLY VERY SLIGHTLY!).

Hope this helps.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
It needs set up. Nobody "sets" their bridge like this. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing, DIY on guitars usually ends badly.
I see.... thanks for the replies. Is it fine for me to just leave it like this for now, or should I really fix it? I just didn't know if it was broken or not.
Something that's good for fusion jazz with a bridge like this, is when you hammer on to a note hard then bash the bridge down with your right hand - it gives it this Alan Holdsworth-esque sound!
^^^ Yes they do lol.

^^ It's not gonna damage your guitar, but your action will lower slightly if you sort it out and your tuning stabilty will greatly increase too.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
NO, the string tension is too much, and its pulling the bridge. You have to remove the backplate and tighten the screws, If you can't then try adding a spring. That should do the trick
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
It needs set up. Nobody "sets" their bridge like this. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing, DIY on guitars usually ends badly.

WTF?! There are certain techniques you can only do with a bridge like this, like the Holdsworth type one I listed and a Van Halen-ish one too.

It is totally preference.
Hmm.. responses seem to be really mixed here... Some say it's damaging it, some says it's fine. So should I change it or not?

Well, I guess it's just my preference anyway, but I think it's too slanted (and I don't want to end up breaking it if that can happen)... if it was just a bit I think it'd be fine. And I'm in no way an advanced guitar player so I won't be doing any crazy techniques at least for now.

I really don't use the whammy (rarely) but it's just too close for me to use it anyway so I think I'll just tighten it up a bit.
Quote by dariuslarner
Hmm.. responses seem to be really mixed here... Some say it's damaging it, some says it's fine. So should I change it or not?

Well, I guess it's just my preference anyway, but I think it's too slanted (and I don't want to end up breaking it if that can happen)... if it was just a bit I think it'd be fine. And I'm in no way an advanced guitar player so I won't be doing any crazy techniques at least for now.

I really don't use the whammy (rarely) but it's just too close for me to use it anyway so I think I'll just tighten it up a bit.

Up to you - it does look quite set forward - if you won't be using any bridge based techniques, then yeah - it's totally up to you. Just don't break it (as it is NOT damage).
Its not going to cause you any problems, but if you never se it, I recommend ptting in some more springs or even just totally blocking it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
If there's 2 springs in the back you're missing one, send a mail to the guy you bought it from and ask him if he has it. He might post it to you ^^.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Okay, I opened up the backplate and here's what's going on:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1765/1056595fk7.jpg

Someone mentioned to just tighten the screws. I assume it's the two screws at the right? Tighten them a bit, evenly?

Then again other people are saying to add more springs. I have three extra springs, so how many should I add, and should I make them all straight (instead of how they move inward now)?
3 springs is plently. And they are positioned right too.
Yeah just tighten the screws half a turn each at a time till the bridge is flat against the body.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Okay, I seem to have fixed it. Here's some pics for anyone interested:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7874/1056597ng9.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3111/1056599dn2.jpg

At first the gap between the metal plate and the edge of the depression behind the backplate was around 1.5 cm and I narrowed it down to around 0.8 cm without it affecting the bridge much at all. Then I thought I was an idiot for not loosening the strings and so I did that and the bridge went completely flat. Then I loosened the screws in the backplate to get a gap of around 1.2 cm (.3 cm closer than original) and then retuned the guitar and all seems to be good now, and there's just a small lift at the bridge. The whammy bar works better although it's still a bit close. I guess it's fine; it's just that the whammy for the Yamaha in the background of some of the pics has a really steep bend towards the handle and it's perfect spacing from the guitar body.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, guys. I appreciate it.
Okay I guess I was wrong on saying that nobody sets their guitar like this. I guess the guy who wants to punch his floating bridge didn't come to mind. I'm sure that guitar stays tuned really well...brings to mind the famous forum picture. "Honey, are you coming to be?" "One minute...someone on the internet is WRONG!"
Quote by dariuslarner

dude.

that is nothin. i have mine set the same way. i call it semi-floating.

yes you can tighten the 2 screws that pull on the spring claw in the back like you are doing now. yes you can add more springs easily, i've had 3 and then 5 and then back to 3. no need to bother ebay seller as these springs are cheap and are your responsibility imo.

the other thing you can do is tighten the screws on top of your guitar at the bridge plate. MIMs have 6. MIAs have 2. that will 'flatten' your bridge down. please losen your guitar strings tho and retune or you could cause more problems.

just some added thoughts on straty

you may want to take it in and get a 'Set up' and truss rod adjustment as you never know what this strat has been thru. how much was it $$...?

;
Quote by dariuslarner
Just got a Fender Strat off eBay and the bridge is leaning forward as if the whammy bar is being used (see the pics below).

It's normal. The resting position is a floating position. When the bridge floats, it means the pulling forces on the strings are balanced out, and provided you have the least friction in the strings' path, the strings are back to their original tuned pitch.

That the bridge floats when not used is the way Leo fender designed the Fender trem.