Poll: Gold Frets?
Poll Options
View poll results: Gold Frets?
Yes
8 73%
No
3 27%
Voters: 11.
I've been thinking about Warmoth-ing a new neck for my strat, and I was wondering whether or not I should get gold frets. The new neck would be maple, with a reverse headstock. My strat is Olympic White with a pearloid pickguard and gold hardware, and those gold frets would go perfect with it. I'm just not sure about the size. I love the feel of Jumbo frets, but these are a bit smaller, so I'm not sure.

Ideas?
Gold is known to be a rather soft metal, so they might wear a bit faster. To what degree I've no idea.

That'd be the only con I can forsee.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
haha they arent solid gold frets dude, so you dont have to worry about wear too much. theyre probably brass like aformentioned
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Yeah, I'm mainly wondering about feel. Have any of you ever played on gold frets? Was it any good/different?
I played a guitar with some once, I couldn't notice a difference
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
id imagine they would be like gold hardware and get pitted and green and awful looking in about a year
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hoondog
id imagine they would be like gold hardware and get pitted and green and awful looking in about a year

My friends Epi Wylde looks like that, is ****in nasty
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
clean the frets
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
If the frets were gold plated, the gold would wear off incredibly fast from physical wear. They are probably brass, and as long as you keep em clean they should be fine. When they start tarnishing it will probably look a bit funky.
I use the warmoth gold fretwire on 5 of my guitars. It is some type of alloy and gold is the color of it throughout - it is not a "plating" - don't worry, it won't wear off, turn green or pit. It is harder than regular fretwire, but not quite as hard as stainless steel. I have had it on my main practice/gigging guitar for over 2 years now (I play it almost everyday) and there are not any signs of fretware yet. I would say it would last twice as long as regular fretwire. Plus it is harder so it polishes up very smooth, great for bending. And it looks great - Gibson uses it on there Les Paul Supreme series (which I also have one of). Highly recommended by me - I use it on all of my guitar builds.
Ah, well good then. I've seen your builds, and they just amaze me, so I value your opinion quite highly. I think you've just sold me. Thank you very much.