Page 1 of 2
I want to build a PC for aorund £500, but I haven't kept up qitht he latest models and technologies, so I have no idea what I should be looking at.

Basically, I want a gaming machine that'll run msot any game out (bar Crysis). What are some good graphics cards I should take a look at?

I'm building the system from scratch, so I'll need everything, right down to the PSU. However, I already own all the periperhals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so no need to worry about those. Nor do I need any optial drives, as I already have some.

I'm looking for a quad-core, uber-graphics rape machine, if possible.

Any recommendations woul dbe fine. I know I'm being horribly unspecific here, but I really don't know where to start. I've built PCs before, I just don't know what spec and models I should be lookin at for the current generation of games for PCs.

Thanks.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
500 is a bit low...how about using some existing parts, such as moniitor and PSU...possibly ram depending n its clok speed and model.

EDIT : scratch that didnt rea dfull post.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
£500 wont build a gaming machine sorry

Get a PS3 and install Linux on it maybe?
Quote by Preid

If you know what your doing it will. I'm assuming 500 pounds is around $1000 US. You can make a good gaming machine with that much. Unless parts are way more expensive over there.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
If you know what your doing it will. I'm assuming 500 pounds is around $1000 US. You can make a good gaming machine with that much. Unless parts are way more expensive over there.

Lol get pricing out the parts then, lets see what you come up with.
agreed 500 pounds is too low. minimum 750 or so check out tomshardware and newegg for some ideas. i know tomshardware does 'budget' builds pretty often
$1000 for a gaming pc is more than adequate.

Woops, checked the currency exchange rate. It's more along the lines of $750.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Last edited by Generalpwnt at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by Preid

Get a PS3 and install Linux on it maybe?

Seriously? My friend built a geat gaming machine for less than £400.

I had a look on various websites, and even with a lot of great parts, the price range didn't even exceed £500. I'm willing to spend mroe if it takes more, but I thought £500 was a decent sum for a Motherboard, Graphics card and Processor. They're the three main components, everything else can be paid for ith excess funds.

You're telling me I can't get a good g-card, mobo and proccessor for £500? If so, I'm so far out of touch I'm embaressed.

EDIT: I don't want a PS3, I want a PC.

Quote by Preid
Lol get pricing out the parts then, lets see what you come up with.

I've already checked how much it would be to make a capable gaming machine. It turned out around $1000 US. That did not include monitor. You just have to be able to assemble it yourself (which I probably couldn't do).
just looking around, these will be the main components:

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB- £190 (actually, just get the GT)

Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - £130

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail £170

+ some Hard drives, £40?

DVD drive, £20?

Monitor, £130 or so.

You wont need a case/chassis since you are on a budget.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I've already checked how much it would be to make a capable gaming machine. It turned out around $1000 US. That did not include monitor. You just have to be able to assemble it yourself (which I probably couldn't do).

Like I said, I'm building it myself; I know how to do that. I'm not looking fo a pre-built system here, I'm looking for components.

Quote by FischmungaXTR
just looking around, these will be the main components:

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB- £190 (actually, just get the GT)

Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - £130

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail £170

+ some Hard drives, £40?

DVD drive, £20?

Monitor, £130 or so.

You wont need a case/chassis since you are on a budget.

Thanks. I'd prefer an AMD, though.

Also, I don;t need a monitor or an optical drve.

Graphics card? I have a BFG 8800GT, works like a charm. It'l cost you a mere 250 bucks and it's the 3rd best graphics card out there!
Quote by Smokey Amp
Like I said, I'm building it myself; I know how to do that. I'm not looking fo a pre-built system here, I'm looking for components.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. 500 pounds should be fine.
Quote by Smokey Amp

Thanks. I'd prefer an AMD, though.

Also, I don;t need a monitor or an optical drve.

You would really prefer AMD...?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Rocking-Rob
whilst £500 may = $1000 dollars, you can't buy as much with £500 over here as you can with $1000 in america

Oh. That sucks then. How much would it be to order from an American store and have it shipped?
These are the components I need:

Motherboard
Processor
Graphics Card
PSU
RAM
Sound Card (Not paramount)
NIC (Not paramount)

Nothing else.

Quote by Generalpwnt
You would really prefer AMD...?

I hear it's far better for gaming.

Quote by Smokey Amp
I hear it's far better for gaming.

It is. But Intel still isn't that bad. I like AMD.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh. That sucks then. How much would it be to order from an American store and have it shipped?

a asmall warhead capable of knocking out luxemburg.
Gear:
Quote by SeveralSpecies

it would still equal the same what with shipping costs and additional tax

the only way of getting it cheaper from america is having someone buy it there and send it as a gift
Quote by x0rsist
a asmall warhead capable of knocking out luxemburg.

Christ almighty. Nevermind that idea
Quote by Mike!
Graphics card? I have a BFG 8800GT, works like a charm. It'l cost you a mere 250 bucks and it's the 3rd best graphics card out there!

qft.

but what is the 2nd best one? im gonna guess that the 8800 GTX Ultra is #1, but i have no idea what the 2nd is. the 8800GT beat out the GTS in lots of benchmark tests, but that could be complete bs.
Quote by metaldud536
what about RAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????

RAM's cheap and easy to install, I'm not fussed about that. I did mention it in a later post, though.

You can get 4GB of DDR2 RAM for around £60.00

Quote by metaldud536
what about RAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????

ram isnt really that important, i mean going and buying some immense cooled massive heatsink jobbies. Some plain and simple pc 6800 or so ram will do the job niceley. low latency mai arse.
Gear:
Quote by Smokey Amp
RAM's cheap and easy to install, I'm not fussed about that. I did mention it in a later post, though.

You can get 4GB of DDR2 RAM for around £60.00

Oh I thought you were going to use the same sticks of RAAMMMMMMMMMM and therefore limiting your mobo options.
AMD was better for gaming, about 5 years ago. Things have changed alot.

now they're in a bit of trouble, and the newest intels (Q9xxx) apparently arent that reliable either.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
AMD was better for gaming, about 5 years ago. Things have changed alot.

now they're in a bit of trouble, and the newest intels (Q9xxx) apparently arent that reliable either.

Ah, I see. So, Intel would be a good choice?

Quote by Smokey Amp
Ah, I see. So, Intel would be a good choice?

Yes.

Probably not as cheap though.

But I'd rather buy from a company that isn't at risk of disappearing in the not too distant future.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

AMD aren't really up to par w/ intel. in past years AMD was top dog but now intel is just faster. Right now i have the intel q6600, which really is an amazing processor, i have it overclocked to a stable 3GHz. You will want RAM w/ a fast timing, i believe mine have 4-4-4-12 and it was about $50 so roughly around 25-30 pounds. I don't know much about motherboards, but i have intel's d975xbx2 mobo, which supports the DDR2 ram your going to want for a gaming machine. you won't be able to SLi but you will be able to crossfire i believe on it. I'm using EVGA's 8800gt 512mb which is probably still the best card for price/performance. from their your going to want you HDD's and your dvd drives.
Cool. You seem to know what you're talking about.

Would you mind if I PMed you at some point to ask you abouy specific specs for a setup after I've looked aorund the net for a bit? I don't see this thread lasting much longer due to the vague content.

If so, cheers.

Quote by enjoi91
AMD aren't really up to par w/ intel. in past years AMD was top dog but now intel is just faster. Right now i have the intel q6600, which really is an amazing processor, i have it overclocked to a stable 3GHz. You will want RAM w/ a fast timing, i believe mine have 4-4-4-12 and it was about $50 so roughly around 25-30 pounds. I don't know much about motherboards, but i have intel's d975xbx2 mobo, which supports the DDR2 ram your going to want for a gaming machine. you won't be able to SLi but you will be able to crossfire i believe on it. I'm using EVGA's 8800gt 512mb which is probably still the best card for price/performance. from their your going to want you HDD's and your dvd drives.

SLi? Corssfire? These terms mean nothing to me. Care to give an explanation?

Quote by Smokey Amp

SLi = double NVIDIA card

Crossfire = double ATI cards

I think
Intel all the way coming from an amd fanboy still running a althlon 64 3800+ processor. Intels dual core chips destroyed them a long time ago.
Gear:
Quote by Smokey Amp

SLI and Crossfire is the ability to use use TWO graphic cards at the same time. SLI is what NVIDIA calls it and Crossfire is what ATI calls it.
Why not check out a premade bundle?

If not, here are some good sites to order from:

www.novatech.co.uk (the best)
www.cclonline.co.uk

I can honestly say they are probably the cheapest websites you'll find. They're damn quick too.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Page 1 of 2