as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Grunge is about just playing with whatever you have on hand.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Any guitar will work. I'm into that kind of music, and I prefer a little more trebly guitars, so Fender comes to mind.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Grunge is about just playing with whatever you have on hand.

that'd be punk :p

a lot of people will say go for fender and that kind of sound, but thurston moore and kurt cobain of sonic youth and nirvana respectively both favoured humbucked guitars. a thicker sound is nice to have in grunge, i've found.
Fender guitars in general (a tele can do anything in my eyes), PRS (i believe soul asylum used them), and G&L.
there's no a perfect guitar for each rock sub-genre, just play the one you got, just look at Deryck Whibley, he played the super hard sum 41's chuck songs with a telecaster, a guitar that usually shows up into a softest music...
Quote by garage_kid
there's no a perfect guitar for each rock sub-genre, just play the one you got, just look at Deryck Whibley, he played the super hard sum 41's chuck songs with a telecaster, a guitar that usually shows up into a softest music...

But he used a humbucker. So you're right, guitars don't matter much. Pickup types do.
Quote by kthxbi

a lot of people will say go for fender and that kind of sound, but thurston moore and kurt cobain of sonic youth and nirvana respectively both favoured humbucked guitars. a thicker sound is nice to have in grunge, i've found.

Grunge developed almost directly out of hardcore punk, so the "any guitar you can find" thing kind of applies to both.
Quote by kthxbi

The concept of punk and grunge are very similar

cobain played a beaten modified strat for awhile
I don't even shred
grunge isn't really a sound, its more like an era. its almost like the mainstream rock of the early 90's. i'd say just your mainstream rock guitars then, maybe a strat, tele, les paul, or SG. Look at pearl jam, one of their guitarists uses a strat, the other a les paul. just go play all of those models and see which one you like best.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
For grunge I would recommend the cheapest piece of crap you can find. Maybe it will keep you form playing grunge.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Coming from a Dragonforce fan...
JK

I play an Ibanez GAX30 and it sounds just find with Nirvana and Audioslave (post-grunge, but whatever) songs, but like other people said, I would get something with at least a humbucker.
I play a Les Paul and i play 99% grunge music. It sounds gread, but a lot of the popular original grunge guitarists used Fenders:

Kurt cobain
Mike McCready (also used a LP though)

etc.

Use what you like, grunge sounds good on everything (with lots of distortion and loose playing)

* good to see posts about anything other than shredding or death metal
Last edited by jasamb at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by guitar_infidel
grunge isn't really a sound, its more like an era. its almost like the mainstream rock of the early 90's. i'd say just your mainstream rock guitars then, maybe a strat, tele, les paul, or SG. Look at pearl jam, one of their guitarists uses a strat, the other a les paul. just go play all of those models and see which one you like best.

Except grunge is actually the slowed down, heavy, metal influenced, nilhilistic hardcore punk/indie rock sound of the late 80s American west coast underground. Nirvana, despite being 'the' grunge band, aren't really a good representative of the sound. If it weren't for Nevermind/Smells Like Teen Spirit grunge would have died even sooner then it did, without the mainstream success.

Anyways, that aside, you're spot of for the guitars that would work. Grunge, like all punk, is less reliant on equipment then on emotion and 'feel'. If you wanna play heavy punk, use equipment like a metal band, if you wanna play lighter sounding punk, use equipment like mellower rock bands use.

A Jaguar with at least a bridge humbucker is a good start for making 'grunge' like noises.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by guitar_infidel

I agree. I do think though, in order to achieve some of these tones, I'd recommend a humbucker.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by STABxYOU
Except grunge is actually the slowed down, heavy, metal influenced, nilhilistic hardcore punk/indie rock sound of the late 80s American west coast underground. Nirvana, despite being 'the' grunge band, aren't really a good representative of the sound. If it weren't for Nevermind/Smells Like Teen Spirit grunge would have died even sooner then it did, without the mainstream success.

Anyways, that aside, you're spot of for the guitars that would work. Grunge, like all punk, is less reliant on equipment then on emotion and 'feel'. If you wanna play heavy punk, use equipment like a metal band, if you wanna play lighter sounding punk, use equipment like mellower rock bands use.

A Jaguar with at least a bridge humbucker is a good start for making 'grunge' like noises.

I disagree on your definition of Grunge. Alice in Chains does not fit into the Punk aspect you try to insist grunge consists of. Grunge has more to do with being from Seattle during the late 80's/early 90's.

But, people say you need a humbucker, but, I really find you can get by with single coils. I do.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I disagree on your definition of Grunge. Alice in Chains does not fit into the Punk aspect you try to insist grunge consists of. Grunge has more to do with being from Seattle during the late 80's/early 90's.

But, people say you need a humbucker, but, I really find you can get by with single coils. I do.

sure, single coils would WORK, but humbuckers have that high gain quality to them which always suits better. in my opinion anyway.
A Jaguar will suit grunge. I have a stock AV jag and it's really versatile. even with stock pickups. They're good btw. don't wanna swap out my pickups. They're pretty hot for single coils, when i compare them with my strat pickups. especially the bridge pickup.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by CORT noob

I always thought of Alice In Chains as a metal band that didn't fit with current metal trends, who happened to get lumped with grunge. "Oh, heavy and from Seattle? Grunge."

Anyways, you could get good tones for 'grunge' out of almost any pick-up, the bands that got labelled grunge weren't all that cohesive in terms of sound.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
use a mustang,jaguar,strat, or just use kurts personilized guitar the jag-stang. or even try some univoxs. just be sure to get some double humbuckers on it. ds1 or 2 wouldnt hurt either. the main pedal of grunge. pretty cheap pedal too.
Grunge is just the term used to coin the Seattle bands of the late 80's early 90's. That's why bands that sound similar (Bush, Smashing Pumpkins) aren't considered grunge. That's also why bands as diverse as Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains get lumped into the same music category. It only tells about location and not sound.

So ANYWAYS... threadstarter, go into a shop and just play everything. You'll will then find that any guitar can be distorted.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100