Page 1 of 2
Hello.
I have been wondering for a while if there are any musical peices by classical composers (eg. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc) that sound kind dark and spooky? Like in a minor key that sounds "evil" so to speak? Im looking for something that isnt like a slow, "happy" piece, but something darker. Is there anything out there?? Thanks.
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Quote by St. Angry
Hello.
I have been wondering for a while if there are any musical peices by classical composers (eg. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc) that sound kind dark and spooky? Like in a minor key that sounds "evil" so to speak? Im looking for something that isnt like a slow, "happy" piece, but something darker. Is there anything out there?? Thanks.

There's that one infamous piece that, ironically, I can't remember the name of. It sound's rather dark and epic, I'll look for it.
Quote by deathbat831
^you mean like that one that goes, "da da da daaaaa, da da da daaaaa" right?

No.
Quote by Doppelgänger
Look into some 20th century music. A lot composers dabbled in dissonance and atonal works, if that's what you mean.

EDIT:

Something like this maybe?

I liked that a lot.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Dude....

Mahler... Shostakovich.... both were brilliant with that.

I prefer Shostakovich, Mahler takes forever to get anywhere...

In particular, Shostakovich's 11th symphony... the second movement in particular is badass
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Hmmm....i look into those. But really the only "darkish" ones i know of are Beethovens "Fifth" and Edvard Crieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King." So yeah ANYTHING would be cool! I wanna learn more classical stuff so i know a wider range of music on ma guitar. =P
(\__|)

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Pretty much any Russian composer will do. :P

Tchaikovsky is a good one. He has a few depressing compositions.

A great song you could look for is one called "Night on the Bald Mountain." That's not by Tchaikovsky, but it's worth listening to.
Scriabin's Black Mass Sonata is pretty dark, and demented sounding.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by St. Angry
Hmmm....i look into those. But really the only "darkish" ones i know of are Beethovens "Fifth" and Edvard Crieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King." So yeah ANYTHING would be cool! I wanna learn more classical stuff so i know a wider range of music on ma guitar. =P

Have you ever thought of playing the violin?
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
Moonlight Sonata

Oh yeah....i like that song. But its too slow, IMO. But i still like it.
Da da da..Da da da...Do da da...do da da...
(\__|)

yeah, Shostakovich has made darker stuff, as he was running from the commies his whole life. Check out "Mars", from Holst's "the planets", also there was that one, that keeps repeating, and keeps getting faster, i forgot what it was. Something about the Hall of Mountain King, or just Mountain King, or something. I dunno.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by deathbat831
oh

But thanks for trying to help, this is driving me insane now.

Surely someone remembers it's name, it's based on the violin melody and starts with a single quiet violin, then get louder and the rest of the orchestra join in. It was recently on the advert for the new Terminator series (not the terminator theme)...
Try to find a piece called "Utrenya" i've seen it spelled a number of different ways, but this is definitely what you are looking for. And no i can't remember who wrote it.
Quote by brandon369852
Have you ever thought of playing the violin?

I already play cello, thank you. But violin is something id like to learn.
(\__|)

Quote by St. Angry
I already play cello, thank you. But violin is something id like to learn.

I play violin, and I want to learn the cello....
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by akaDan
But thanks for trying to help, this is driving me insane now.

Surely someone remembers it's name, it's based on the violin melody and starts with a single quiet violin, then get louder and the rest of the orchestra join in. It was recently on the advert for the new Terminator series (not the terminator theme)...

are you thinking of Canon in D?
When all else fails, ask the pit.
umm duuh Toccata and Fugue in Dm and Chopins Nocturnes(particularly D flat) Die Walkure(Ride of the Valkyries) by Wagner
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
are you thinking of Canon in D?

No, but thanks, I see where you got that from with the violin part
Cello ftw. Yeah, I should get some classical music on my iPod. Some of it's boring but some of it can be quiet beautiful. I think classical music is one of the only kinds of music that can tap into any emotion.
If you want Mozart, his greatest work (or what many say is his greatest) is his famous Reqiuem in D Minor. It's 14 movements. He wrote it while he was dying. The first 10 are by Mozart, the rest were finished by others. I've listened to the whole thing, and my favorite movements are the first (titled just "Reqiuem") and the 8th (titled "Lacrimosa" or sometimes "Lacrymosa"). It's a very haunting work, and Mozart stated he was writing it for his funeral. And a Reqiuem is a funeral mass. Lacrimosa is probably the most famous movement. The whole choir, violinists, etc. played it for Mozart before he died (the movements he had finished) and Lacrimosa is reported to have brought him to tears.

That being said, I think it fits the criteria perfectly for what your asking.

Here is Lacrimosa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPz5B-TA1w

If you search on iTunes, you should be able to find the whole Requiem by the Duke Chapel choir for free. That's where I got it.

Also, Bach organ works in minor keys are very good.
Quote by lobster624
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach sounds very evil

Amazing peice of work
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by The Madcap
If you want Mozart, his greatest work (or what many say is his greatest) is his famous Reqiuem in D Minor. It's 14 movements. He wrote it while he was dying. The first 10 are by Mozart, the rest were finished by others. I've listened to the whole thing, and my favorite movements are the first (titled just "Reqiuem") and the 8th (titled "Lacrimosa" or sometimes "Lacrymosa"). It's a very haunting work, and Mozart stated he was writing it for his funeral. And a Reqiuem is a funeral mass. Lacrimosa is probably the most famous movement. The whole choir, violinists, etc. played it for Mozart before he died (the movements he had finished) and Lacrimosa is reported to have brought him to tears.

Here is Lacrimosa:

If you search on iTunes, you should be able to find the whole Requiem by the Duke Chapel choir for free. That's where I got it.

I've never listened to that all the way through, but it was beautiful. I should look into more classical stuff.
Quote by deathbat831
^you mean like that one that goes, "da da da daaaaa, da da da daaaaa" right?

TOCCATA AND FUGUE BY J.S. BACH.

God dammit, learn your baroque.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

God dammit, learn your baroque.
I thought it was the beginning of the 1st movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony. Perhaps you should learn your late classical/early romantic transition era.

[/snob]

Quote by The Madcap
I thought it was the beginning of the 1st movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony. Perhaps you should learn your late classical/early romantic transition era.

[/snob]

You got served.

Classical style
Anyone know what the mad classical extract is at the start of Ministry's "No W"? Been used a lot but it's the only example I can think of at the moment. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

EDIT: No worries, found it. Turns out it was Carl Orff's "O, Fortuna" from his Carmina Burana opera.
Last edited by Ankou at Feb 17, 2008,
Vivaldi's Winter
RIP:
"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
Clifford Lee Burton

You'll all be missed

Disciple of Åkerfeldtism
Quote by The Madcap

Here is Lacrimosa:

Really, I've always wanted to have the whole Requiem but could only get 2 or three movements
Quote by The Madcap

[/snob]

Winrar.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Lacrimosa is so amazing but it's so overplayed, like the beginning to Beethovens 5th. It kinda takes something away from it.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by thefuzz454
Lacrimosa is so amazing but it's so overplayed, like the beginning to Beethovens 5th. It kinda takes something away from it.

I don't mind at all overplayness. The only thing that annoys me is that it prevents me from hearing new classical stuff...
Quote by Baasoromyuu
Scriabin's Black Mass Sonata is pretty dark, and demented sounding.

I'll 2nd this for obvious reasons.

Vers La Flamme also would do well as would Scriabin's 5th sonata. A sextet by Schoenberg is also a great piece...unfortunately I can't recall the opus number but it's quite popular and can probably be found on youtube.

Found a recording for blackmass on youtube btw by the famous Vladimir Sofronitsky http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp0yVCh5OKM&feature=related
Page 1 of 2