Well, i am an aspiring music producer and engineer, and i have been looking for an interface for my macbook to use with garage band (yeah, i know, not he best). I bought an M Audio fire wire interface, and it said that my laptop was actually too NEW, it must just be outdated. Can someone recommend me a cheap ($300 tops) high quality interface to do recordings of all instruments (guitar, keys, bass, vocals, drums, etc). I have a mixing board so i don't have to worry about inputs. Thanks!
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
I'm not sure if it works for macs but the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface is a nice unit.

with the docking base you can feed a mixer into the interface to record all those drum mics without any problem.

If you are serious about recording its suggested that you upgrade from the start and get the best gear you can so you don't have to buy twice. The Yamaha 01V96V2 digi mixer and Alesis HD24 recorder are a great pair from what I've been told.

.......I cant wait to save up enough to get those two items myself...but without any job its going to take a while...
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 17, 2008,
mate i would upgrade quite a bit, but i would say your best bet for now would be a tone port and use th abiltin live software it comes with. Eitehr that or tehre are some sweet USB sound desks which work well
I have a word of advice for you and anybody who wants to be a recording engineer and such things like that.

Learn a lot.

Really though, I have a friend who has probably 3 000$ worth of recording eqipement but knows virtually nothing about sound.

Doubt that helps you much but...
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Are you sure you've gotten the latest possible drivers for that interface? If so, and it's still a problem, then the Onyx Satellite's good, especially if you want to connect monitors and hardware effects...compressors like the FMR RNC.
If you're an aspiring music producer you shouldn't start with a computer system. Get a 16-channel analog mixer and an 8-track tape, DAT, or HD recorder. A setup like this will teach you so much more about recording than a few mouse clicks on a macbook ever will.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
If you're an aspiring music producer you shouldn't start with a computer system. Get a 16-channel analog mixer and an 8-track tape, DAT, or HD recorder. A setup like this will teach you so much more about recording than a few mouse clicks on a macbook ever will.

8 track tape are like prehistoric so if you really wanted to lean about recording you should use a computer because that what you would use if you ever did become a engineer. But back to the question. I have a tascam us-144 I got for like $80 and it comes with Cubase LE and it has phantom power
Quote by master_ofmetal
8 track tape are like prehistoric so if you really wanted to lean about recording you should use a computer because that what you would use if you ever did become a engineer.

Are you preaching ignorance over experience?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
the guys right, analog is the way to go to learn,. teachs you all about wiring up properly, you need to work for a good sound and it means when you get onto digital you can record much better as you dont rely on mic inhances, or auto-in box's, you record properly with good mic's and with good amps and with the right positioning and everything, oh and it makes you sooo much better for acoustic instruemnts, and you can make them sound like what you want more, not the pc ****, BRING BACK THE ANALOG!!!
Is the interface you had before the Firewire 410?
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe