while playing single notes, not like chords aparently, where should i place my hand. ive been playing for about a year and just got a guitar teacher who showed me chords but i havent really asked or learned about what to do with my right hand. ive seen some ppl put a pinky down at the bottom but thats awkward for my hand and when doing scales i kinda gatta stretch my fingers if i just lay my wrist/palm at the top of the guitar
any advice thanks
when you say you lay your wrist/palm at the top of the guitar, do you mean the body or on the bridge?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
body, like the right side of my wrist is above the bridge so that my fingers pick around the middle pickup, of the 3 i have on my ibanez
if you have to ground (some say it's a bad thing, but i do it anyway personally), i'd move your hand to the bridge if possible. grounding is just having part of your picking hand on the guitar, if you didn't know. i keep mine where the pick naturally rests just above the d string, though i move it depending on what strings i'm playing on. from what you're saying it sounds like quite a stretch to get to the highest strings, and that's going to impair your playing. but you should figure out what's comfortable and gives you access to all the strings.
on the bridge of course is comfortable but im gettin that yknow dumb twangy "too close to the bridge" sound.
Quote by Nightfyre
if you have to ground (some say it's a bad thing, but i do it anyway personally), i'd move your hand to the bridge if possible. grounding is just having part of your picking hand on the guitar, if you didn't know. i keep mine where the pick naturally rests just above the d string, though i move it depending on what strings i'm playing on. from what you're saying it sounds like quite a stretch to get to the highest strings, and that's going to impair your playing. but you should figure out what's comfortable and gives you access to all the strings.

yeh actually, i just tryed this its alot easier cuz i can move my hand down to the string im playing without actually hitting it, compared to before the strings disabled my hands from moving down. thanks