I play a Sambora Strat thru a Marshall MGDFX 50. I only play for recreation (meaning, the amp & guitar never leave my bedroom). I rarely play the amp volume above 2. However, I'm looking for a sound - very '80s hair band-ish (- nice distortion, with easy pinch harmonics). Since I don't crank the Marshall, are there any pedals I could buy to achieve the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Well considering you have an MG, I would think that a Boss Metal Zone would go well with a Solid State amp.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Screw the Metal Zone. Ive only had bad experiences with it. Get a Metal Muff. They are more trebly, which is what a hair metal sound mostly is.
I'm looking for a distortion with not a lot of feedback. Also, a warm sounding distortion, too. How 'bout a Boss DS-2?
Last edited by robryan29 at Feb 17, 2008,
Metal Muff is the same pedal as the Metal Zone really. Hair metal isn't about treble anyway. Its about having a cutting sound with lots of mids and presence. My advise would be to save a bit for a nice used tube amp of some kind. JCM800 or JCM900 combo, Laney combo, etc.
What? NO! I had a Hyper Metal. Total opposite. Its a very heavy, scooped sound. ITs for numetal, not hair metal.
Well if you want to go super cheap, try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-HM-2-Heavy-Metal-Pedal-HM2-Black-Label_W0QQitemZ310023822943QQihZ021QQcategoryZ41420QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had one of these way back in the day, it actually wasn't a bad pedal.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Your MG's distortion at volume 2 should be fine - MG's dont need to (and shouldn't really) be cranked. My MG15 is fine and I'm a huge Sambora fan. I have my gain at 3 o clock, low bass and high treble+mids.

Lucky you with a Sambora Strat!

JCM800/900 is probably a good bet, but at bedroom volumes I'm not so sure.

I know Richie used a DS1 somewhere along the line, but whether that was with his Fender amps or JCM800 I'm not sure.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Thanks, Chex. The Sambora Strat was the best $1600 I ever spent. They're pretty hard to come by (check eBay every now and then for one). I just watched your YouTube link - pretty cool sound. And that's from your MG15?
Yeah. The recording probably makes it sound better than it actually is, but considering I never turn the volume past 3 I find it ok.

I'm left handed so a Sambora Strat is a no go for me :'(

Thanks for the compliment I'm gonna do some more Sambora solos when I have the time.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by dsubstanceuk
You have a very nice guitar, and I think you should be looking for a new amplifier rather than a digital sounding pedal combined with an even more digital sounding amplifier.

What's your budget?

Most distortion pedals can't sound 'digital'. They're not digital devices, they're analogue circuits with transistors in them. Yes, transistors can also be used in a digital circuit, but so can tubes.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Tell that to a Flextone. Distortion on a digital Flextone sounds infinitely better then the distortion from an analogue Boss Metal Zone.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I agree you should be looking for a new amp. The amp you have isn't doing your guitar any justice at all, but seeing as you said you only play your amp at 2, I'm honestly not sure what to suggest. But seriously, the MG is one of the worst amps you can buy, I seriously doubt that guitar you have sounds any different in it than a cheap MIM strat.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ +1

it's harsh but true. you're running a $1600 guitar through a $300 (which should be about $50) amp. That's your problem.

granted that 80's sound will be hard to achieve perfectly without running a hot-rodded marshall-style amp at full pelt, but you should be able to get closer than your mg, even at low volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry, i just scrolled down to the bottom and missed your post, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?