Poll: Do you want to join your country's armed services?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you want to join your country's armed services?
Yes, I plan to
54 16%
Yes, I am/have serving/served
12 4%
No, I do not plan to
274 81%
Voters: 340.
Page 1 of 4
The title says it all, If you have served or are currently serving, just vote yes.

What are your reasons for your choice?
Please try to only list reasons for or against YOUR country's armed services.

EDIT: for countries with compulsory service, just vote if you want to or not.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I think Patriotism is an outdated concept and I don;t much like the thought of joining an organization that is basically a collection of hired killers.

Before anybody says anything: Don't reply to this with anything about how sometimes countries have to fight 'Moral Wars' or anything like that, unless you can name me a single 'Moral' conflict taking place in the world right now?
I clicked Yes I Am because well tho i have not gone for my training, i have signed up and will be leaving shortly. Why am i joining? Working on planes will be fun (im going Aviation Systems Technician in the Air Force with the Canadian Forces), Pay is good, benefits are great, pension is great, experience will be great. Living life to its fullest this way i do something i enjoy and still get to travel the world learn new things and meet new people
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Nah. I'm partial to not being shot at.

well said good sir
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
btdt
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I won't, just because I REALLY don't want to die. Also, because I think I could do something better with my life, and I'm not meant to be in the army.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
No, and I don't really plan on it. I probably would if we got into a major war, but other than that, I have other things that I want to do to find fulfillment.
i'm totally joining when i'm through with high school. i mean what better job could there be for a pit monkey? I get to shoot ppl and watch stuff go BOOOOM!!! Oh and the best part is that I cant die because teenagers are invincible!

seriously though i am joining. after i serve for a few tours i might stay or join the police force.
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Im joining the Navy.
Many family members have been in either the Marines or the Navy. Im not exactly Marine material though.
?!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Nope. I don't like bullets going through me.

Yeah, cos everyone in the armed forces has to fight in a war before they leave.
There is poetry in despair.
I would do it just for the war stories and 'Nam-esque flashbacks.

Even now, though I'm way too young to have been in Nam, I use it as an excuse. Some girl asked me if I thought she was pretty (she wasn't) and I just screamed OH GOD, NAM FLASHBACKS AGAIN JESUS CHRIST THE ARTILLERY- NOOOO, JIMMY! and stormed off.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
I was planning to, but i decided against it. If my gap year sucks or i fail to get into Uni, i might join The Army or the RAF. Depends how i feel.
I have a ton of respect for people who have decided to serve their countries. But I'm a pacifist, and I'm not about to fight in a war for to make the rich richer at the expense of the working class.

Protest the cause, but support the troops.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Nope. I don't like bullets going through me.

the attitude of most people i know...shows how much cowards there are nowadays...but then again what have people got to really risk there lifes for now...say a huge world war 3 started would you join then?
I've joined the Australian army, so i'm leaving in a couple of months and i am soooo PUMPED for it

Why did i join? It's a secure job, decent pay, plenty of exercise, accomadation, food, and you're bound to make some friends for life. I'm going in for four years and i know very well that i might not live that long, but thats what i want to do.
Quote by Sora 01
the attitude of most people i know...shows how much cowards there are nowadays...but then again what have people got to really risk there lifes for now...say a huge world war 3 started would you join then?

Are you a member of an Army, or are you yourself a 'coward'?
Quote by Sora 01

Another thing people don't understand is that there are violence-free ways to serve your country. You can be a doctor, technician of some sort. Not everything requires you to "put your life on the line".
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by fridge_raider
Yeah, cos everyone in the armed forces has to fight in a war before they leave.

Lol exactly, actually the armed forces offer over 100 jobs and many of them may never require you to leave your country. Like im being an Aviation Systems technician and i will prob end up coming back to the air base at my home town and spending my time working on planes safe at home in a hangar. If by somechance they do decide to send me over seas. I will once again be safe inside a hangar far away from the front lines or on a aircraft carrier. It is a carreer worth looking at with full benefits and full pension after 25 years of service (canada not sure about others)
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
My Dad was in the United States Marine Corp. and my brother is currently enlisted. I kinda want to do it, but I don't think i'm cut out for it.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

Quote by Sora 01

No. Why not?

Well, you see, if nearly every country in the world was at war with one another there would be about a billion troops in total. The probability of me making a difference in the grand scheme of things is nonexistent to negligible. I'd rather stay off the front lines, get no glory, and have a better chance of not dying.
Quote by davidson22
Lol exactly, actually the armed forces offer over 100 jobs and many of them may never require you to leave your country. Like im being an Aviation Systems technician and i will prob end up coming back to the air base at my home town and spending my time working on planes safe at home in a hangar. If by somechance they do decide to send me over seas. I will once again be safe inside a hangar far away from the front lines or on a aircraft carrier. It is a carreer worth looking at with full benefits and full pension after 25 years of service (canada not sure about others)

Exactly my point. I have two friends who have been in the Navy three or four years, on as a chef, the other as an electrical engineer. They go on tours on their ship, but haven't had to fight, neither has hardly anyone they know. They earn a hell of a lot more than most people I went to school with, have a great time, get some useful skills they can use to get a job when they leave, and a pension paid after 12 years service.

I have heard similar things in the Army and RAF too, from people I know.

Most of the time, if you're going to fight, then you probably have a good idea before you join, because of what force you join, and what you join as.
There is poetry in despair.
I'm USAF stationed in Nebraska, NE. At my base with my career field you have to fight for a spot in the desert. I had a great time this last trip. I went to Kuwait for 4 months. I met some good people and got to learn a lot about kuwaiti culture. We had a nice gym at my base so during my off duty time I was usually working out or laying at the pool.

I'm no trained killer. I know how to use an M16, but with my line of work if I ever have to use one we're pretty much screwed.

I think it's funny when people assume that wearing the unform means you'll see combat. At least in the AF it's really not the case. Don't get me wrong, some Airmen do see combat, but not many. Most won't see anything, many will be on a base when it gets attacked by rockets or mortars.

-Tav
Quote by DanRev
"Come over to my place, no ones home"

I went, there was no one home.
No, never.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
No. I'm not against the army, I just don't want to do that for my life. My dad's in the army and I realized a few years ago that's not the kind of lifestyle I want to live
I might join up...it depends really, I'm one of those types of people who just says sod it and does stuff like that

plus I don't like the idea of sitting wars out when everyone else is involved (so BIG wars basically)

Its unlikely to happen though so I'll just get an office job and do bog all
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Yes i plan too, i'm enlisting in june when i will have a car so i can get around.

Why? Because I'll be learning a life skill doing something i love, the pay is great and there are a butt-tonne of benefits that come with it.

And for everyone saying that they don't want to get shot, you all realize there are many jobs in the military where you wont even hold a gun?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by Gunpowder
I have a ton of respect for people who have decided to serve their countries. But I'm a pacifist, and I'm not about to fight in a war for to make the rich richer at the expense of the working class.

Protest the cause, but support the troops.

well wars can actually help the working class and the economy overall. more jobs...
and i absolutely despise your last sentence. it sickens me to see people claiming to support troops that don't support the cause. you are undermining the entire morale of the military.

oh yeah, you might be "putting your life on the line" for me and all of our countrymen, but the reasons are bull**** and you shouldn't be there and your cause is broken anyway...but best of luck to ya!
i think if you really want to support the troops, you should help them find meaning and inspiration in the cause.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
well wars can actually help the working class and the economy overall. more jobs...
and i absolutely despise your last sentence. it sickens me to see people claiming to support troops that don't support the cause. you are undermining the entire morale of the military.

Yep. Thank god for Iraq, or who knows what the US economy would be like!
Quote by _Tim_
I wanted to, I changed my mind. End of.

What he said. I trained myself for about 6 months so I could be army fit then just decided it wasn't a career I want.
probably not gonna join
if anything it would be as a rescue diver in the Coast Guard though
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by alaskan_ninja
No.

Killing people isn't nice.

i believe if someone shot at you, your ideas would change very fast. i plan on goin into the U.S. Marines. my brother is already inlisted, but still in high school so.
I'm to cowardly to join.

I have a lot of respect for those who choose to join, however.
The.
Page 1 of 4