#1
I just wanted to show you guys what I made yesterday.

I bought a Tremol-no for the Damien FR I just got, because I wanted to be able to do double-stops and increase the sustain, but retain the FR without much trouble. The Tremol-no works pretty well, but I didn't like keeping the cavity open.

I thought of modifying the stock plate, but decided to make a new one. I thought of using polycarbonate at first, but poked around the junk bins at my work and found a nice piece of .0625" thick stainless. It's a few thousandths thinner than the stock plate, but I can always shim it.

So I traced the original plate profile onto the piece of stainless, and cut it out roughly with the band saw. I regret not taking pics of the process, but it was at my workplace, and I didn't feel like taking the trouble.

I threw it on a mill and got it squared-up, then milled the sides down to match the overall size of the original plate. Once that was done, I measured and traced the opening size that I eyeballed on the guitar, and threw it back on the mill. I originally planned on using a 1" diameter end mill, but that's a lot of stainless to cut at once, so I started with 1/4" instead, and ended up just finishing with it. I think a rounded rectangle matches the overall shape better than a slot with rounded ends would, yeah?

With that done, I again lined up the original plate with the new, and traced the rounded corners and hole locations. I shaved down the fillets using the belt sander (bye eye, again), and drilled and counter-sunk the holes. All the measuring and cutting took me about an hour.

I spent about another hour with a hand deburring tool, the deburring wheel, and the polishing wheel to get it to look somewhat respectable. There are a few surface dings that I didn't bother to remove, and left the finish basically brushed more than polished. I did spend a few minutes on the front side with the polishing wheel and some fine medium.

After cleaning it good with alcohol, I gave the front side two coats of laquer. It would have been nice to actually polish the stainless to a mirror finish, but I lacked the time and motivation.

So here's how it turned out. Not perfect, but good enough for me!









#2
That looks great, a nice way to solve a problem. Have you thought about doing the electronics cavity in a similar way? I'm a big fan of things matching up on my guitars, although I know this mightn't be the case with you.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
#3
Pretty cool, good job




Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
#4
Good idea, TRH, I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, it would look better with a matching electronics plate!

A good project for the next Saturday I have to work!
#5
Nice, I personally tend to keep my blackplates off my guitars with tremolos, it's too much of a hassle with you want to muck around in there.
#6
I made an electronics cavity cover to match the tremolo cavity cover. Not perfect, but hey, I am human.