I recently found a used Randall RG100SC for $300 and I was wondering what the general opinion was of this amp's tone in terms of hard rock and metal. (Mainly thrash and death). This amp is the 212 combo with Celestion 70/80's and a built in chorus.
It's pretty good for what you want to play. Obviously other things would do better, but that would probably mean more money.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
It's the tube one right? if it is, when I tried it, during my metalhead stage, I really liked it. And I had an ear for tone back then. But, I got over my metal phase, and started playin the blues.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's the tube one right? if it is, when I tried it, during my metalhead stage, I really liked it. And I had an ear for tone back then. But, I got over my metal phase, and started playin the blues.

It's actually not the valve one. It's one of the G2 series amps, the predecessor of the current RH/RG amplifiers. It's great for a full frontal heavy metal assault, but for anything else I'd recommend others.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I love my Randall...a bit noisy, but if you run a noise suppressor in the loop you'll be golden
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I was comparing it to the Randall RG50TC and I was wondering how much better the tone of this amp would be at gig/jam level volumes, then the RG100SC. I jam with a very loud drummer and the other guitarist has a decent halfstack. Both amps have very similar specs but the RG50 is tube whereas the other is solid state.
Quote by Exodus217
I was comparing it to the Randall RG50TC and I was wondering how much better the tone of this amp would be at gig/jam level volumes, then the RG100SC. I jam with a very loud drummer and the other guitarist has a decent halfstack. Both amps have very similar specs but the RG50 is tube whereas the other is solid state.

Try them out and see which one you like! 50 watts is sufficiently loud for most any applications.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Try them out and see which one you like! 50 watts is sufficiently loud for most any applications.

The only problem is that I can not crank up either of the amps, due to the fact that they are at a local pawnshop. Therefore, I'm not sure which one would sound better in a live band situation. I forgot to mention that my current amp is a Crate GT212 and I was curious as to whether or not the Randall would be much of an improvement tonewise.
Quote by Exodus217
The only problem is that I can not crank up either of the amps, due to the fact that they are at a local pawnshop. Therefore, I'm not sure which one would sound better in a live band situation. I forgot to mention that my current amp is a Crate GT212 and I was curious as to whether or not the Randall would be much of an improvement tonewise.

In short. Yes there would be an improvement. Generally speaking, the louder a solid-state gets, the shoddier it sounds. With valve amps its the opposite. You never know though, you might like the SS Randall better.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster